What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

This is a good thing
Fake ass NIL pay for play is and always has been bogus.
Money will just go back under the table at the schools that have always been willing to play the game. This rule will only help the schools / boosters that do not want to play the bag game and the schools that have no deep pocked alums/boosters
1722069155334.png

Money will just go back under the table at the schools that have always been willing to play the game. This rule will only help the schools / boosters that do not want to play the bag game and the schools that have no deep pocked alums/boosters
View attachment 74088
Yep. But I think a lot of fans like it better when it's under the table since they can willfully ignore it, accuse other programs as cheating when their team loses a recruiting battle, and also never get asked to donate their own money to player procurement.

It's a very different feel when you're told that 18 year old recruits who may never help the team are going to be paid a lot more money than you make and that you need to donate some of your own income to help make it happen or the team's going to suck.

18 year old recruits who may never help the team are going to be paid a lot more money than you make and that you need to donate some of your own income to help make it happen or the team's going to suck.
This will break college football, and the old guard at the NCAA, the conferences, and in the coaching ranks knows it.

Yep. But I think a lot of fans like it better when it's under the table since they can willfully ignore it, accuse other programs as cheating when their team loses a recruiting battle, and also never get asked to donate their own money to player procurement.

It's a very different feel when you're told that 18 year old recruits who may never help the team are going to be paid a lot more money than you make and that you need to donate some of your own income to help make it happen or the team's going to suck.
This is where I’m at.

Stupid. Non athlete students don’t have to report financial deals over $0.01, why should athletes?
Well, it's normal for employees to have to report those things, and most students aren't employees.

Aaaaand, this is why continuing with the fiction that athletes aren't employees is problematic.

Once you place them in the employment framework, a lot of the issues become much easier to deal with. Yes, there are additional costs and issues, but at least there's a framework with legal certainty as opposed to the every idea ends up litigated and the ncaa/ schools regularly lose that litigation.

Well, it's normal for employees to have to report those things, and most students aren't employees.

Aaaaand, this is why continuing with the fiction that athletes aren't employees is problematic.

Once you place them in the employment framework, a lot of the issues become much easier to deal with. Yes, there are additional costs and issues, but at least there's a framework with legal certainty as opposed to the every idea ends up litigated and the ncaa/ schools regularly lose that litigation.
Employees have to report this to the IRS. I expect that these students should report their earnings to the IRS just like everyone else that earns income. But reporting to a separate, non government, entity is absurd.

I guess I’m cool with them being reclassified as employees. I’m not cool with holding them to a different standard than other students for off the field activities.

Employees have to report this to the IRS. I expect that these students should report their earnings to the IRS just like everyone else that earns income. But reporting to a separate, non government, entity is absurd.

I guess I’m cool with them being reclassified as employees. I’m not cool with holding them to a different standard than other students for off the field activities.
Many people have to report outside employment contracts to their employers as a condition of their employment - sometimes they even have to report volunteer positions.

While it's a minority of jobs, it's not terribly unusual.

Again, employment law provides a really good framework for all these legal issues; at some point it has to be easier than continuing on the stupid path they're on right now.

Many people have to report outside employment contracts to their employers as a condition of their employment - sometimes they even have to report volunteer positions.

While it's a minority of jobs, it's not terribly unusual.

Again, employment law provides a really good framework for all these legal issues; at some point it has to be easier than continuing on the stupid path they're on right now.
That’s fair, I didn’t realize that’s what you meant. In that case my question would be why is a third party entity determining the “validity” of the deal and can deem someone ineligible for the deal? It should be solely up to the university to decide. My whole issue here is the unrelated third party getting any say. The only people that should have a say are the athlete, the NIL provider, and maybe the school to an extent.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Back