What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFB Playoff.

Where do you think they should be ranked currently?

I say 2, but would see 3 or 4 just as easily.
I think they are the 2nd best team in the country, but I'm not necessarily about the "best" 4 teams because that puts less emphasis on individual games, winning your conference, etc. My point in the back and forth with you is that whether or not Alabama loses to Georgia in the SECCG, they will still be double digit favorites over every other program outside of UGA, and will still clearly be the second "best" team. So, might as well just cement their spot at #2.

Using this idiotic "best 4 teams" criteria is how CFB postseason has become the worst in sports. There has to be an element of "deserving" when selecting teams, otherwise there's no reason for non-traditional powerhouses to play at this level

i don't know, I have barely followed this season due to time constraints and because CU's incompetence affects my general enjoyment of the sport.

It's a general observation based on the last few years. To a degree the same applies (although it remains to be seen how that turns out over the coming years) to Clemson
Gotcha.

I’d argue Top 4 has been chosen correctly in all years except one, maybe 2.

All opinions count. It will shake out.

Where would you have them ranked?

Which year in CFP did they get the BOTD to materially affect their Top 4 rating? Not flaming. Just wondering.

in general I think CFP has basically got it right every year.
I guess my thing with Bama's rank is that it has to be based on actual performance. So I look at it in terms of if Auburn had that resume where would I rank them? My answer this week would be Top 10 but not Top 5.

What we need to root for is for Ohio State, Oregon, Alabama, Wake, OU, and Cincinnati to all win out, and for Georgia to win out up until the SEC CG.

Then you'll have 3 one loss P5 champs, 2 undefeated P5 champs, and the most highly touted G5 team in at least a decade, all having not lost a game since the first rankings came out, and the team that was #1 the whole time who just lost to #2. IOW, chaos.

The pressure to expand will be immense. At that point, the Big Ten, Pac-12, and ACC need to stand firm and demand an assload of concessions from everyone else.

What we need to root for is for Ohio State, Oregon, Alabama, Wake, OU, and Cincinnati to all win out, and for Georgia to win out up until the SEC CG.

Then you'll have 3 one loss P5 champs, 2 undefeated P5 champs, and the most highly touted G5 team in at least a decade, all having not lost a game since the first rankings came out, and the team that was #1 the whole time who just lost to #2. IOW, chaos.

The pressure to expand will be immense. At that point, the Big Ten, Pac-12, and ACC need to stand firm and demand an assload of concessions from everyone else.
SEC and G5 are ready to seal the deal on 12 including a bidding process with split rights if necessary. What say you, Agreement?

I can understand the committee having a hard on for Bama because of historical finishes. However, that should have no bearing on this year, so this ranking makes no sense to me (I could maybe understand the #3 or #4 slot though). Their wins aren't impressive and their one loss is bad. If they get in with two loses and you have a handful of one loss teams, with an undefeated Cincinnati, then the playoff is a complete sham

The CFP has ruined most of what was great about college football.

I was totally for it when it was created, and I don't think that it could go back to how it used to be, but I wish it had never happened.
Same. The concept of a playoff/multi round tournament is very appealing and obviously the best way to run a postseason in any sport, but college football is trying to go full NFL without doing anything to enact parity, which is the reason the NFL works

I was totally for it when it was created, and I don't think that it could go back to how it used to be, but I wish it had never happened.
You like the two-team computer/polls process better? Personally, I think this is better.

CFP is not perfect. It’s an easy target for shade in early weeks. But in the end, they have nailed it on best four teams virtually every year in my opinion.

i’m open to 12. Although some of those early games are gonna be rough (as bad or worse than semis have been)

I can understand the committee having a hard on for Bama because of historical finishes. However, that should have no bearing on this year, so this ranking makes no sense to me (I could maybe understand the #3 or #4 slot though). Their wins aren't impressive and their one loss is bad. If they get in with two loses and you have a handful of one loss teams, with an undefeated Cincinnati, then the playoff is a complete sham
They only do it because there is a legit argument for them being considered #2, and they know everyone will be debating and arguing over it. Knowing full well that it will resolve itself come the SEC CCG.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN and the committee handle it if/when Bama loses again, and then beats UGA in the CCG

You like the two-team computer/polls process better? Personally, I think this is better.

CFP is not perfect. It’s an easy target for shade in early weeks. But in the end, they have nailed it on best four teams virtually every year in my opinion.

i’m open to 12. Although some of those early games are gonna be rough (as bad or worse than semis have been)
Good question. I actually prefer the way it was before the BCS NC game existed at all. Meaningful New Year's Day bowls with conference ties.

After seeing what the main criteria is for the committee (which I agree with) I can see why they are number 2.

It’s true. It’s essentially Pandora’s box that’s been opened and it has supercharged the balance problems and helped the creation of super schools and it’s only gonna get worse when they expand it.

See the cycle I laid out above. Getting into the playoff gives you exposure and money which improves your recruiting which improves your chance of winning games which improves your chance of getting into the playoff. Rinse and repeat. Do that 3 times or so and you end up where we are now.

They only do it because there is a legit argument for them being considered #2, and they know everyone will be debating and arguing over it. Knowing full well that it will resolve itself come the SEC CCG.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN and the committee handle it if/when Bama loses again, and then beats UGA in the CCG
ESPN RATINGS FOR CCG! 1 v 2

If Alabama loses to Georgia, they're going to the Sugar Bowl. Period.

I agree with this.

There would have to be a lot of carnage before a 2-loss non-conference champion got in, even if it was Alabama.

If there are 4 undefeated or 1 loss P5 champions, Bama would be out. The committee doesn't want to deal with that kind of outrage.

I agree with this.

There would have to be a lot of carnage before a 2-loss non-conference champion got in, even if it was Alabama.

If there are 4 undefeated or 1 loss P5 champions, Bama would be out. The committee doesn't want to deal with that kind of outrage.
Yes. I think even one loss Wake or undefeated Cincy goes ahead of 2 loss Alabama.

As much as it fun to think about Alabama not being in the playoff, this is what I bet will happen.

OU will win out.
OSU will out.
UO will lose at least more game, because Pac-12.
Alabama will beat Georgia in the SEC CG, because Georgia.

#1 Alabama
#2 Georgia
#3 OSU
#4 OU

Bama will destroy OU, because OU in the playoffs.
Georgia will beat OSU in a close one.

Who the **** cares who wins the title (Bama, see above), because all we're going to hear is S-E-C!

As much as it fun to think about Alabama not being in the playoff, this is what I bet will happen.

OU will win out.
OSU will out.
UO will lose at least more game, because Pac-12.
Alabama will beat Georgia in the SEC CG, because Georgia.

#1 Alabama
#2 Georgia
#3 OSU
#4 OU

Bama will destroy OU, because OU in the playoffs.
Georgia will beat OSU in a close one.

Who the **** cares who wins the title (Bama, see above), because all we're going to hear is S-E-C!
Sankey has reached agreement with Kirby to let Nick win SECCG, then they can play for it all in Natty.

Back