What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado @ USC

Nobody is misrepresenting your position. Your argument creates a capricious standard for teams that doesn’t make sense. I can’t believe an old foagie likes orange slice culture.
They do make sense just not in this application. I wouldn't be upset if a .500 team did what USC did, but it's pretty easy to understand his position. You can take a knee and the game is over in 30 seconds or score a TD to make the game look worse than it was, while prolonging the real-time conclusion.

The genesis of unwritten rules in sports happens for a reason. People don't like having defeat rubbed into their faces. Feel free to pimp a home run all you want, but if the next guy gets 95mph in the ribs, that's on you. Ffs hockey players will start a fight if the opponent shoots the puck at the net 0.125 seconds after the whistle blows. That probably started BC helmets weren't a thing but now, the goalie won't get hurt with today's protection... it doesn't get more arbitrary. If you never played and can't understand why players would react like that, then ask someone who did. They'll say, "they could've stopped, it's disrespectful, go fvck yourself." Easily understandable if you're even mildly competative and played the game

this is the point.

when we started ****ing these ****s up especially ou and the fuskers the way they ****ed us up for a couple decades, i did not feel bad for them. those cocksuckers had it coming. and it felt especially great after the years of abuse we took.

scorch earth the mother ****ers and make them beg for their mommas. that is the best revenge and it isn't even close.

like i said, my biggest beef right now is that if we are someday capable of handing the ****ing trojans the giant flaming **** sandwich that they so rightfully deserve, we may not get the chance.

fuskers must die. this applies to all our enemies.

stop ****ing whining. keep ****ing complaining to the powers that be.

phillip needs to GTFO.

hate everyone that isn't us. put your ****ing money where your ****ing mouth is.
Angry drunk. Noted.

You misconstrued what he said, that's bad faith. He thinks scoring with 30 seconds left on the clock is classless. You may think it's arbitrary, but he doesn't. He's not trying to deceive you he just thinks there should be a point when the offense kneels to end the game instead of prolonging the inevitable. Put it another way, had USC been at the 50 with 5 seconds on the clock and ran a flea flicker that went for 6....i think most here would have a different opinion and say it was classless, I know I would
Sounds like there would have been time left on the clock - fair game

They do make sense just not in this application. I wouldn't be upset if a .500 team did what USC did, but it's pretty easy to understand his position. You can take a knee and the game is over in 30 seconds or score a TD to make the game look worse than it was, while prolonging the real-time conclusion.

The genesis of unwritten rules in sports happens for a reason. People don't like having defeat rubbed into their faces. Feel free to pimp a home run all you want, but if the next guy gets 95mph in the ribs, that's on you. Ffs hockey players will start a fight if the opponent shoots the puck at the net 0.125 seconds after the whistle blows. That probably started BC helmets weren't a thing but now, the goalie won't get hurt with today's protection... it doesn't get more arbitrary. If you never played and can't understand why players would react like that, then ask someone who did. They'll say, "they could've stopped, it's disrespectful, go fvck yourself." Easily understandable if you're even mildly competative and played the game
So classless retaliation is ok? You're inconsistent.

“Make it looks worse than it was?” How good did you think that looked before the garbage time TD?

So you're telling me that if USC wins the rest of their games, the difference between them being into the playoff and not is that they beat Colorado 55-17 instead of 47-17.

Come on.
I’m torn. Part of me wants no PAC 12 team to go to the CFP because that might extend the league's existence, but the other part wants USC to go so I can watch them get pounded
52-13 by an SEC team. It’s a quandary.

I’m torn. Part of me wants no PAC 12 team to go to the CFP because that might extend the league's existence, but the other part wants USC to go so I can watch them get pounded
52-13 by an SEC team. It’s a quandary.

Irrelevant now.

The only way a Pac-12 team was going to get into the playoff if a one-loss Oregon played a one-loss USC or UCLA in the Pac-12 CCG. Now that Oregon and UCLA both **** the bed last night, it's impossible. USC can still go 12-1, but they'll be left out in favor of Tennessee and Michigan.

Irrelevant now.

The only way a Pac-12 team was going to get into the playoff if a one-loss Oregon played a one-loss USC or UCLA in the Pac-12 CCG. Now that Oregon and UCLA both **** the bed last night, it's impossible. USC can still go 12-1, but they'll be left out in favor of Tennessee and Michigan.
If Oregon beats Utah next week and SC wins out, they’ll be in, IMO, but I’m sure we’ll have assholeskin in here screaming that Tennessee will get in over them.

I played sports as a kid. In college, I had significant interactions with athletes at Colorado when we had good football teams. As an adult, I’ve interacted and socialized with many professional athletes. We’ve discussed this exact issue. Unless they’re white baseball players or hockey players, they don’t agree with your position.

These “unwritten rules” are from a bygone era and are holdovers from youth sports. These “unwritten rules” are, as you admit, based upon conventions when money and technology weren’t nearly as influential. These “unwritten rules” do not apply to the billion dollar industry of P5 college football.

Irrelevant now.

A one loss (one point late loss on road) conference champion would have an argument against a one loss, non conference champ Tenn and Michigan.
Committee will have to deliberate. Not a slam dunk either way IMO.

