What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Is it just me or is there at least one article by the NYT every single ****ing year using CU as the example to question why sports should exist?

Guy rooted for us to be “above caring about winning football games”…. These people kill me bros. ARE YOU ****ING BLIND
Another example of not wanting to live in the world that is.

No, you will not find in the CU mission a goal of out-competing the Broncos for the sports entertainment dollar of consumers.

Yes, the attention that college sports, particularly football, receive is incredibly disproportionate to their importance to the actual endeavors of a university.

But knowing how sports, particularly football, promote the university while serving as a social connector for students, alums and community to drive donations and applications... what is the actual complaint? Sounds like the journalist and everyone he observed at Folsom had a fantastic time and made great lifelong memories attached to CU from that event. What, exactly, is the problem other than his philosophical, personal value judgment that sports should not be something in which universities involve themselves?

Honestly, it reads to me as someone pissing on the good time people are enjoying and arrogantly telling us that we have misplaced values for being passionate about football.

P.S. I hope the author appreciates that the clicks the NYT will get for a Prime CU story is the only reason he got a free trip to Boulder and an opportunity to attend a game for free, resulting in him having a great time making memories while getting to reconnect with friends and mentors for this story.

Last edited:
Another example of not wanting to live in the world that is.

No, you will not find in the CU mission a goal of out-competing the Broncos for the sports entertainment dollar of consumers.

Yes, the attention that college sports, particularly football, receive is incredibly disproportionate to their importance to the actual endeavors of a university.

But knowing how sports, particularly football, promote the university while serving as a social connector for students, alums and community to drive donations and applications... what is the actual complaint? Sounds like the journalist and everyone he observed at Folsom had a fantastic time and made great lifelong memories attached to CU from that event. What, exactly, is the problem other than his philosophical, personal value judgment that sports should not be something in which universities involve themselves?

Honestly, it reads to me as someone pissing on the good time people are enjoying and arrogantly telling us that we have misplaced values for being passionate about football.
It reads like someone who goes to one wine tasting and becomes the arbiter of luxury and culture

I haven't paid to get past the paywall on the NYT and am not going to bother otherwise.

Nick is correct that a lot of things about college sports are out of proportion but it's also ridiculous but understandable that they would use CU with Prime as an example.

Understandable because Prime is the huge story, CU draws the TV ratings, huge numbers of people out there are following CU, many of them hoping to see CU football and Prime fail for a variety of reasons, the biggest one being that he is a proud Black man who doesn't bow to the white establishment of the game.

Ridiculous because they don't pay attention to what Prime is really about. Yes he is very much about winning, yes he expects his team to perform and will make changes necessary for that to happen.

They don't though pay attention to his other expectations for his players. Expectations that they go to class, expectations that they get the most positive out of the college experience, expectations that they be quality people off the field and after football.

When you get 100+ young men away from home for the first time in a college environment with the attention and other benefits that come from being an athlete you will eventually have some issues. Compare though what we have seen from the Buffs since Prime has been here to many other schools.

Look at the graduation rate, at the team GPA, at the relatively small number of players who have shown up in police reports (in a town that is known for making sure any transgression is reported.)

No Prime isn't perfect and I do wish for a situation where college football was more in line with what we think a college should be all about but trying to use CU as an example of what is wrong with college football only serves to show the biases of the author and the reading audience.

I somehow transitioned from that NYTimes article to this:

I think it's funny. I think there is a little truth in it for college coaches in this environment in pushing the brand and not necessarily the school.

Back