What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Prime / Buffs Football Social Media Thread

Vic is certainly pro-sports centric but that aside I get where he's coming from when trying to get an interview with CP. IIRC previous CU coaches came on Denver radio somewhat regularly

Local media has **** on CU for 30 years now. And now that the dinosaur SID is gone, there’s a new sheriff in town. What goes around comes around.

Sorry Vic. Try getting Notre Dame’s coach on your AM show instead. Or the Broncos coach.

Meh. Denver media has never had anything like Prime. They don't understand a superstar personality like him. They can't fathom someone saying no to them.

Vic is a good dude and one of the only ones who loves everything Colorado.
Sure, but it might take those guys doing something they think is beneath them....showing up at fall camp media stuff.

He thinks because Norvell and Calhoun appear in studio with them they're entitled to the same treatment from CU.

They're not. Vic isn't Joel Klatt or Mark Schlereth (including him because I'm sure he and Prime crossed paths in the NFL). Speaking of which, CP's Big Noon Convo with Klatt drops tomorrow IIRC.

Last edited:
Maybe there is more context to it but the culture thing bothers me the most.The other stuff, he is being deliberately obtuse to cater to his audience
Funny hearing McChesney talk about culture. He might want to fix what is wrong in his own world first.

Matt spends a lot of time blowing his horn about the successes he has had in his gym but really is he that successful.

He has managed to take a bunch of high school kids and blow them up enough to get them into MWC schools, even a few into P5 schools but how many has he had that have been really successful at the power conference level that wouldn't have already been successful without him.

There is a tendency for a lot of kids that go to his gym to see really big gains in one or two years but then they stall out in college not getting much bigger and not developing into top college players.

I'm not going to detail specifically why I think this happens because I don't want it to sound like I'm dumping on kids but I think there is some stuff going on that colleges should look twice at and it seems like they have as in the past couple years he hasn't had a lot of kids getting big school attention compared to before.

He was mad when CU wasn't lining his kids up before for scholarships (especially those kids who ended up elsewhere and didn't end up accomplishing much) he's going to be really mad now because the level of kid Prime wants isn't coming out of a place like SixZero and isn't stuck with CSU if CU doesn't take him.

CSU fans would rather see their own team suck and their AD financially crash if it meant that CU was also a laughingstock vs having to live in a world where CU was a media darling that regularly made the CFB Playoffs.

My impression of them over the years is that they spend much more energy cheering against CU than they do cheering for CSU.
CSU fans want desperately to be "big time" but know in their hearts that if CU is 1-11 and CSU is 11-1 that CU is still closer to a national championship than they are.

A program that has trouble getting one sellout per year in a shiny new 35,000 seat on campus stadium, that late in the season has trouble getting 10,000 people to actually show up for a game, that pins it's hopes on players who were passed over or rejected by power conference teams, that even the recruits don't actually know where they are, etc. isn't big time.

CU has had the worst 20 year stretch in it's history and still dominates the Rams on and off the field.

We are simply talking about two completely different levels of college football and the CSU fans (especially that little core of serious fans who actually know and care what is going on) hate that reality.

CSU fans want desperately to be "big time" but know in their hearts that if CU is 1-11 and CSU is 11-1 that CU is still closer to a national championship than they are.

A program that has trouble getting one sellout per year in a shiny new 35,000 seat on campus stadium, that late in the season has trouble getting 10,000 people to actually show up for a game, that pins it's hopes on players who were passed over or rejected by power conference teams, that even the recruits don't actually know where they are, etc. isn't big time.

CU has had the worst 20 year stretch in it's history and still dominates the Rams on and off the field.

We are simply talking about two completely different levels of college football and the CSU fans (especially that little core of serious fans who actually know and care what is going on) hate that reality.
A legit gripe CSU fans have is that they are as big of a school with equivalent recruiting grounds in a better market with better academics than the likes of KSU, ISU and others which are "Power" conference members for decades but they're left out. They're really a cut above most of the MWC and AAC schools.

A legit gripe CSU fans have is that they are as big of a school with equivalent recruiting grounds in a better market with better academics than the likes of KSU, ISU and others which are "Power" conference members for decades but they're left out. They're really a cut above most of the MWC and AAC schools.
Except that their fans and alums aren't willing to put up the resources that plenty of schools that are not their peers do.

