What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Folsom Field at South Park Stadium. Roaming sopapilla vendors.

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

harbarugh gets the dreaded show cause and waddles offi in his cheap khakis unscathed. i hope he gets fired in about 2 years at the chargers and is never heard from again. go count your ill-gotten dollars in your stupid rv in anonymity you dick.

michigan basically avoids real sanctions.

another day, another illustration of how ****ing awful the ncaa is as a governing body.

eastern michigan better be extra careful so that they do not get the death penalty.

this sport needs a ****ing actual working governing body and soon.

harbarugh gets the dreaded show cause and waddles offi in his cheap khakis unscathed. i hope he gets fired in about 2 years at the chargers and is never heard from again. go count your ill-gotten dollars in your stupid rv in anonymity you dick.

another day, another illustration of how ****ing awful the ncaa is as a governing body.

eastern michigan better be extra careful so that they do not get the death penalty.

When they get a governing body they aren't going to like it because it will be forced on them after they have refused to address the issues facing college sports.

It isn't hard to see a couple of congress members deciding to make their names politically by going after the NCAA on Title IX grounds. Very easy to show (and much easier now with NIL happening with the blessing, encouragement, and cooridination of the schools) that women athletes are not getting similar opportunities and benefits as the men.

Go beyond that and look at the cultures throughout the sport (Penn State, Baylor, Michigan State, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc. etc.) where abuses of women have not only been tolerated but covered up to protect male athletes in revenue sports in addition to abuses of others vulnerable populations (Penn State, MSU) in order to protect the "reputation" and revenue generating abilities of the athletic programs.

I can easily see an office directly authorized by congress to provide direct oversignt of college athletics within the Department of Education or the Justice Department. The hammer they will have for enforcement is eligibility of the entire institution to participate in federal funding including reseach grants, GI benefits, Pell grants, and the elephant in the room with eligibility to receive funds from federally guaranteed student loans, the loss of which for even a year would cripple most colleges and universities. Getting a student loan ban would be far more impactful than even the death penalty that SMU got.

When they get a governing body they aren't going to like it because it will be forced on them after they have refused to address the issues facing college sports.

It isn't hard to see a couple of congress members deciding to make their names politically by going after the NCAA on Title IX grounds. Very easy to show (and much easier now with NIL happening with the blessing, encouragement, and cooridination of the schools) that women athletes are not getting similar opportunities and benefits as the men.

Go beyond that and look at the cultures throughout the sport (Penn State, Baylor, Michigan State, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc. etc.) where abuses of women have not only been tolerated but covered up to protect male athletes in revenue sports in addition to abuses of others vulnerable populations (Penn State, MSU) in order to protect the "reputation" and revenue generating abilities of the athletic programs.

I can easily see an office directly authorized by congress to provide direct oversignt of college athletics within the Department of Education or the Justice Department. The hammer they will have for enforcement is eligibility of the entire institution to participate in federal funding including reseach grants, GI benefits, Pell grants, and the elephant in the room with eligibility to receive funds from federally guaranteed student loans, the loss of which for even a year would cripple most colleges and universities. Getting a student loan ban would be far more impactful than even the death penalty that SMU got.
Shut down Baylor and the Big 10. Problem solved.

These sanctions were from covid on illegal contact with recruits and buying a player a hamburger.

Employees have to report this to the IRS. I expect that these students should report their earnings to the IRS just like everyone else that earns income. But reporting to a separate, non government, entity is absurd.

I guess I’m cool with them being reclassified as employees. I’m not cool with holding them to a different standard than other students for off the field activities.
You mean like a freshman who works at Whole Foods to earn a little extra spending money?

That’s fair, I didn’t realize that’s what you meant. In that case my question would be why is a third party entity determining the “validity” of the deal and can deem someone ineligible for the deal? It should be solely up to the university to decide. My whole issue here is the unrelated third party getting any say. The only people that should have a say are the athlete, the NIL provider, and maybe the school to an extent.
So every program should set and police their own rules?

You mean like a freshman who works at Whole Foods to earn a little extra spending money?

So every program should set and police their own rules?
I’m not quite following what your question is in the first post? If what you’re saying in question 1 is should the athlete be treated no different than the freshman working at Whole Foods? Yes that’s what I believe

For question 2, I think trying to put any sort of rules around it outside of making it a collective bargaining setup like the NFL is bull****. If a school doesn’t want their athlete to engage in something because it might Be damaging to the school’s brand, I can understand that. Same as a company firing an employee for saying racist **** in a recorded video. But I just have a lot of issues with a bunch of mostly white, older men, trying to control what groups of young, mostly black men can and can’t do to earn money.

I’m not quite following what your question is in the first post? If what you’re saying in question 1 is should the athlete be treated no different than the freshman working at Whole Foods? Yes that’s what I believe

For question 2, I think trying to put any sort of rules around it outside of making it a collective bargaining setup like the NFL is bull****. If a school doesn’t want their athlete to engage in something because it might Be damaging to the school’s brand, I can understand that. Same as a company firing an employee for saying racist **** in a recorded video. But I just have a lot of issues with a bunch of mostly white, older men, trying to control what groups of young, mostly black men can and can’t do to earn money.
1. Athletes are held to a different standard than other students because some of them are making thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands and, in some cases millions.

2. There must be a level playing field, to the extent possible, across the athletics board. My point is that you can’t have a system in which each school makes and enforces their own rules. That leads to chaos.

1. Athletes are held to a different standard than other students because some of them are making thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands and, in some cases millions.

2. There must be a level playing field, to the extent possible, across the athletics board. My point is that you can’t have a system in which each school makes and enforces their own rules. That leads to chaos.
Is the CEO of a company held to a different standard than the middle manager by anyone other than the shareholders?

Vols get a stadium naming rights deal without changing the name of the stadium. Something for CU to check into.

Vols get a stadium naming rights deal without changing the name of the stadium. Something for CU to check into.
Fred Folsom died 60 years ago this November. I think he would be okay at this point if we revisited how we name our stadium.

Back