So classless retaliation is ok? You're inconsistent.
I'm neutral on the issue but I reject your frame regardless. The only point I'm trying to make - if someone breaks an "unwritten rule" then it shouldn't be a surprise if someone responds negatively. It's really simple, some athletes will interpret it as disrespect and act accordingly. It's a natural reaction and not much different than a player starting a fight because the opposing player stood over him like he was ray Lewis who just made a super bowl clinching truck stick tackle
“Make it looks worse than it was?” How good did you think that looked before the garbage time TD?
That was my inference why USC went for it, to look good for cfb playoff. Can't blame them
I played sports as a kid. In college, I had significant interactions with athletes at Colorado when we had good football teams. As an adult, I’ve interacted and socialized with many professional athletes. We’ve discussed this exact issue. Unless they’re white baseball players or hockey players, they don’t agree with your position.

These “unwritten rules” are from a bygone era and are holdovers from youth sports. These “unwritten rules” are, as you admit, based upon conventions when money and technology weren’t nearly as influential. These “unwritten rules” do not apply to the billion dollar industry of P5 college football.
White baseball and hockey players - hello, nice ti meet you. Got my first pair of skates before my 3rd birthday and played 1 year college bb.

Bygone era - I wouldn't be so sure of that if I were you. Sure the games have evolved to eliminate some of the non arbitrary reasons, goalies wear helmets now, but the core reasons they became rules in the first place remain in a lot of cases. It's nothing but the interpretation of respect and some people are well, Roger clemens. One I never understood was the outrage about bunting to break up a no no late in the game. You're both trying to win, i don't see the issue.

The reasons for perceived disrespect will likely remain the same as the game changes too. 20 years ago, a player retaliating against an opposing player who took a "late" shot at their sliding QB practically never happened. An egregious late hit sure, but sliding no. In today's game, it gets a response fairly frequently

I'm neutral on the issue but I reject your frame regardless. The only point I'm trying to make - if someone breaks an "unwritten rule" then it shouldn't be a surprise if someone responds negatively. It's really simple, some athletes will interpret it as disrespect and act accordingly. It's a natural reaction and not much different than a player starting a fight because the opposing player stood over him like he was ray Lewis who just made a super bowl clinching truck stick tackle

That was my inference why USC went for it, to look good for cfb playoff. Can't blame them

White baseball and hockey players - hello, nice ti meet you. Got my first pair of skates before my 3rd birthday and played 1 year college bb.

Bygone era - I wouldn't be so sure of that if I were you. Sure the games have evolved to eliminate some of the non arbitrary reasons, goalies wear helmets now, but the core reasons they became rules in the first place remain in a lot of cases. It's nothing but the interpretation of respect and some people are well, Roger clemens. One I never understood was the outrage about bunting to break up a no no late in the game. You're both trying to win, i don't see the issue.

The reasons for perceived disrespect will likely remain the same as the game changes too. 20 years ago, a player retaliating against an opposing player who took a "late" shot at their sliding QB practically never happened. An egregious late hit sure, but sliding no. In today's game, it gets a response fairly frequently
Billion dollar football and the sports you name are different.

Hitting a sliding QB is against the rules. My side is that teams get to do everything that’s not against the rules. Your side is the “unwritten rules” from the bygone era when the players were only paid under the table.

For those of you who are upset with USC for adding on to the score late in the game do you think that in general scoring when a game is out of hand is classless?

How about if a team is up 66-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter and scores another 14 in the 4th, are they classless?

Happened this past weekend with Fort Lewis at Mines.

For context Mines offense is a passing based offense, they throw the ball all over the field. In this game they had the end of the bench in the game and were running simple running plays. Just happened that on one drive those running plays moved the ball down the field ending with 5 yard TD run. Later in the quarter but still with about 7 minutes left they went even deeper on the bench and on the first play the guy took a simple handoff 44 yards for the TD.

Two things with the USC game. One is that the final scores meant they covered the spread. Not USC's fault that CU is bad enough for the spread to be that large but as I've posted earlier the coaches know what the spread is because it impacts donations. This is a multi-million dollar business and that money matters, like it or not. Second is that the players on the field (mostly back-ups) work hard in practice. They deserve a chance to play football and actually run plays. Don't want them scoring on you suck it up and stop them.

Billion dollar football and the sports you name are different.

Hitting a sliding QB is against the rules. My side is that teams get to do everything that’s not against the rules. Your side is the “unwritten rules” from the bygone era when the players were only paid under the table.
Me for the 100th time in the same thread> I don't care USC scored at the end of the game but here's why some people are mad

You> why are you so mad, dinosaur?

Lol

Me for the 100th time in the same thread> I don't care USC scored at the end of the game but here's why some people are mad

You> why are you so mad, dinosaur?

Lol
You wrote “I reject your frame regardless.”

You > “I forgot the idiotic sh!t I wrote”.

Stop talking to me when all you have is this weak sh!t.

You wrote “I reject your frame regardless.”

You > “I forgot the idiotic sh!t I wrote”.

Stop talking to me when all you have is this weak sh!t.
Lol, when you read a book, you don't repeat the words in your head, like you're talking to yourself but silent, do you?

Throwing the ball at their earhole would be classless. Plunking him mid back is not, he'll be ok. It is the restoration of decorum, thus I reject your frame. Why would taunting be ok but responding to it not? You must be stupid

Lol, when you read a book, you don't repeat the words in your head, like you're talking to yourself but silent, do you?

Throwing the ball at their earhole would be classless. Plunking him mid back is not, he'll be ok. It is the restoration of decorum, thus I reject your frame. Why would taunting be ok but responding to it not? You must be stupid
You’re now in the non-sequitor phase. Please stop talking to me. You are observably stupid.

Back