What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFB Playoff.

Plus you only have five guys on the court at a time. One really good guy can carry your team.

This will end like it has in Europe.
The argument is that, at current, the top 4-6 programs in the country are getting most of the top recruits because the top recruits want to play in the CFP. If it’s expanded and other teams are competing in the playoff, there will be a dispersion of talent, in theory

The argument is that, at current, the top 4-6 programs in the country are getting most of the top recruits because the top recruits want to play in the CFP. If it’s expanded and other teams are competing in the playoff, there will be a dispersion of talent, in theory

Yes, and I think that group of 4-6 will increase to say 8 or so. Those teams will all be at pretty much the same level, give or take, and be even further detached from the other teams.

It’s the multiplication effect at work. Success increases your budget and exposure which increases your chances of pulling in the top players which increases your chance of success. Rinse and repeat. Let that play out three our four times and you end up with the status quo when you look at the top teams.

It will increase the competitiveness at the very, very top of the game but vastly decrease overall competitiveness across CFB. It will benefit a handful of teams at the very top and ultimately render conferences largely unimportant as nobody will be able to compete with the one or two top teams in the conference unless the stars align just right every few years.

Yes, and I think that group of 4-6 will increase to say 8 or so. Those teams will all be at pretty much the same level, give or take, and be even further detached from the other teams.

It’s the multiplication effect at work. Success increases your budget and exposure which increases your chances of pulling in the top players which increases your chance of success. Rinse and repeat. Let that play out three our four times and you end up with the status quo when you look at the top teams.

It will increase the competitiveness at the very, very top of the game but vastly decrease overall competitiveness across CFB. It will benefit a handful of teams at the very top and ultimately render conferences largely unimportant as nobody will be able to compete with the one or two top teams in the conference unless the stars align just right every few years.
CFB is already vastly non competitive for 95% of programs if you’re talking about winning championships. I’d rather watch a sport that has 8-12 highly competitive programs than 3-4, even if CU isn’t part of that group

CFB is already vastly non competitive for 95% of programs if you’re talking about winning championships. I’d rather watch a sport that has 8-12 highly competitive programs than 3-4, even if CU isn’t part of that group

So you have no misconceptions, which I think many do.

I think it is inevitable this will ultimately end with one super conference.

So you have no misconceptions, which I think many do.

I think it is inevitable this will ultimately end with one super conference.
The faster it gets there - with one constitution - the better. Meaningful reform possible.

What elite team in CFB doesn’t have a realistic shot at a championship?

Also, the NFL has the right amount of parity where we’ve seen some upsets, but mostly, mediocre teams don’t, in fact, have a realistic shot at a Super Bowl.
Oregon is there. USC is perhaps already there, too. I’d say ND is getting dangerously close. Maybe Michigan, too. Geographically less ideal from a recruiting standpoint compared to the Deep South.

I’m probably wrong.

USC is perhaps already there. I’d say ND is getting dangerously close. Maybe Michigan, too. Geographically less ideal from a recruiting standpoint compared to the Deep South.

I’m probably wrong.
I guess I read that tweet to mean an elite team in a given year, not elite program, historically.

Also, Notre Dame has every chance to compete for a NC, they just can’t lose to Cincinnati at home. Michigan has to figure out a way to beat Ohio State. USC has to find a coach who can recruit.

The elite programs, historically, have all the resources necessary to compete with Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State.

I guess I read that tweet to mean an elite team in a given year, not elite program, historically.

Also, Notre Dame has every chance to compete for a NC, they just can’t lose to Cincinnati at home. Michigan has to figure out a way to beat Ohio State. USC has to find a coach who can recruit.

The elite programs, historically, have all the resources necessary to compete with Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State.
Maybe. I’ve lost faith that any school east-ish of the Mississippi can win a championship. Oregon was loaded when they last played in the CFP and got beat pretty soundly by Auburn. The Deep South is just too bought in to the game and it’s created such a fertile base of talent. Elsewhere in the country, demographics and other (safer?) options for kids are funneling away what were once fertile talent grounds. It’s changed, man, and I don’t see it ever coming back.

Edit: aTm and UT are the West of Mississippi that could win a championship given their recruiting bases...

Maybe. I’ve lost faith that any school east-ish of the Mississippi can win a championship. Oregon was loaded when they last played in the CFP and got beat pretty soundly by Auburn. The Deep South is just too bought in to the game and it’s created such a fertile base of talent. Elsewhere in the country, demographics and other (safer?) options for kids are funneling away what were once fertile talent grounds. It’s changed, man, and I don’t see it ever coming back.