They can complain about CU but even at the worst CU was selling more tickets than the CSU stadium has seats, CU supporters contribute the funds needed to run a power conference football program. CU produces TV ratings that make them valuable to broadcasters.

We can make the same complaints about the schools that are in the Big Money 2 conferences. How many SEC schools are better academically than CU, have bigger TV markets, etc. They are in the position they are in because their fans show up and pay up more than we do.

This is college football. Stanford and Cal are in great recruiting ground and have top of the line academics. Why didn't the B1G take them. It's all about how much money they would make for the other schools.

Nobody in the college football world care how elite your Vet School is or your Environmental Science and Natural Resources programs. They care about how much interest you generate for advertisers.

Except that their fans and alums aren't willing to put up the resources that plenty of schools that are not their peers do.

They can complain about CU but even at the worst CU was selling more tickets than the CSU stadium has seats, CU supporters contribute the funds needed to run a power conference football program. CU produces TV ratings that make them valuable to broadcasters.

We can make the same complaints about the schools that are in the Big Money 2 conferences. How many SEC schools are better academically than CU, have bigger TV markets, etc. They are in the position they are in because their fans show up and pay up more than we do.

This is college football. Stanford and Cal are in great recruiting ground and have top of the line academics. Why didn't the B1G take them. It's all about how much money they would make for the other schools.

Nobody in the college football world care how elite your Vet School is or your Environmental Science and Natural Resources programs. They care about how much interest you generate for advertisers.
So, yes, they are justifiably frustrated. Case in point, now that OSU & WSU have been relegated it's more likely that CSU gets the call than either of them. Historical decisions have more to do with their situation than anything actually related to CSU today when compared to peers.

My biggest gripe is the bottom tier programs in the P2 that are where they are because they are easy wins for the top programs in their leagues, period.

There is now a ton of buzz about how the SEC and B1G are analyzing the final realignment and strategy for the final P2 teams, and it all hinges on the following schools:

Notre Dame is the end all be all for the final moves
Notre Dame can go to the B1G and then essentially choose 3 more schools to go with them, and they may choose Miami, North Carolina, and Stanford. Someone believes that ND and 3 more schools would add enough to the B1G to get the TV contract to move up to $200 Million per school. I call bulljunk, but sounds like they all believe it.
Then Florida State and Clemson go to the SEC, and then we are at the last of the last choices
Stanford may force the B1G to take CAL
Kansas
and Virginia are very attractive

The last 2-4 teams in the entire parade that should be in, but might not be, and should be worried as hell are:

Colorado
Utah
Arizona
(or Arizona State)

Anyone other than those already in P2 and those not on this list have very little chance of remaining relevant or even fielding upper level football teams, and yet, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Miss State, and a few others are safe because they will support it enough, and take all the losses for the upper teams. Such a dumb model that they are following.

So, yes, they are justifiably frustrated. Case in point, now that OSU & WSU have been relegated it's more likely that CSU gets the call than either of them. Historical decisions have more to do with their situation than anything actually related to CSU today when compared to peers.
There are some programs in the SEC/B1G that are only there because they historically have been part of those conferences but at that they still generate revenues and ratings that would put them solidly in the middle of the B12/ACC.

Show me the B12/ACC schools that are behind CSU in attendance and seat revenues, the ones that generate lower TV ratings than the Rams. It is hard to do.

I've argued before that the next stages in all the realignment are not more schools moving up but rather conferences shedding schools that don't pull their weight.

It would be no surprise to me in a few years when the next round of TV contracts come up to see the four power conferences go away completely and see a number of schools kicked to the curb the same as WSU and OSU were and Cal and Stanford almost were.

At that time it also wouldn't surprise me to see a 2-5 schools currently in the ACC/B12 elevated into the top tier and others dropped down a notch, we shall see.

Being honest if CU hadn't gotten serious when it did and brought in Prime we could very easily be sitting on the sidelines with OSU and WSU but we have far too much revenue generating potential to be left out as long as our administration is acting seriously about putting a quality product on the field and the court.

which power conference ISU do you believe has inferior academics to CSU?

I’m wondering if “buy” is more a euphemism for “gushingly positive in all situations” as I don’t feel like DNVR is rolling in dough.

BUT Brad would certainly be dialed in more than my speculation.
Make It Rain Money GIF

Back