What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFB Playoff.

The playoff system would be ok....if they removed the human element. Too many biases on the committee. Would much rather just use the BCS system to rank the top 4.

The playoff system would be ok....if they removed the human element. Too many biases on the committee. Would much rather just use the BCS system to rank the top 4.
No matter what system you use there is going to be a human element as long as the top teams aren't playing each other and you are using some kind of polls or other opinion based rating system.

Use the conference winners you have an odd number meaning that you either give byes or you add wild cards again involving a value judgement. Then you get into the issue of G5 schools.

Any playoff system is also always going to have the element of the last team left out justifying the idea that they should be in by comparison to the lowest team in.

No matter what system you use there is going to be a human element as long as the top teams aren't playing each other and you are using some kind of polls or other opinion based rating system.

Use the conference winners you have an odd number meaning that you either give byes or you add wild cards again involving a value judgement. Then you get into the issue of G5 schools.

Any playoff system is also always going to have the element of the last team left out justifying the idea that they should be in by comparison to the lowest team in.
Then get a system that doesn't use polls. Does the NET use ranking at time of game? I don't think it does. System should be 100% analytics.

Then get a system that doesn't use polls. Does the NET use ranking at time of game? I don't think it does. System should be 100% analytics.

The BCS used polls then got away from using any polls in later years. But there was still subjectivity in the computer polls. Then they inexplicably decided to go away from margin of victory. The subjectivity is great though, that's what makes this sport what it is. If you want a cookie-cutter, generic, bland, sterile, win a terrible division at .500 and make the playoffs formula then you always have the NFL.

The BCS used polls then got away from using any polls in later years. But there was still subjectivity in the computer polls. Then they inexplicably decided to go away from margin of victory. The subjectivity is great though, that's what makes this sport what it is. If you want a cookie-cutter, generic, bland, sterile, win a terrible division at .500 and make the playoffs formula then you always have the NFL.
I'm not advocating for conference winners to get in. I think you have to be dumber than some kind of asshole to think that's a good system.

I'd prefer to go back to 2 teams get a shot, and that's it.

Then your analytics express the bias of whoever programs your formulas and relative weighted values of factors such as conferences, schedules, home/away, margin of victory, etc.

This is not like track and field or swimming where you put athletes in a standardized venue and put them against the clock. And you still end up with subjective inputs.

If we had a 12 team playoff, tOSU, OU and Wiscy could still be in playoff pic. Even Bama had they lost.

That’s gonna be fun. /s

If we had a 12 team playoff, tOSU, OU and Wiscy could still be in playoff pic. Even Bama had they lost.

That’s gonna be fun. /s

That's the one aspect of playoff expansion that I like the least because these big games like we saw yesterday won't carry as much meaning as far as making the playoff. Sure they will still have playoff implications since they could be playing for a bye and seeding, but that's a huge difference between playing for a bye compared to your national title hopes being on the line.

That's the one aspect of playoff expansion that I like the least because these big games like we saw yesterday won't carry as much meaning as far as making the playoff. Sure they will still have playoff implications since they could be playing for a bye and seeding, but that's a huge difference between playing for a bye compared to your national title hopes being on the line.
Some advocate for ditching CCGs with expansion. I can’t see SEC doing that.

Does Okie State jump Cincy if they win handily and Cincy struggles against Houston?

I think it could happen. SIAP.

If Michigan, Okie Lite and Bama all win, how do you put Cincy in the playoff?
Because they are 13-0, will have just beaten a ranked and 11-1 Houston team and are currently ranked #4. If OSU isn’t currently ranked ahead of them, why would they deserve to jump them?

Because they are 13-0, will have just beaten a ranked and 11-1 Houston team and are currently ranked #4. If OSU isn’t currently ranked ahead of them, why would they deserve to jump them?

I don't know, with the scenario of Bama and Michigan winning and then if OSU beats Baylor soundly and Cincy wins a very close game I can definitely see OSU getting the 4-spot over Cincy. One thing we don't know is how close Cincy and OSU are now. Barta was asked that direct question but he danced around the question and of course never came close to answering it.

As for precedent, TCU was the only team to be in the top 4 heading into the final weekend and win and not make the playoff, in 2014.

The ND angle aside this is an interesting graph of the CFP-relevant conference title game outcomes. 2 upsets aside from UGA-Bama makes things very interesting

I don't know, with the scenario of Bama and Michigan winning and then if OSU beats Baylor soundly and Cincy wins a very close game I can definitely see OSU getting the 4-spot over Cincy. One thing we don't know is how close Cincy and OSU are now. Barta was asked that direct question but he danced around the question and of course never came close to answering it.

As for precedent, TCU was the only team to be in the top 4 heading into the final weekend and win and not make the playoff, in 2014.
I guess if all that happens then yes I could see it. I just think that, given all the information we have, if OSU isn’t considered better than Cincinnati right now, why would a win over Baylor all of the sudden make that the case? End of the day OSU still has a loss and Cincy doesn’t.

If this happens, a 4 team playoff will never include a G5 program

It's not a lot of people don't already believe this.
I don’t think the committee wants to put them in, but Cincinnati has been impressive this year, they have one of the hottest coaching candidates in the country, have arguably the best win of the season right now on their resume and are one of two undefeateds.

I don’t think the committee wants to put them in, but Cincinnati has been impressive this year, they have one of the hottest coaching candidates in the country, have arguably the best win of the season right now on their resume and are one of two undefeateds.
I don't disagree at all.

I'm just saying that *a lot* of people firmly believe that a G5 is never going to make it into a 4 team playoff, so them being excluded this year, regardless of how it happens, is actually an expected outcome for a lot of folks.

Back