What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

my current take is that ADRG is a human being who makes some good decisions and some poor decisions and that the latest hire is potentially a sign of him learning and growing in his role. rather shocking conclusion, I know, but this is where I'm at right now.

Bielema, Mora, Jr., Calhoun were all mentioned. Inretrospect, any of them were preferable to KD. I would even venture to say any reasonable observer could see they were preferable at the time.

Mentioned prior to KD, but none closed, I am willing to bet that they all passed (Fair Criticism to RG to not be able to close on them). With the advantage of hindsight, I think it would have been beneficial to just have a throwaway 2020 year (ironically KD's best year) and just go with a interim

And for those who are saying that RG's job right now is to make sure prime is happy, remember that this is not the first time he has promised the moon to an ambitious coach. It seems like he's learned his lesson about a lot of different things, but there is a history here to be concerned about.
It seems like he did it the correct order this time. It felt like he promised Tucker stuff, then went to his boses to get those promises delivered on. This time it feels like the boses (ok, just the pres) gave the green light on the changes before RG made the hire. At least that is my hope.

Seems obvious to me, so someone correct me if I am off base here.

RG hired KD at the end of February, his pickings were rather slim, went after a few guys he wanted and they all passed (turned them into raises, or wasn't the right time). Even those who he went after had some rather big question marks around them. They were stumped, and as RG and LC talked about, who do we talk to next. KD fell into their laps as someone who was in theory a low risk and high likelihood of landing. KD (more likely his agent) turned that level of desperation into a very lucrative contract since they had all the power.

I was thinking at that time they should have just named a interim coach for the next year, then started the search all over again during the normal cycle. In hindsight that would have likely lead to a Chiv IHC, and would have likely ended up something similar to Embree.

RG didn't work miracles with Mel leaving, but with what he was dealt, I struggle to fault him too much looking back.
It is hard to know how much of KD was RG and how much was PD. I tend to think that PD had much more negative influence over CU athletics than the public sees. He is a parasite bureaucrat who has never seen the big picture and is only concerned with making sure that he and his supporters are taken care of.

The contract though was terrible. As @steviet correctly pointed out KD had no power, no leverage. CU could have given him a 4 year deal at $1.5 with no guarantee after the second year and he would still have been making much more than he would get in 5 years in the NFL. No other colleges were chasing him and with the number of years he had in coaching the fact that he was a WR coach instead of a coordinator shows that he wasn't highly sought in the NFL either.

They should have offered him a contract similar to what I listed above on a take it or leave it basis. If by some miracle he turned out to be the answer they could renegotiate up. Everyone knew he wanted to live in and stay in Colorado.

If he didn't take it then find an interim. There are bunches of coaches out there who are either looking for a way to get back in or looking for a break to move up. Also more than a few retired guys who would welcome a chance to came back for a year and get paid in the process.

My impression is that this time RG told Saliman what PD has done in the past. Saliman then told PD to go sit in a corner and smile while staying out of the way.

Being who he is PD quickly said "yes sir, may I shine your shoes?"

Tucker and Prime were effusive in their praise of RG and how important he was in getting them here (Dorrell is never effusive, unless a camera gets in his way)

By the way, where is/was Lance Carl?!?!

Tucker and Prime were effusive in their praise of RG and how important he was in getting them here (Dorrell is never effusive, unless a camera gets in his way)

By the way, where is/was Lance Carl?!?!
Lance has been sidelined and focused on B4L and player relationships ever since the gross mishandling of the Mel Tucker situation and subsequent coaching search while RG was recovering from back surgery and relying on him too much.

1. Excellent title change from fire to erect a statue (literally made me laugh out loud)
2. Did anyone hear Prime and RG tell each other "I love you"? RG really did work to not only bring him in, but has established a true friendship and alliance.

1. Excellent title change from fire to erect a statue (literally made me laugh out loud)
2. Did anyone hear Prime and RG tell each other "I love you"? RG really did work to not only bring him in, but has established a true friendship and alliance.
Tucker professed the same kind of relationship with RG when hired. A year later, he was stabbing him in the back. Relationships require delivering on promises and honest communication. RG failed in that regard with Tucker. If the same thing happens again, RG needs to be fired into the sun.

And for those who are saying that RG's job right now is to make sure prime is happy, remember that this is not the first time he has promised the moon to an ambitious coach. It seems like he's learned his lesson about a lot of different things, but there is a history here to be concerned about.
I’m the one saying that because I am personally trying to turn the page from those previous debacles.

