What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFB Playoff.

I found the game boring and turned it off. Looks like I missed the Georgia offensive explosion. I am tired of watching Saban and Alabama dominance.

So many empty seats.

They'll never report the number of no-shows, but I'm intensely curious how many people ate the cost of their $450+ tickets.

First half was dull so I turned it off. Definitely regret it, especially because it's sure to be all anyone around here is going to talk about for the next week or so.

So many empty seats.

They'll never report the number of no-shows, but I'm intensely curious how many people ate the cost of their $450+ tickets.
A huge number of those tickets went to various corporate sponsors and partners.

I can see how these tickets would be allowed to go unused with Covid exploding.

A huge number of those tickets went to various corporate sponsors and partners.

I can see how these tickets would be allowed to go unused with Covid exploding.
no doubt, I'm sure the Omnicron wave was part of it. But, those tickets were purchased (or negotiated as part of a sponsorship deal) during Covid -- the people who bought them knew there was a pandemic going on at time of purchase, knew there would likely still be a pandemic going on come 1/10, and still shelled out the $$$$$. i.e. I think Omnicron explains some of the no-shows, but doesn't seem to explain most of the no-shows.

it could be I'm just too low class to throw away a $500 ticket but that kind of chump-change is NBD for a middle class dude.

Georgia DL controlled the game. That's the huge difference from the first game

That was my biggest takeaway from last night, how dialed in and relentless the Georgia front was. Bryce was getting pressure ALL night long and was never able to get comfortable. And they especially did a great job when Bama got inside the 10, Bama had to settle for FG's 2 or 3 times when they had a first and goal.

Bennett getting emotional after the pick-6, what a great scene

You know they'll be lighting up message boards, Twitter & sports talk radio with concern that Saban has lost it. 😆

Thing is, this season was arguably one of Saban's better coaching job after all they lost from last year's team. Shaky wins against Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, and even Tennessee took them into the 4th quarter but they still rallied to win the SEC. And with by far their 2 most productive receivers out for most of the title game they still came within 10 minutes of winning a natty against one of the great all-time defenses.

Key has been not really bashing I guess, but didn't want to give Stetson Bennett any credit at all. Is he the main reason they won, no, but don't say he wasn't a factor though.

So many empty seats.

I was there and it was packed wherever I went, but the announced crowd was 1-2k short of capacity I believe. Got a free ticket last week through a buddy’s work connection. I’m sure a lot of tickets changed hands after Michigan lost.

It was also insanely cold.

no doubt, I'm sure the Omnicron wave was part of it. But, those tickets were purchased (or negotiated as part of a sponsorship deal) during Covid -- the people who bought them knew there was a pandemic going on at time of purchase, knew there would likely still be a pandemic going on come 1/10, and still shelled out the $$$$$. i.e. I think Omnicron explains some of the no-shows, but doesn't seem to explain most of the no-shows.

it could be I'm just too low class to throw away a $500 ticket but that kind of chump-change is NBD for a middle class dude.
A lot of those corporate tickets come as part of deals with the NCAA, the conferences or schools, the stadium management, etc. The one that are paid for come out of sales or promotions budget. Nobody as individuals is connecting to the cost. They are also something that those companies are often getting every year.

To the executives who control them balancing going to the event (in a place that is less than an exciting destination) in the middle of Covid or staying home the cost of the tickets isn't much of a consideration. But these people for the most part aren't middle class dudes.

How much of the lower rating is due to burnout over seeing Bama in there year after year and two SEC schools that had just played each other a few weeks ago?

I'd bet the rating were huge in SEC country but I would like to see how they did in major markets like Southern California and the big cities on the Atlantic coast from Baltimore north as well as the Midwest.

Is the majority of the country losing interest in a game dominated by schools in a limited region (the Southeast?)

If this happens then the value of those national media rights starts to go down again.

Last edited:
How much of the lower rating is due to burnout over seeing Bama in there year after year and two SEC schools that had just played each other a few weeks ago?

I'd bet the rating were huge in SEC country but I would like to see how they did in major markets like Southern California and the big cities on the Atlantic coast from Baltimore north as well as the Midwest.

Is the majority of the country losing interest in a game dominated by schools in a limited region (the Southeast?)

If this happens then the value of those national media rights starts to go down again.
UBL

I was there and it was packed wherever I went, but the announced crowd was 1-2k short of capacity I believe. Got a free ticket last week through a buddy’s work connection. I’m sure a lot of tickets changed hands after Michigan lost.

