What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

I think this is mostly true. I’m sure there are outposts in the university that aren’t yet filled with DiStephano acolytes but I’d bet they’re considered heretics.

I’m from a three generation CU Boulder alum family. That’s now ended. My two sons withdrew this past year. No intention of going back.
Neither of my kids are going there. My spouse and I are both CU alums. FWIW.

Phil is a brown noser, that has been failing upwards literally his entire career at CU. Shockingly brown-nosing is now commonplace in departments throughout the University, driving off talent and alienating those who stay. It's not just the AD, it's the entire University.
Academia has been a good place for mediocre people to hide and thrive with little consequence. Especially administrative types. It's a shame.

Academia Any organization with >500 employees has been a good place for mediocre people to hide and thrive with little consequence. Especially administrative types. It's a shame.
FIFY

This isn't some problem that is unique to academia and/or government. It's a structural problem in nearly any organization (including businesses - even very succussful and profitable ones) with more than a couple hundred employees.

FIFY

This isn't some problem that is unique to academia and/or government. It's a structural problem in nearly any organization (including businesses - even very succussful and profitable ones) with more than a couple hundred employees.
I PRETTY MUCH agree, but in a private business there will often be an underling in whose interest it is to expunge the Phils of the world and take their job(s). In academic there's more room for multiple Phils IMHO. But your point is well taken.

I PRETTY MUCH agree, but in a private business there will often be an underling in whose interest it is to expunge the Phils of the world and take their job(s). In academic there's more room for multiple Phils IMHO. But your point is well taken.
Oh, there's almost always an underling who would benefit. The question is always how much power do the various parties have. It usually takes a long time for underlings to build up the power necessary to topple a ****ty manager - whether the employer is public or private.

Why? Because of the football program or because they have interest in experiencing something different? @Bliff Cranch
Neither was a CU football fan, despite my allegiance. They couldn’t have cared less about it and that’s mostly due to the program totally sucking for their entire lives.

Reasons for leaving mostly surround dissatisfaction with the campus experience. Too much partying and the d-bags that come with it; frustrations with departments, inefficiencies in getting classes, and the flipping back and forth between in-class and remote learning. They’re taking time off due to COVID and both are not good remote learners and need classroom interaction. When the time comes to get back into it, they’ll probably work and take classes at night somewhere, maybe out of state.

It is what it is.

Why? Because of the football program or because they have interest in experiencing something different? @Bliff Cranch
Not going to answer for Bliff, but in my personal experience, my child was accepted to CU (among others) and decided to go to another school that took a more active and involved approach to her academic and social well-being. Funny thing is, my kid is a huge basketball fan and if athletics was even a consideration, CU would have probably been the choice. It goes well beyond athletics. CU-Boulder is poorly run.

Not going to answer for Bliff, but in my personal experience, my child was accepted to CU (among others) and decided to go to another school that took a more active and involved approach to her academic and social well-being. Funny thing is, my kid is a huge basketball fan and if athletics was even a consideration, CU would have probably been the choice. It goes well beyond athletics. CU-Boulder is poorly run.
That's fair. I'm genuinely curious what a more active and involved approach to academic and social well-being looks like at a pretty large University. Are you able to expound on that?

That's fair. I'm genuinely curious what a more active and involved approach to academic and social well-being looks like at a pretty large University. Are you able to expound on that?
My child chose a school with one sixth the number of undergraduates, so that definitely has an impact. It’s also a private school, not public. That said, there are ways a larger institution can up their game in this arena. More resources at the department level, better and more academic advising, and smaller class sizes. CU is definitely a sink or swim environment. That works fine for some. It’s a recipe for disaster for others. To that end, I was involved in a conversation with Phil D at a conference several years ago. He said they were trying really hard to improve their Freshman retention rate. I thought he was full of bull**** at the time and it turns out I was right.

My child chose a school with one sixth the number of undergraduates, so that definitely has an impact. It’s also a private school, not public. That said, there are ways a larger institution can up their game in this arena. More resources at the department level, better and more academic advising, and smaller class sizes. CU is definitely a sink or swim environment. That works fine for some. It’s a recipe for disaster for others. To that end, I was involved in a conversation with Phil D at a conference several years ago. He said they were trying really hard to improve their Freshman retention rate. I thought he was full of bull**** at the time and it turns out I was right.
Got it. I suspected the enrollment numbers were likely the major factor. I guess I have always viewed CU as a party school with a lot of students and a decent academic reputation, and I think that's how most people view it, particularly from out of state and why it's such a destination school for CA and East Coasters. I think part of what comes with that is less instruction, less one on one counseling, and obviously larger class sizes.

In my opinion, the entire college experience is what you make of it and the independence/sink or swim was the best part of it for me. If I needed help academically, it was up to me to go into office hours, attend the recitations, or make sure I actually went to class more frequently, along with seeking out guidance from the counselors. I'm sure the University and Boulder campus specifically has its shortcomings, but it was never something I was aware of I guess.

Mine will be an incoming freshman this fall at CU. She is going into the Bio-Chem department with the ultimate goal of medical school. She chose CU because she wanted to save money getting her undergrad by going instate and, for her 'school parameters', CU was the best choice. She's excited and we are for her. Needless to say, a quality football program was not one of her 'parameters'.

It's a similar path my wife went down. CU undergrad in molecular biology, then CU medical school.

On Phil, I see a guy whose main qualification for becoming Chancellor was "he's been there a long time, filled in a couple times when we needed an interim, will do what he's told, and won't make waves."

Since that's my perception of why he was hired and also retained, I see a major problem at the Regent and President level. Horrible leadership.

Then, he meddles while not holding people like RG accountable for achieving a vision for their department. So I'm not even ready to go off on RG because I have no idea how badly his hands have been tied or how his job priorities have been described to him.

