What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Fred Folsom died 60 years ago this November. I think he would be okay at this point if we revisited how we name our stadium.

Heck even we could refer it to as Folsom Field even if there's a new name on it just like with the Broncos stadium's Mile High name.

It's past due for a naming rights deal at Folsom Field.

With the spotlight on the program, the time for the naming rights is now or never. Preserving name continuity to a degree is needed in longstanding programs, unlike the NFL.

I know how much the program could benefit from giving naming rights, but I'd prefer to give the stadium name rights away while keeping the field "Folsom Field"

E.g. Folsom Field at Casa Bonita stadium.

It's just so nostalgic for me I think I'd be sad if the official name of Folsom was removed.

Vols get a stadium naming rights deal without changing the name of the stadium. Something for CU to check into.
I don't think that's a naming rights deal, then. It's a exclusive marketing deal

Best as I can tell, all but one G5 school that hit 6 wins made it to a bowl game last year. What are they going to do? Walk away from the bowl money for a NIT 2nd tier playoff?

Weird.
Most teams lose money going to non premier bowl games, iirc. I don’t think it’d be hard to organize some kind of G5 playoff that generates the same or more revenue than ****ty bowl games

Most teams lose money going to non premier bowl games, iirc. I don’t think it’d be hard to organize some kind of G5 playoff that generates the same or more revenue than ****ty bowl games
Yep. You have travel costs and must buy your ticket allocation whether or not you can sell them. It's part of the conference media deal, though, and generally structured with the conference so that making a bowl doesn't make you lose money.

Best as I can tell, all but one G5 school that hit 6 wins made it to a bowl game last year. What are they going to do? Walk away from the bowl money for a NIT 2nd tier playoff?

Weird.
Not sure exactly how it would work but the existing bowl system was worked into the CFP, so I could see a scenario where some of the smaller bowls are worked into a G5 playoff.

The G5 commissioners will also discuss “the possibility of a reshaped postseason incorporating the bowl system.”

What makes this more meaningful than a bowl games?
Because of the disparity that continues to grow between P5 and G5, in my opinion this will become as meaningful to these players as the CFP is to P5 or the FCS playoffs are to those teams. A chance to be the champion is much more enticing to both players and fans than some random bowl.

Fred Folsom died 60 years ago this November. I think he would be okay at this point if we revisited how we name our stadium.
Heck even we could refer it to as Folsom Field even if there's a new name on it just like with the Broncos stadium's Mile High name.

It's past due for a naming rights deal at Folsom Field.
In this case I don't think it has anything to do with the memory of Fred Folsom.

I do think it has a lot to do with the brand and image of the University of Colorado, it's football program, and the way it is seen nationally.

Most college stadiums have or have had a name honoring somebody or a group of somebodies but outside of that university community nobody knows or cares.

CU though has spent decades building the identity around Folsom field. It is the stadium with the stone facade, with the amazing views of the mountains including the flatirons, the place where Ralphie runs. It is one of the more identifiable stadiums in the country, even more than many which are much larger and have seen much more recent success.

Doesn't mean that for the right price they couldn't do like the Broncos do (Folsom Field at Celestial Seasonings Stadium) but anything that detracts from the established identity they had better be getting well compensated for.

Ideally it would involve a high tech company (software, aerospace, bioscience, clean energy) and include some form of connection that enhances the academic/research efforts of the school in that area. The other would be to involve a company that is heavily identified with outdoor recreation or similar that would again continue to enhance the appeal of the university to potential students, donors, or research partners.

Last edited:
Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

Back