It was also insanely cold.
thanks for posting that you were there. scoring a free ticket to an event like that is amazing!

"insanely cold" by indoor venue standards? or did they have the roof open and it was legit cold?

also, as an Allbuffs member who loves attending sporting events, I wish more people would post comments and pictures of games, matches and tournaments they make it to. I know a lot of our posters here go to big games (CU and otherwise) and I'm happy to live vicariously through others.

No surprise, Jameson Williams tore his ACL. The way his knee buckled like that, color me not shocked. He'll be fine though, hell of a player.

thanks for posting that you were there. scoring a free ticket to an event like that is amazing!

"insanely cold" by indoor venue standards? or did they have the roof open and it was legit cold?

also, as an Allbuffs member who loves attending sporting events, I wish more people would post comments and pictures of games, matches and tournaments they make it to. I know a lot of our posters here go to big games (CU and otherwise) and I'm happy to live vicariously through others.
For sure, fortunate to get a good game out of it, too.

I meant insanely cold outside the stadium. Definitely put a damper on the pre-game/post-game festivities and probably impacted attendance (at least Alabama's). Georgia fans were there in force and the stadium was absolutely rocking on that pick six at the end.

Mandel pod and other pieces from elsewhere on playoff impasse:

1) ACC wants 8. Only one in favor of this. Adamant. Think it’s a way to force ND into conference, especially if conf champs AQ. Folks are pissed at Phillips. Doesn’t have any friends in room.

2) B1G generally wants 12. AQ for conference champs. Public stance. Not giving in.

3) P12 - Wants anything that gives more shots on goal. Concerned about Rose Bowl.

4) SEC - OK with 4. OK with 12. OK with 8, as long as top 8, otherwise top ranked champs. Likes last proposal.

5). Big XII - Just pissed at everybody, especially new Commissioners in Alliance (who are not aligned and) who won’t compromise like Slive and Delaney. Feels like they had a deal last time.

6) G5 - Wants 12. Highest ranked. Can’t understand why last proposal can’t be accepted.

7) ND - Pissed at ACC for actions. Likes last proposal.

They presented non-aligned plan for 12 to Presidents like last time. Prez told them to go back and talk more.

Looks like 4 until 2026. Some understand game may be damaged since expansion is good for all. Everybody pissed.

Last edited:
posted this last week in another thread, but especially given the current impasse to expand the playoffs, I believe strongly this is the NCAA's golden opportunity to stay relevant.

before the CFP, LLC gets their act together, the NCAA should announce NOW that they are rolling out a playoff format for FBS that will actually be recognized by the sport's governing body. They should be able to get buy-in all the conferences except the SEC (and maybe the B1G) on board immediately, and I believe that the SEC would have to give in and go along at that point.

Husband just sent this to me from his at-home office with a message "Don't come up here because I'm crying for a bit". I only got a few minutes in but it made me tear up a bit too - I remember when I got this excited over a Buffs game.

Then I realized in my drunken stooper, I may have been this excited and cried a bit when we beat Oregon State this year. :(

Mandel pod and other pieces from elsewhere on playoff impasse:

1) ACC wants 8. Only one in favor of this. Adamant. Think it’s a way to force ND into conference, especially if conf champs AQ. Folks are pissed at Phillips. Doesn’t have any friends in room.

2) B1G generally wants 12. AQ for conference champs. Public stance. Not giving in.

3) P12 - Wants anything that gives more shots on goal. Concerned about Rose Bowl.

4) SEC - OK with 4. OK with 12. OK with 8, as long as top 8, otherwise top ranked champs. Likes last proposal.

5). Big XII - Just pissed at everybody, especially new Commissioners in Alliance (who are not aligned and) who won’t compromise like Slive and Delaney. Feels like they had a deal last time.

6) G5 - Wants 12. Highest ranked. Can’t understand why last proposal can’t be accepted.

7) ND - Pissed at ACC for actions. Likes last proposal.

They presented non-aligned plan for 12 to Presidents like last time. Prez told them to go back and talk more.

Looks like 4 until 2026. Some understand game may be damaged since expansion is good for all. Everybody pissed.

Interesting about the ACC, I hadn't heard that but good for them. ND can go **** themselves. Even though an 8-team format with 5 or 6 auto bids is not happening.

Back