To the earlier ranking conversation, this is why I come in as:

1. Hire a good president.
2. Replace Phil.
3a. Lobby the state to change the BOR so that it's not a political stepping stone position.
3b. Set job performance expectations for RG, give him the resources needed, and replace him if they are not reached.

Neither was a CU football fan, despite my allegiance. They couldn’t have cared less about it and that’s mostly due to the program totally sucking for their entire lives.

Reasons for leaving mostly surround dissatisfaction with the campus experience. Too much partying and the d-bags that come with it; frustrations with departments, inefficiencies in getting classes, and the flipping back and forth between in-class and remote learning. They’re taking time off due to COVID and both are not good remote learners and need classroom interaction. When the time comes to get back into it, they’ll probably work and take classes at night somewhere, maybe out of state.

It is what it is.
The remote learning part, my son was the same way in Connections Academy. Truth be told, I didn't like it either. He asked to do that after the shooting at Aztec High School. He got freaked out over that. Took a lot of work but he'll be in college next year once he decides where.

KD actually has a better record than McIntyre. And he has had to deal with more stuff like NIL, Covid, transfer portal and etc.

KD actually has a better record than McIntyre. And he has had to deal with more stuff like NIL, Covid, transfer portal and etc.
MM's record at CU: 30-45 0.405 winning percentage
KD's record at CU: 8-10 0.444 winning percentage

Yep, that's an enormous difference. It's HUGE. His record is an ENTIRE 0.9 percentage point better!

What you keep failing to ever address is that every single other coach in the entirety of college football is also dealing with NIL, Covid, transfer portal and etc.

If any of those things were only happening to CU, then maybe it would be relevant.

MM's record at CU: 30-45 0.405 winning percentage
KD's record at CU: 8-10 0.444 winning percentage

Yep, that's an enormous difference. It's HUGE. His record is an ENTIRE 0.9 percentage point better!

What you keep failing to ever address is that every single other coach in the entirety of college football is also dealing with NIL, Covid, transfer portal and etc.

If any of those things were only happening to CU, then maybe it would be relevant.
I'm also confused why KD being an equal to MM is a good thing.

He's not equal, he's BETTER!

Also, we need to push the NCAA to change the portal rules because it's hurting CU, but also CU is going to be just fine with all the portal transfers out because we can good replacements for them in the portal.

Logical consistency is hard when you rabidly eat from Plati's trough of spin.

It goes way beyond that. MM took over the program at its absolute worst. It was a complete rebuild job from the ground up. KD took over after MM and MT had built it back up and stocked the talent cupboard a little. MM was starting at nothing. Comparing the two records really shows more poorly on KD than anything else. He managed to take a mediocre team and turn it into dog **** in two years.

It goes way beyond that. MM took over the program at its absolute worst. It was a complete rebuild job from the ground up. KD took over after MM and MT had built it back up and stocked the talent cupboard a little. MM was starting at nothing. Comparing the two records really shows more poorly on KD than anything else. He managed to take a mediocre team and turn it into dog **** in two years.
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I would like to think the dismal 2021 season was due to three specific factors:

1. The hiring of the most incompetent OL coach in the country (KD's fault)
2. Chev being forced as the OC (not KD's fault)
3. JT Shrout getting hurt (not KD's fault)

Of course, KD hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with his recruiting, roster management, retention of talent, gameday coaching, etc. but I would like to think that at the very least, a better OL coach hire from the beginning, along with Shrout starting at QB would have had this program performing better on offense and winning 5-6 games last year and at least keeping the "mediocre" label in tact.

CU has a great opportunity with a new president coming in line this year and then right after a new Chancellor for the CU-Boulder campus. This can turn out positively if a successful athletic department is actually prioritized from those two people.

CU has a great opportunity with a new president coming in line this year and then right after a new Chancellor for the CU-Boulder campus. This can turn out positively if a successful athletic department is actually prioritized from those two people.
I agree. But I’m not optimistic. It really feels as though the priorities of those in charge of the process are not aligned with what most of us here would prefer.

On Phil, I see a guy whose main qualification for becoming Chancellor was "he's been there a long time, filled in a couple times when we needed an interim, will do what he's told, and won't make waves."

Since that's my perception of why he was hired and also retained, I see a major problem at the Regent and President level. Horrible leadership.

Then, he meddles while not holding people like RG accountable for achieving a vision for their department. So I'm not even ready to go off on RG because I have no idea how badly his hands have been tied or how his job priorities have been described to him.

To the earlier ranking conversation, this is why I come in as:

1. Hire a good president.
2. Replace Phil.
3a. Lobby the state to change the BOR so that it's not a political stepping stone position.
3b. Set job performance expectations for RG, give him the resources needed, and replace him if they are not reached.
I think we have a 50/50 shot at #1, and then #2 will likely happen all in its own. Phil needs to retire but he probably isn’t going anywhere until the new President is selected. I mean, I suppose Saliman could hire his replacement, but that’s a tough sell to somebody “yeah, I’ll be gone in a few months and you’ll be reporting to somebody you’ve likely never met, but how would you like to be the new Chancellor at CU-Boulder?”
#3 is a pipe dream that I don’t expect to ever see in my lifetime.
#4 is directly tied to whoever replaces Phil. The President needs to be supportive of every department across all four campuses. So long as he/she isn’t picking favorites, it should work itself out. I will say that I’d prefer it if the new President moved his office back to the Boulder campus, though. That’s the flagship. It needs attention.

Just read the article about CU finances. There is enough funding to add one or two more sports. Maybe Men ice hockey and women gymnastics. Turn Coors event center into a ice rink when basketball is not playing. Can turn that into a major revenue sport.

Back