What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

Yeah, I mean, how difficult could it be? After all, basketball courts are 50’ wide and hockey surfaces are 85’ wide. That’s only 35’ wider. Nothing to it.
Length is even a bigger problem: an NCAA regulation basketball court is 94' x 50'. A hockey rink? 200' x 85'.

I mean they do say "as nearly as possible" in the rulebook for the ice sheet, so there is some room for deviation, but it's a big difference.

There’s already an ice rink on campus with stands. In the bizzaro world where the AD has enough money to start up a D-1 hockey team from scratch, they’d almost certainly start playing on the rec center ice and eventually move to the FirstBank center once support got to be enough. The only way a retro-fit of the CEC makes any sense is if it’s done concurrent with a major renovation and upgrades to allow for increased capacity, luxury boxes, etc. That’s probably a $100MM+ project. So, no. Don’t get me wrong, In a perfect world I’d absolutely LOVE to have D-1 hockey at CU. But that’s just another in a long list of pipe dreams that are seemingly more and more unlikely with each passing year.

There’s already an ice rink on campus with stands. In the bizzaro world where the AD has enough money to start up a D-1 hockey team from scratch, they’d almost certainly start playing on the rec center ice and eventually move to the FirstBank center once support got to be enough. The only way a retro-fit of the CEC makes any sense is if it’s done concurrent with a major renovation and upgrades to allow for increased capacity, luxury boxes, etc. That’s probably a $100MM+ project. So, no. Don’t get me wrong, In a perfect world I’d absolutely LOVE to have D-1 hockey at CU. But that’s just another in a long list of pipe dreams that are seemingly more and more unlikely with each passing year.
I hear the PAC12 has great deals on loans these days. Easy peasy.

The respective schools covered the deficit from other sources. Either from operating revenues elsewhere in the school or from existing liquidity.

There’s enough funding to add two men’s sports but not to cover an $18MM budget shortfall from operating revenues. Seems legit.

A few highlights.

CU budget deficit 17.7 million
Revenue hit of about 26 Million from loss of ticket revenue and concession revenue. CU will want to be Title 9 compliant and have more wiggle room to add more men sports in the future. Womens gymanstics would not cost a lot. Mens hockey will cost about the same as basketball. But can generate revenue for the school.

Does the arena in Broomfield have ice? I would imagine. Why not just make that the “home ice” for CU for awhile?

There’s your suites, concessions, locker rooms etc already done.

My prediction is CU is going to announce the addition of more sports soon once the finances are back to normal.
j-lo-bitch.gif

The ice rink on campus wont work. That will probably be the practice rink for the team. CU may even look at using the Pepsi center for home games if Coors event center can't be modified to meet the requirements.
Yeah, I mean, that’ll be reasonable. Probably very little conflict with the professional sports teams who regularly need use of that arena. They’d probably squeeze the Buffs in if the price was right. I’m sure it’d be reasonable.

BTW it’s Ball Arena now, not the Pepsi Center.

May need to renovate Coors to allow it to do this. Put in some more comfortable seats. That some thing Rick Geroge should explore.

Just to recap, you believe that an AD that required a loan from the conference (the only AD to do so) to cover a budget deficit not only has the money to add sports, but to convert Coors into a hockey arena. Please show you math.

Does the arena in Broomfield have ice? I would imagine. Why not just make that the “home ice” for CU for awhile?

There’s your suites, concessions, locker rooms etc already done.
At the considerable risk of going down a rabbit hole; yes, the FirstBank Center does accommodate an ice sheet. They had a minor league team playing there for a couple years. In an ideal world, I tend to think the school would prefer to own and manage any athletic facilities they use. They don’t want to be a tenant in a building, where their scheduling would be taken out of their hands. Short term, yes, it would conceivably work. Long term, I don’t believe that would be a preferable situation.

The whole loan deal was irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. 7 year loan at 3.5 percent for like 17.7 million. CU would be paying about 3 million a year. And the money is deducted from the PAC 12 distrubition allocated to CU. Taking out a loan on facility renovation that will generate more revenue is a good move. Can also get Alumni donations Might as well also expand the seating capacity and etc.

The whole loan deal was irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. 7 year loan at 3.5 percent for like 17.7 million. CU would be paying about 3 million a year. And the money is deducted from the PAC 12 distrubition allocated to CU. Taking out a loan on facility renovation that will generate more revenue is a good move. Can also get Alumni donations Might as well also expand the seating capacity and etc.
My head hurts.
Morning Show GIF by Apple TV

Here's why it's so hard to add sports, particularly at an institution where the athletics department is expected to run without a budget deficit:

I'd love to see sports added. But they will lose money. As much as it grinds my gears, RG is correct not to even entertain the idea until football is fully funded with all the Folsom improvements complete.

Then, you do the same for basketball.

Then you step back and make sure there's nothing else that can be done for football.

Next you increase investment into band & spirit squads, which further enhances the game experience - with the focus on FB & BB to a lesser extent.

Then you look at projects that could enhance field sports in a way that would improve the football game scene for fans with enhanced parking & tailgating amenities.

And then you consider adding something that could get you into better Title IX territory (Beach VB or Triathlon).

After all that, you can start thinking about other Men's sports that would increase prestige & engagement along with Women's sports that would balance the Title IX scholarship count by adding them together.

At the considerable risk of going down a rabbit hole; yes, the FirstBank Center does accommodate an ice sheet. They had a minor league team playing there for a couple years. In an ideal world, I tend to think the school would prefer to own and manage any athletic facilities they use. They don’t want to be a tenant in a building, where their scheduling would be taken out of their hands. Short term, yes, it would conceivably work. Long term, I don’t believe that would be a preferable situation.
Long live the Rocky Mountain Rage!

Back