However, now that we have the most dynamic personality in college football as our HC and a President who “gets it,” the excuses (budget, admissions, fan support) must go. The job of the AD is to now produce results: more money for today, tomorrow, and beyond; getting all offered NCAA eligible players admitted; increasing student and fan engagement; solving NIL.

I keep making the analogy of the schlub landing the hottie. Really desirable people need to be constantly courted. Most folks settle in their relationships because in-demand partners require you to recognize their unique attractiveness all of the time.

RG has made promises his butt couldn’t cash before. Todd Saliman has removed the obstacles. Deliver or die.

I’m the one saying that because I am personally trying to turn the page from those previous debacles.

However, now that we have the most dynamic personality in college football as our HC and a President who “gets it,” the excuses (budget, admissions, fan support) must go. The job of the AD is to now produce results: more money for today, tomorrow, and beyond; getting all offered NCAA eligible players admitted; increasing student and fan engagement; solving NIL.

I keep making the analogy of the schlub landing the hottie. Really desirable people need to be constantly courted. Most folks settle in their relationships because in-demand partners require you to recognize their unique attractiveness all of the time.

RG has made promises his butt couldn’t cash. Todd Saliman has removed the obstacles. Deliver or die.
Sir, we are in complete agreement. Also, elegant way of explaining why my wife settled on me.

Fify. My opinion hasn’t changed despite this hire. The ticket office is still a mess, other sports are ignored, the student engagement is sub par and it seems others were the true catalysts to making this close.
I'm with you in every way but one: RG did land (with unprecedented support due to a new hire above him) Primetime. You don't **** with that relationship. If it sours, RG goes immediately.

With all the great stuff going on with Coach Prime, you guys want to spend pages arguing about RG?

Let that **** go (for now), mother ****ers!

giphy.gif

Tucker professed the same kind of relationship with RG when hired. A year later, he was stabbing him in the back. Relationships require delivering on promises and honest communication. RG failed in that regard with Tucker. If the same thing happens again, RG needs to be fired into the sun.
There’s a chance that RG got screwed in the Mel debacle. Did PD change his mind? Did our new Prez do a deep dive and uncover the problems? My buddy hints and says PD will gracefully exit stage right very soon. His job is done.

Howell with quite the story. @Goose is gonna love this. @manhattanbuff too. And can’t forget that sexy mf’er @Bread

Quote 1 (about transfer issue):
It wasn’t until October, however, that CU administration realized the significance of finding a solution.

“I didn’t know the magnitude of the issue (before October),” athletic director Rick George said.
Quote 2:
In July, now former CU head football coach Karl Dorrell told BuffZone, “We usually are so unsuccessful getting those guys that have transferable units to be eligible to play, so I don’t even mess with it. I know our portal formula is either you’re after your first-year (transfers) or a grad transfer, and I don’t fight about it. I just go for those two types, knowing that in the middle ground, I’m not going to be able to be successful to get them. So, I don’t want to waste my time trying to convince our school (to change the policy).”

Asked if that limits CU’s ability to succeed, Dorrell said, “Sure it does.”

Howell did his best to not actually point anything out, but that is damning as hell. Someone is lying and someone (maybe both someones) deserve a firing or, if they are unfireable at the moment, to give their salary back for 2021-October 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howell with quite the story. @Goose is gonna love this. @manhattanbuff too.

Quote 2:

Howell did his best to not actually point anything out, but that is damning as hell. Someone is lying and someone (maybe both someones) deserve a firing or, if they are unfireable at the moment, to give their salary back for 2021-October 22.
If they fix the problem now and recognize where they ****ed up I say let sleeping dogs lie. But RG now has two priorities:

1.) Keep Coach Prime happy
2.) Hire an amazing deputy to handle all the **** he is going to have to ignore because he’s spending 24/7 on #1.

Do that, and I can forgive a LOT.

If they fix the problem now and recognize where they ****ed up I say let sleeping dogs lie. But RG now has two priorities:

2.) Hire an amazing deputy to handle all the **** he is going to have to ignore because he’s spending 24/7 on #1.

That's very mature of you. How disappointing.

This is where I am too. Rich Eisen already astutely pointed out the risk with Prime: that he’s wildly successful and that he gets hired someplace else 2-3 years from now. The work to keep Prime will be a substantial undertaking.

Howell with quite the story. @Goose is gonna love this. @manhattanbuff too.

Quote 2:

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

I’m always a part of this anti Rick George trio, don’t leave me out.

Back