What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP recommended to expand to 12-team model

You want to be #4 and get a bye into the Quarterfinals, of course. Being the 5 seed still means you have to play the 12th ranked team in the country. It's far from a gimme.
Not hosting a playoff game is a lot of money to leave on the table.

Not hosting a playoff game is a lot of money to leave on the table.
I mean, home teams don't get more TV money for hosting, so it's just one more sellout games worth of revenue. The benefit of being guaranteed to play in the quarterfinals is far more attractive, IMO.

As to your previous post, why can't the games be played on campuses for the first and second rounds and the 4 quarterfinals and 2 semifinal games still be called "Rose/Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Cotton/Peach Bowl" on a rotating basis?

I mean, home teams don't get more TV money for hosting, so it's just one more sellout games worth of revenue. The benefit of being guaranteed to play in the quarterfinals is far more attractive, IMO.

As to your previous post, why can't the games be played on campuses for the first and second rounds and the 4 quarterfinals and 2 semifinal games still be called "Rose/Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Cotton/Peach Bowl" on a rotating basis?
This is how it should be at a minimum. There’s no reason for quarterfinal games to be at bowl sites other than to make bowl partners happy. It’s ludicrous.

Guys, if you think the communities, committees and organizations that run the Orange, Sugar, Rose, etc bowls are just going to quietly say "sure, we'll give up hosting this economically important event because you all want to change things," I'm not sure how you think the world actually works.

These bowl games command a lot more power (and money, which isn't necessarily the same thing) in college football then I think you realize.

Last edited:
Just to clarify. You don’t think there should be any OOC games played ever?
I think if the seasons cut to 11 games like they are discussing and potentially no championship game the only fair way to do it is have everyone play every team in the conference. Favorable scheduling by not playing a couple of the top teams in conference could really swing things. Just my opinion.

I think if the seasons cut to 11 games like they are discussing and potentially no championship game the only fair way to do it is have everyone play every team in the conference. Favorable scheduling by not playing a couple of the top teams in conference could really swing things. Just my opinion.
Nobody is seriously talking about cutting the season to 11 games and/or getting rid of conference championship games

Should be on campus until the championship. Screw the bowls.

It's not what "makes sense" from a competitive standpoint. It's what generates the most money overall, and there are too many "upper tier" bowl games with a lot of money tied to them to just cut them out.

The Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Cotton Bowls are all in the current "playoff" system now, with 3 of them hosting their traditional conference representatives when they're not part of the playoff mix. The revenue from those bowl games is meaningful, and would become much less so if they're hosting #14 vs #24 in a TV weekend that's competing with playoff games.

And, those bowls wield a surprising bit of power in college football as well; they will use that power to stay in the picture.

So...

Do you want to be #4 with a bye heading to a neutral site or #5 with a home game?

I predict weak attendance and empty stands for the “middle” games that are not held on campus. Especially during the holidays.

So... I'm hearing/seeing that once they get to 8 teams, the idea is to move to neutral sites/bowl games.

Which makes an interesting point:

Would you rather:
be #4, and get a bye into the second round where you face the winner of the #5/#12 game on a neutral site
or
be #5, and get to play the #12 team in your own stadium, in front of your own fans, collect all the stadium revenue, and presuming you win, roll into a neutral site game against #4 with some momentum and confidence?
The ND argument.

"just one more sellout games worth of revenue" is serious coin when your stadium holds 80,000+, and you can charge a premium price over your regular season prices.

Cut to 11 games? Doubtful. In fact, I could see it going the other way - expanding to 14 game regular seasons. Follow the money.

Cut to 11 games? Doubtful. In fact, I could see it going the other way - expanding to 14 game regular seasons. Follow the money.
It's already a 12 game regular season + 1 for CCG + 3 and possibly 4 more for CFP Championship teams, so anywhere from 13 at minimum to 17 at max right now. Highly doubt there will be much discussion about 14 regular season games anytime soon.

It's already a 12 game regular season + 1 for CCG + 3 and possibly 4 more for CFP Championship teams, so anywhere from 13 at minimum to 17 at max right now. Highly doubt there will be much discussion about 14 regular season games anytime soon.
90% of the schools don’t participate in CCG or the playoffs. The argument that we are having too many games has always astounded me. The majority of teams will play a 12 game regular season and that’s it.

