What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs at the Combine

My favorite DT moment last year was against Nowledge. Hopefully this link will start around 25:50. First, Mang flashes his potential as a play maker. Buffs! finally get on the board and then DT makes a statement tackle with his speed on the ensuing Nobbler first down. Still makes me happy, even with the disappointment over the end of the season and getting shanked by midnight.

Thanks for posting that!

Saw where Davion’s official time was 4.49–he had a pretty good combine and could certainly get drafted based on his athletic potential. Vista will probably see his stock drop, but if he can get healthy, some team (hopefully the Giants) is going to get a steal in the 2nd or 3rd.

My favorite DT moment last year was against Nowledge. Hopefully this link will start around 25:50. First, Mang flashes his potential as a play maker. Buffs! finally get on the board and then DT makes a statement tackle with his speed on the ensuing Nobbler first down. Still makes me happy, even with the disappointment over the end of the season and getting shanked by midnight.

The back to back plays by Mangham is exactly why I believe he was better than Fontnot last year and will prove to be a very good player.

There is no way Viska drops to the 3rd injury history or not.

Taylor helped his stock for sure. Worst case he will make an impact on special teams with his speed/explosiveness/hitting, so I think teams are going to be more willing to take a flyer on him because that raises his floor significantly.

Viska’s injuries were probably due to being a work horse for us. If Montez is faster than Viska, why were we running the wildcat so much with Viska? I know he is more athletic, but Montez is pretty tough too.

Viska’s injuries were probably due to being a work horse for us. If Montez is faster than Viska, why were we running the wildcat so much with Viska? I know he is more athletic, but Montez is pretty tough too.

Viska's instincts as a ball carrier are to run over/through the other guy. Montez's instincts as a ball carrier are to protect himself, sometimes at the expense of getting the first down and/or extra yardage.

(I'm not criticizing a QB for protecting himself as a runner, btw, just explaining why he wasn't the best choice for situations where we ended running the wildcat.)

Montez is just not an instinctive runner. Though he's fast enough in a straight line, he can't seem to avoid tacklers.

Last edited:
I take your point, but he was the starter for three years, and for three years we were 5-7 and were one game away from a bowl. And for three years Montez would make the same easily avoidable mistakes, again and again and again, and they would cost us at least a couple wins a year. And every year, he would say the right things, a new guru would come in, he would look great in practice, and then make the same mistakes all over again in actual games. He is, easily, the most frustrating qb to play for CU in my memory.

Im not rooting for him to fail, and I dont think anybody else here is either. But hearing people nationally talk about montez looking great in practice, and how his mechanics are getting fixed, etc. is like being poked at with a lit cigarette. He is not moldable, coachable or fixable.
Well he was frustrating for us, sure, but I am optimistic he could be successful at the next level. Same concerns as you, sure, but his time at CU is over and he is part of CU’s legacy now and his success is our success.

We ain’t NFL scouts. I’m proud of him going out there and putting his best foot forward. No sour grapes. Go get ‘em Monty.

I hope Montez gets in a good situation, and figures some things out. I don't know how many, with his issues, have been fixed over the years. They aren't physical issues. Teaching situational awareness and being calm under pressure seems to be a pretty damn hard thing to get across to someone. It's not impossible, but it's mostly either you have that or you don't, is what I've seen over the years. Hopefully, it works out for him, he's a Buff.

The back to back plays by Mangham is exactly why I believe he was better than Fontnot last year and will prove to be a very good player.
I don’t think Mangham’s ball skills kept him off the field. Probably came down to pass protection or some nuance in decision making. He was a freshman and it can be fixed.

tenor.gif

Best of Luck to Steven - hope he sticks somewhere and makes a few $$$$.....

Back