What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Doesn't explain why half the top recruits from CA leave the state
Because they’re okay with warmth and beautiful women elsewhere? There’s hundreds of really good players in Cali and thousands of decent ones. There are a myriad of factors why people leave their home state.

BTW, I was agreeing with you. Academics don’t matter to most football players. Weather and women are big factors. If they weren’t schools wouldn’t intentionally hire gorgeous female recruiting assistants. I think you’d agree with that.

I don't know where you got your numbers, but I use USNews rankings for National Universities. Harvard, Yale are all towards the top. TRUE: The PAC-12 is a better academic conference than the B12. But anyone using a Pac-12 is better academically than the rest of the P5 conferences is using out of date material. Just looking at the Top 60 schools: ACC--8, B1G--8, PAC-12--5, SEC--4. CU is #103, tied with Arizona State and Oregon; behind Arizona. I think we have TABOR to thank for CU no longer having the perception of being "CAL-Berkley" of the Rockies.

Unless, you school is sniffing the Top-50 (that is why I used the Top-60 schools), I would not call it excellent academically. The California Schools are a bit odd, they have quite a few state schools in the Top-60-- Davis, Irvine, San Diego. Plus Santa Clara and Pepperdine.

For large universities, I believe Football and Academics is a two way street and they both need each other. Football is the #1 national exposure vehicle. I believe if your team is good, with increased positive exposure, then the pool of highly qualified applicants goes up and out-of-state students have more interest driving academics and revenue up. With winning, there is more outside and alumni participation, thus more donations to both the AD and the University for academics.

Still better than DU, amirite?

Because they’re okay with warmth and beautiful women elsewhere? There’s hundreds of really good players in Cali and thousands of decent ones. There are a myriad of factors why people leave their home state.

BTW, I was agreeing with you. Academics don’t matter to most football players. Weather and women are big factors. If they weren’t schools wouldn’t intentionally hire gorgeous female recruiting assistants. I think you’d agree with that.
Yeah, plenty of warmth and beautiful women in Florida, South Carolina, Georgia and parts of Alabama (presumably).

Fun fact: my undergraduate degree is from DU.

What about those law school rankings? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, but when you went undergrad, CU was way ahead in the rankings... therefore, my undergrad degree is much much more valuable than yours! Not to mention, CU had a corner on the hot ladies... Explains a lot, your parents had the money, but you did not have the grades or test scores to get into CU during the glory daze of CU football. You could have gone to CSU, UNC, or Ft. Lewis but your parent's ponied up the cash. I didn't look at the law school rankings, I think you might have to pay extra for that. :p

So long as you are on the issue of law school rankings, your self-admitted hero Go-Nad-Lar (Columbia LS grad) has had a great year, I'll post a re-cap on our ISLA banter thread. Just remember: "don't trust the fart..."

Yeah, but when you went undergrad, CU was way ahead in the rankings... therefore, my undergrad degree is much much more valuable than yours! Not to mention, CU had a corner on the hot ladies... Explains a lot, your parents had the money, but you did not have the grades or test scores to get into CU during the glory daze of CU football. You could have gone to CSU, UNC, or Ft. Lewis but your parent's ponied up the cash. I didn't look at the law school rankings, I think you might have to pay extra for that. :p

So long as you are on the issue of law school rankings, your self-admitted hero Go-Nad-Lar (Columbia LS grad) has had a great year, I'll post a re-cap on our ISLA banter thread. Just remember: "don't trust the fart..."

Argued as well as possible for a DU lawyer. Still very poorly done.

They don’t. But they matter to alumni who send checks. The move to the PAC 12 has done little for the success of the football program, but it has done wonders for alumni relations. If we truly feel that the athletic department is an extension of the school and a marketing tool, (which is what we all whine about every time we want to fire a coach), then we need to acknowledge the benefits the PAC 12 membership has provided the school itself.
What alumni are shelling out 20 plus million dollars a year, because that is the difference in money right now.

From another board.

aTm and tOSU should play this weekend.
No upside for tOSU to do that, IMO. Looks like BIG is likely to change the rules to allow tOSU into the CCG where they will soundly beat Northwestern and secure a playoff spot. tOSU shouldn't do aTm and the SEC any favors.

