What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Burrow or Lawrence?

Burrow or Lawrence?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
burrow showed he's ready for the NFL. Lawrence will get better than he played last night.

I do wonder how much of Burrow's success is Joe Brady. I have a strong suspicion that Joe Brady just delivered a massive change of thinking to college football offense. Burrow just went from very ordinary last year to off-the-charts good this year. Could be that the QB situation at LSU was just so bad last year (and several years) but I think it's more than that. Will have to see in a few years how much of LSU's success is Joe Brady fueled.
System does matter and Brady is really good.

That said Burrow has been playing on another level this season and last night was an example.

Good QBs hit open receivers, Burrow needs his receivers to be less open, he not only gets the ball there but hits smaller windows. When a receiver has more space Burrow hits them in the spot that sets them up for more yards after the catch. This is something that some starting NFL QBs don't do.

It also looks like he processes and reads faster than most QBs. It looked like he was going to a lot of secondary receivers last night. Burrow looks to be very pro ready.

Lawrence is very talented as well but wasn't as sharp. He missed some passes that he normally hits but he isn't as precise as Burrow is.

Can't see many NFL teams turning down the opportunity to have either one of them though. With guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers getting near the end of their careers last night may have been a demonstration of the next generation of elite QBs

I’m not taking anything away from LSU. But there were a couple times Lawrence flat out missed open receivers. I didn’t expect that.

It's also the first time Lawrence has lost a game in like forever, Clemson normally isn't 2 scores down.

Burrow processes the field so well and makes damn good decisions. Plus his arm is damn accurate. Can't lose with either is what I think but I think Burrow's ability to process information and decision making is on a different level.
Best qb prospect in the last 20 years...

Burrow processes the field so well and makes damn good decisions. Plus his arm is damn accurate. Can't lose with either is what I think but I think Burrow's ability to process information and decision making is on a different level.
Good evaluation.

Also is a guy who is mobile enough to protect himself, mobile enough to be a threat and demand some attention, but not a guy who relies on running the ball to set up his passing game.

The game is changing and the age of having a statue in the pocket is gone. With the spreads in college linemen don't learn how to pass block for 5 seconds at a time and with the athletes now rushing the passer that wouldn't be practical.

One response to this is the current crop of running QBs like Jackson and Watson who are counted on to gain yardage passing and running but I don't know how long they will last.

Burrow can evade the rush, he can run the QB draw in red zone, he can even take a wide run to the sidelines if needed. He isn't going to be a guy who has to have 5+ carries a game to be effective so he isn't going to take those hits. It is reasonable to expect him to be effective for many years in the future.

I’d say Andrew Luck was the best QB prospect in the last 20 years, but both of these guys should project pretty well at the next level.

Back