What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP recommended to expand to 12-team model

Heard an interesting point on the radio this morning I hadn't thought of, which is that with the top 4 spots having to be conference champs this means that an undefeated ND team ranked #1 for example still wouldn't get a bye. I don't like the idea of the top 4 seeds having to be conference champs and I could see that rule changing very early into the new format, unless this is also an impetus to get ND to join a conference. But at the same time it's interesting to note that Swarbrick was part of the group who put this model together.

I don't like the idea of the top 4 seeds having to be conference champs
Why? At least it was settled on the field to get to that place. It makes winning your conference somewhat important.

We all know the SEC CCG loser will also get in most years but it least it will be an uphill battle for them having to play in the #5-12 to then play the top 4 and onwards.

Serious question. Which bowls do you watch every year?
Before the playoffs…All of them. Now, meh…if I’ve got time and ones on I might watch it. Always the Rose Bowl, but it irritates me now with the teams playing in it I can’t tell I’m actually watching a Rose Bowl

What do you mean? History indicates such. Many examples. It will be routine.
i guess. But I’m having a hard time recalling the last 3 loss team to win the national championship. I’m sure you’re right.

Last edited:
Why? At least it was settled on the field to get to that place. It makes winning your conference somewhat important.

We all know the SEC CCG loser will also get in most years but it least it will be an uphill battle for them having to play in the #5-12 to then play the top 4 and onwards.

Reward the 4 best teams. But it's not at all out of the realm of possibility to have an undefeated #1 team who has played a difficult schedule playing a 1-loss highly ranked team and the 1-loss team winning.

A couple of thoughts
What the herd does and what I do are two different things.
I used to be a huge NFL fan. Rabid. I cannot tell you how many years it has been since I watched any nflgame.
It is too homogenized and commercialized. Choosing a team to Root for It is like picking between chili's and Applebee's
If cfb goes nfllite I likely will be doing something else.
Finally yeah I am here at AB but I don't go to games anymore. It is a much lower investment to post here than go to ogames. 15. Years of fb suckitude has had its effects.

A couple of thoughts
I used to be a huge NFL fan. Rabid. I cannot tell you how many years it has been since I watched any nflgame.
It is too homogenized and commercialized. Choosing a team to Root for It is like picking between chili's and Applebee's
Finally yeah I am here at AB but I don't go to games anymore. It is a much lower investment to post here than go to ogames. 15. Years of fb suckitude has had its effects.

I agree with much of this, particularly the part about the NFL although I still watch the Broncos every week. And this does feel like a move in the wrong direction for CFB but let's see how it plays out. It would take an awful lot to make me stop watching college football.

A couple of thoughts
I have a bunch of Buf magazines from Father In Law from back when the Buffs were great. Should I leave them on the front porch?

A couple of thoughts
I see we’re at this point in the offseason. Clockwork.*

*This is not a shot at you, specifically

I have a bunch of Buf magazines from Father In Law from back when the Buffs were great. Should I leave them on the front porch?
Generous of you FIB, but no, we are trying to declutter and my wife would probably kill me if I accumulate anymore Buff memorabilia.

The P12 is looking back of the bus and Scott's BS doesn't help the image/brand < hopefully he doesn't have the opportunity to shoot his mouth off again. SMH SMH SMH

The P12 is looking back of the bus and Scott's BS doesn't help the image/brand < hopefully he doesn't have the opportunity to shoot his mouth off again. SMH SMH SMH
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Watching FCS football this spring showed me that despite the FCS having a playoff in place, there were still must watch games on any given week. Games of the week and rivalry games are priorities for me this fall.

Haha same. I found out that I am actually not necessarily in the mood to watch any kind of football year round. The offseason build up and anticipation for teams I care about and exciting matchups is mostly what I care about
That’s exactly it. During the NORMAL season, I’ll watch Ball St v Weber St on a Thursday night. Once the season is done, I need a breather and reset.

Plus, for FCS, watching the same teams week in and week out for what seems like 7 weeks of playoffs is too much for me.

You have to quit any activity while it's still fun. If you do that, you look forward to the next time.

But there does come a point with anything where it's too much, too long, and it's just not fun anymore. Once you get to that point, it's hard to get back to looking forward to it again.

One of the things I love about following a college football team is that it's 12 weeks a year - plus 1 if you're good, plus 2-4 if you're really good. And that's it.

If you're ready for it to be over before it's over, it's going to be harder to feel excited about it next time.

It's for exactly this reason that I usually don't start following hockey until January, and it's usually mid March before I'm really watching seriously.

Anyway, one of the big reasons college football keeps a lot of fans is because the season is so short. You can't afford to miss even early season games, because they're important and effect things at the end.

And once the end of the season happens the statement is "it's over already?" not "I'm ready for the season to be over."

You have to quit any activity while it's still fun. If you do that, you look forward to the next time.

But there does come a point with anything where it's too much, too long, and it's just not fun anymore. Once you get to that point, it's hard to get back to looking forward to it again.

One of the things I love about following a college football team is that it's 12 weeks a year - plus 1 if you're good, plus 2-4 if you're really good. And that's it.