Football fans don't get to make decisions about conferences and other things. University administrators do. You think CU's powers don't remember being in the same conference as Oklahoma State, who matriculated illiterate students as long as they could play football? It matters to them that they can claim to be the academic peer of Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Washington, etc.

Tbf, Cal has allowed some subpar students to attend who just happened to be excellent players.

That said, the B12 and even the big 8 always had to contend with the "students" suiting up for the bugeaters, the land thieves, and so on.

BIG is of course going to change the rules in the best interest of their conference.

The difference in BIG and Pac 12 is in the third tweet. BIG ADs wield a ton of power and authority over athletic decisions. The Pac 12 has a "CEO Group" that consists of Academics making athletic decisions and ADs don't really have much say.

It’s behind a paywall, but the Athletic has a decent article essentially asking why a potentially 6-0 Ohio State team is viewed as a virtual lock for the playoffs, but a potentially 6-0 USC is seen as a no-hoper. I kinda get why CU gets no love with its perception as an irrelevant program, but it really speaks to the perception of the conference that a blue-blood program like USC can’t even get real consideration.

BIG is of course going to change the rules in the best interest of their conference.

The difference in BIG and Pac 12 is in the third tweet. BIG ADs wield a ton of power and authority over athletic decisions. The Pac 12 has a "CEO Group" that consists of Academics making athletic decisions and ADs don't really have much say.

Yes. Their conference is managed by the ADs and pocketbooks. The P12 is managed by University Presidents and a meh commissioner.

It’s behind a paywall, but the Athletic has a decent article essentially asking why a potentially 6-0 Ohio State team is viewed as a virtual lock for the playoffs, but a potentially 6-0 USC is seen as a no-hoper. I kinda get why CU gets no love with its perception as an irrelevant program, but it really speaks to the perception of the conference that a blue-blood program like USC can’t even get real consideration.
Usc hasn’t played anyone, that’s why. Ohio state atleast beat a ranked team and dominated most of their games outside of that. Usc barely beat arizona state and arizona.

Usc hasn’t played anyone, that’s why. Ohio state atleast beat a ranked team and dominated most of their games outside of that. Usc barely beat arizona state and arizona.
Ohio State’s actual schedule has not really been that impressive either (Nubs, Sparty, Rutgers). Their “big” win was against Indiana, a great story this year, but not viewed as an elite program by any stretch; and Ohio State struggled with them. Just doesn’t seem like the chasm is as large as some would try to make it.

I'm just glad the BIG has decided to change the rules on the fly. Should give the Pac 12 the requisite permission needed to do the same thing.
They won’t get a rule break. Oregon and Washington have MUCH more clout than Colorado. We only get in the CCG if we win and U$C loses OR we both win and the conference drops below the per team requirement.

The Ohio State’s power and clout in the B1G is not analagous to Colorado’s power and clout in the P12. The P12 does not care about treating Colorado fairly.

Last edited:
Ohio State’s actual schedule has not really been that impressive either (Nubs, Sparty, Rutgers). Their “big” win was against Indiana, a great story this year, but not viewed as an elite program by any stretch; and Ohio State struggled with them. Just doesn’t seem like the chasm is as large as some would try to make it.
That’s fine but if USC dominated arizona and arizona state like Ohio state has been doing they would be higher. You may not think Indiana is a good program but they are ranked in the top 15 so the playoff committee does. Ohio state was also but by like 4 touchdowns in that game before a late comeback.

Guys, calm down. There is no reason to change anything if you are the pac 12 right now. Let the games play out (or not play out). The big ten standings were set in Ohio state’s division even if they lost this weekend.

the pac can wait to see if both usc and colorado win this weekend, see the outcome of the Washington/oregon game and make a decision after that.

Ohio State opponents combined record is 14-19, but Indiana is the only winning program they've played and it was a close game. They will also beat another ranked team in Northwestern in the CCG.

USC opponents combined record is 2-10, and both ASU and UA were barely wins. UCLA would be a good win for them this weekend and then they would beat an unranked UW/Oregon team in the CCG.

Putting all the preseason hype/rankings and conference perceptions aside, this alone is enough of a disparity, IMO, to give tOSU the nod. Pac 12 needs to field more ranked teams.

Back