90% of the schools don’t participate in CCG or the playoffs. The argument that we are having too many games has always astounded me. The majority of teams will play a 12 game regular season and that’s it.
Right, but the other programs, the premier programs who will be consistently competing in the CFP, will play more than that and a mandated 14 game regular season affects them as well.

Right, but the other programs, the premier programs who will be consistently competing in the CFP, will play more than that and a mandated 14 game regular season affects them as well.
Yeah. So?
Honestly, why are we worried about what 4 schools have to deal with to win a national championship? As I’ve mentioned before, college football is NFL lite anyway. If we are seriously considering paying college football players, that money is going to have to come from somewhere. Adding two games to each schools schedule guarantees at least one extra home game per year. The NFL is going to 17 games. 14 games is going to happen, I just don’t know when. Probably sooner rather than later.

Guys, if you think the communities, committees and organizations that run the Orange, Sugar, Rose, etc bowls are just going to quietly say "sure, we'll give up hosting this economically important event because you all want to change things," I'm not sure how you think the world actually works.

These bowl games command a lot more power (and money, which isn't necessarily the same thing) in college football then I think you realize.
Yep. The Rose Parade, Ross Princess (of which my cousin was one) and all the stuff that goes along with that game are pretty important to Pasadena (or Anaheim…whatever)

I didn’t know that. I listened to Kanell’s show on Sirius this week and they talked like it would be 11 games.
There may be a select few programs out there that present opinion as fact, causing folks to believe things that may not necessarily be 100% true. Not saying it happens often, but it’s a possibility.

I realize that the bowl games are important to CFB. But the bowls need college football more than college football needs the bowls.

I realize that the bowl games are important to CFB. But the bowls need college football more than college football needs the bowls.
Disagree. Bowl games make the entire NCAA money, home game for bama just makes them money. This definitely screws the top 4 teams such as bama, Clemson, Ohio st, Oklahoma but overall makes more money for the NCAA to distribute IMO
There may be a select few programs out there that present opinion as fact, causing folks to believe things that may not necessarily be 100% true. Not saying it happens often, but it’s a possibility.
i agree. In this case i thought it made sense bc as a 12 game schedule teams could in theory play 17 games. I don’t see the NCAA going for that. I could be way off though. Also think bowl games make much more money for the whole where as the home game makes money for bama, Clemson, Ohio st, oklahoma. Think the off campus makes more sense. Again, just my opinion

Disagree. Bowl games make the entire NCAA money, home game for bama just makes them money. This definitely screws the top 4 teams such as bama, Clemson, Ohio st, Oklahoma but overall makes more money for the NCAA to distribute IMO

i agree. In this case i thought it made sense bc as a 12 game schedule teams could in theory play 17 games. I don’t see the NCAA going for that. I could be way off though. Also think bowl games make much more money for the whole where as the home game makes money for bama, Clemson, Ohio st, oklahoma. Think the off campus makes more sense. Again, just my opinion
You can disagree all you want but if bowls were gone, we’d still have college football.

You can disagree all you want but if bowls were gone, we’d still have college football.
But would we?

Each time you take away the things that make college football unique and different, and bring it closer to NFL lite, it makes it more and more obvious that what we have is colleges fielding semi - pro teams, not college football.

But would we?

Each time you take away the things that make college football unique and different, and bring it closer to NFL lite, it makes it more and more obvious that what we have is colleges fielding semi - pro teams, not college football.
Speaking of that… how many games is this now under all of this expansion talk?

But would we?

Wait. I thought we were all operating under the assumption that we have already reached that point? Bowls haven’t mattered in a while unless they are associated with the CFP semi finals.

Wait. I thought we were all operating under the assumption that we have already reached that point? Bowls haven’t mattered in a while unless they are associated with the CFP semi finals.
Let’s just expand the playoff to 64 teams like the basketball tournament. Then, recognizing that the playoff would take too long to whittle it down to one champion, just play the first round. We could give these 32 games neat names, sponsors, and fun destinations. At the end of the first round, stop the playoff and let the press vote on the national champion. Everybody is happy.

But would we?

I didn’t say take the bowls away. I just think the playoff games should be on campus. There can be bowls AND playoffs.

Back