Edit: aTm and UT are the West of Mississippi that could win a championship given their recruiting bases...

Oklahoma. If UT can so can OU.

A great recruiter at USC can definitely get that program the type of talent necessary and keep programs like Bama, Clemson and Georgia from raiding California

The unequal scheduling (8 v 9 conference games and the fact you’re free with your OOC scheduling) coupled with the fact that the playoff teams get chosen on a purely subjective basis can see an “elite” team shut out, I think. Although that might also depend on how you define elite.

The unequal scheduling (8 v 9 conference games and the fact you’re free with your OOC scheduling) coupled with the fact that the playoff teams get chosen on a purely subjective basis can see an “elite” team shut out, I think. Although that might also depend on how you define elite.

1. Nine game conference scheduling
2. Two P5 opponents in your OOC games
3. Matchup OOC scheduling with inter P5 agreements (P12 and B1G, SEC and ACC), where Pac 12 #1 plays B1G #1, 2v2, etc)

If the P5 conferences would all agree to these rules, I think it would would bring a more competitive, compelling product for the sport. It would create harder schedules for the better teams, with more premier TV time and ratings, and easier schedules for the bad teams, to give them a chance at a few more wins.

Or course there are other things, but I think that kind of basic equality in scheduling would be really good for college football.

1. Nine game conference scheduling
2. Two P5 opponents in your OOC games
3. Matchup OOC scheduling with inter P5 agreements (P12 and B1G, SEC and ACC), where Pac 12 #1 plays B1G #1, 2v2, etc)

If the P5 conferences would all agree to these rules, I think it would would bring a more competitive, compelling product for the sport. It would create harder schedules for the better teams, with more premier TV time and ratings, and easier schedules for the bad teams, to give them a chance at a few more wins.

Or course there are other things, but I think that kind of basic equality in scheduling would be really good for college football.

Something along those lines would definitely be a step in the right direction. Maybe rotate the conference pairs every few years.

And it could actually be implemented, too. Just have the CFP draw up some guidelines with criteria you need to fit if you want to be considered for the playoff.

Anything that helps us compare teams more objectively helps. You need to get away from the purely subjective nature of the selection process.

Something along those lines would definitely be a step in the right direction. Maybe rotate the conference pairs every few years.

And it could actually be implemented, too. Just have the CFP draw up some guidelines with criteria you need to fit if you want to be considered for the playoff.

Anything that helps us compare teams more objectively helps. You need to get away from the purely subjective nature of the selection process.
It’s not subjective. They use data. You don’t like their data.

How much would Oregon have liked to have played the citadel this past weekend.

This talk late in the Ole Miss-MSU game is interesting regarding Notre Dame. One huge thing working against them is the lack of a conference championship game which could cost them a CFP spot this year. Yet the impression is that Notre Dame is ok with that. Fine, if they're ok with that them make them pay and keep them out of the playoff unless they clearly deserve to be in like 2018 and 2020, and even 2020 was very subjective.

Bottom line, join a conference you ****ing pussies

I’ll be interested in seeing how Bennett reacts if he has to be the man against a competent defense.

I don't think Smart will hesitate to swtich to JT in the 2nd half of a game if Bennett and the offense is struggling. But they have 3 very good RB's assuming Milton will be back for the CFP

I don't think Smart will hesitate to swtich to JT in the 2nd half of a game if Bennett and the offense is struggling. But they have 3 very good RB's assuming Milton will be back for the CFP
This is Bennett’s team now. I’m skeptical of the short leash theory. Georgia hasn’t had to face much adversity this season. I’ll be interested in seeing how they react in case they find some with Alabama.

This is Bennett’s team now. I’m skeptical of the short leash theory. Georgia hasn’t had to face much adversity this season. I’ll be interested in seeing how they react in case they find some with Alabama.

I thought the team that could give them the most trouble would be tOSU with those WR's but that's out the the window now. Alabama could give them some trouble if their offense is on but the Bama OL and running game have both been wildly inconsistent this year. For the most part the offense hasn't been Alabama's problem this season but in the LSU and Auburn games their defense ended up carrying the day.

The playoff ststem is terrible. They should just go back to the old bowl system and then have the winners of the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange play in the semis.

Back