If you're ready for it to be over before it's over, it's going to be harder to feel excited about it next time.

It's for exactly this reason that I usually don't start following hockey until January, and it's usually mid March before I'm really watching seriously.

Anyway, one of the big reasons college football keeps a lot of fans is because the season is so short. You can't afford to miss even early season games, because they're important and effect things at the end.

And once the end of the season happens the statement is "it's over already?" not "I'm ready for the season to be over."
The season is getting longer - nearly 40% of the year!

Agree with most of this, but I disagree with the idea that the current shortness of the season is the reason for its popularity in general. I think it helps make the early weeks as intense and exciting as the later weeks, but generally, I think it would be just as popular with a longer season. I know this board pretends that the NFL sucks, but it is the 800 lb gorilla in American sports and every year after the Super Bowl it's like seasonal depression

Agree with most of this, but I disagree with the idea that the current shortness of the season is the reason for its popularity in general. I think it helps make the early weeks as intense and exciting as the later weeks, but generally, I think it would be just as popular with a longer season. I know this board pretends that the NFL sucks, but it is the 800 lb gorilla in American sports and every year after the Super Bowl it's like seasonal depression
I don't think it's the reason, but it is a reason.

It's human nature to extrapolate from your own experience and assume that many others have that same experience, and I try not to do that (often fail, but so does everyone else...).

Anyway, a large part of the reason I've checked out of the NFL is because the season is just too damn long. Following the league, or even a specific team, requires too large an investment of time, and by the end of the season, I was looking forward to "having my Sundays back."

So I took them back. All of them. I'm much happier for it.

I don't think it's the reason, but it is a reason.

It's human nature to extrapolate from your own experience and assume that many others have that same experience, and I try not to do that (often fail, but so does everyone else...).

Anyway, a large part of the reason I've checked out of the NFL is because the season is just too damn long. Following the league, or even a specific team, requires too large an investment of time, and by the end of the season, I was looking forward to "having my Sundays back."

So I took them back. All of them. I'm much happier for it.
Yeah I can understand that. I have definitely stopped watching as many CFB and NFL games, but will always block out time to watch Buffs on Saturday and Broncos on Sunday but there's just something about Saturday evenings watching a marquee CFB game while knowing there's a another whole day of football on tomorrow

First CU made a mistake not joining the PAC for either the 95/96 season, the brand was hot, a head coach with PAC roots and...if you're going to change conference do so with a loaded gun of talent.
Second the novelty of seeing USC & UCLA at Folsom wore off early and SC just replaced knu as the bane of CU.
Third as much as I disliked traveling to Manhattan, Lawrence and Ames I'd do it again vs traveling to Pullman, Salt Lake City or LA.
Fourth I don't buy into a make believe rivalry vs Utah...Utah will never compare to knu.
I've watched 99% of Buff games since joining the PAC,other than watching games of the teams the Buffs are scheduled to play I have no interest watching any others.
I watch as many B12 games a year as I do P12, during and after the season I guage where the Buffs would've finished had we not left. To further the Buffs might have went bowling 3-5 times in the last decade which begs would the brand been better served?
JMO

dp

Last edited:
Disagree. By the end of the season we have now, I’m burnt, and I can’t believe the NFL is still going. Sometimes I’ll throw on a Sunday football game during the college season if I’ve got nothing else going on. Once the college season is done, my football interest is done. February football is horrible.

Yeah I can understand that. I have definitely stopped watching as many CFB and NFL games, but will always block out time to watch Buffs on Saturday and Broncos on Sunday but there's just something about Saturday evenings watching a marquee CFB game while knowing there's a another whole day of football on tomorrow
Part of my problem is that unlike pro football, the college game is like a soap opera (out at least it used to be) where every game had some sort of impact on everyone else’s season so I felt like I had to be dialed in to every game I could to understand what was happening from week to week. Not really the case any more.

Part of my problem is that unlike pro football, the college game is like a soap opera (out at least it used to be) where every game had some sort of impact on everyone else’s season so I felt like I had to be dialed in to every game I could to understand what was happening from week to week. Not really the case any more.
You may not be a hockey fan, but the tweet below kind of sums up why I like an expanded CFB playoff. Every game is essentially still going to matter and affect other programs. I think most playoff teams in a given season will have 0, 1 or 2 losses. There might be a team that sneaks in with 3 losses.

You may not be a hockey fan, but the tweet below kind of sums up why I like an expanded CFB playoff. Every game is essentially still going to matter and affect other programs. I think most playoff teams in a given season will have 0, 1 or 2 losses. There might be a team that sneaks in with 3 losses.

Not sure if serious.
Nothing about losing 60% of your games and being afforded the opportunity to play for, much less win, the national championship appeals to me.

Not sure if serious.
Nothing about losing 60% of your games and being afforded the opportunity to play for, much less win, the national championship appeals to me.
Right. It doesn't appeal to you, but the point is that you are overblowing the whole "every game doesn't matter anymore" angle. You are also arguing for a system that has made CFB a 2-4 team race every year.

Back