What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Auto-Bid & Bubble Watch

I'm not suggesting by any means that the same arguments should apply for both football and basketball, but discussing Gonzaga and whether they deserve a 1 seed is very reminiscent of discussing UCF and whether they should get a playoff spot. The argument against UCF was "if they played a P5 schedule, week in and week out, facing the top level of competition, they would definitely lose a few along the way and we wouldn't be talking about them".

When I look at the WCC standings, it appears there is likewise a huge drop-off after Gonzaga. No other teams in the top 30 NET (and only one other in the Top 70). Gonzaga had a nice neutral court win over Duke, certainly UCF didn't have a comparable non-conf win. Other than the tourney winner, I don't believe the WCC will put another team in the tourney; UCF played six bowl teams in conference.

Why does nobody ask "if Gonzaga played in the ACC would their resulting record put them in the discussion for a #1 seed?"

Very beginning is all you needed. Basketball is not football.

I'm not suggesting by any means that the same arguments should apply for both football and basketball, but discussing Gonzaga and whether they deserve a 1 seed is very reminiscent of discussing UCF and whether they should get a playoff spot. The argument against UCF was "if they played a P5 schedule, week in and week out, facing the top level of competition, they would definitely lose a few along the way and we wouldn't be talking about them".

When I look at the WCC standings, it appears there is likewise a huge drop-off after Gonzaga. No other teams in the top 30 NET (and only one other in the Top 70). Gonzaga had a nice neutral court win over Duke, certainly UCF didn't have a comparable non-conf win. Other than the tourney winner, I don't believe the WCC will put another team in the tourney; UCF played six bowl teams in conference.

Why does nobody ask "if Gonzaga played in the ACC would their resulting record put them in the discussion for a #1 seed?"
Gonzaga beat Duke when Duke was fully healthy and ranked #1 in the early part of the year. It's very different than a G5 football team that didn't beat a playoff caliber team during the regular season.

Another thing that annoys me about the SOS impact on the NET rank is the conference impact.

For example, we can look at the ACC. Virginia, Duke and North Carolina are great. Florida State and VA Tech are on the edge of great. Just having 8-10 games against those teams doesn't make your team Dance-worthy because you found a way to a 17-19 win season. Those wins also included a healthy dose of Wake, Pitt, Notre Dame, BC and Miami along with 4 other mediocre conference teams on your schedule and a non-conference slate that was padded with at least 7 body bag games.

Last edited:
Colgate won the Patriot to save a bubble spot. Loser, Bucknell, is probably not enough of a resume for the NIT.

GUEST_c8f42ae7-c038-4b7b-ae9c-2910fa072ed3

In a sense yes however basketball allows for a longer/ more competitive non conference schedule.

CU's NET rating dropped from #69 to #72 with the neutral site win over Cal yesterday.

OSU is #84, so a win today would shoot the Buffs in the other direction.

This highlights my issue with the ratings. Winning a game should never harm your resume.

CU's NET rating dropped from #69 to #72 with the neutral site win over Cal yesterday.

This highlights my issue with the ratings. Winning a game should never harm your resume.

I can't seem to find a place with the raw numbers for NET Rankings posted, do you know of one?

I'm guessing that there's very little difference in the numbers between #60-80, so a rather inefficient win like yesterday possibly resulted in a small change in the rating score, which translated to a move of a few spots down.

Any rankings are going to be imperfect, I'm more worried that selection committee members don't realize that, statistically, the rankings are most likely saying that teams like Xavier, Providence, ETSU, and Colorado have essentially identical resumes as calculated by the ranking and it's inconsequential that the Cal game shuffled that grouping a bit.

A few early round conference tourney games may actually be bubble elimination games.

Indiana (17-14) plays Ohio State (18-13) in the BIG at 10:30 on BTN.
Arkansas (17-14) plays Florida (17-14) in the SEC at 11:00.
Creighton (18-13) plays Xavier (17-14) in the Big East at 12:30 on FS1.
Georgetown (19-12) plays Seton Hall (18-12) in the Big East at 7:30 on FS1.

Doesn't look like there are any final round games today or tomorrow. Saturday will be nuts, though. These next 2 days are mostly about positioning on the bubble.

A few early round conference tourney games may actually be bubble elimination games.

Indiana (17-14) plays Ohio State (18-13) in the BIG at 10:30 on BTN.
Arkansas (17-14) plays Florida (17-14) in the SEC at 11:00.
Creighton (18-13) plays Xavier (17-14) in the Big East at 12:30 on FS1.
Georgetown (19-12) plays Seton Hall (18-12) in the Big East at 7:30 on FS1.

Doesn't look like there are any final round games today or tomorrow. Saturday will be nuts, though. These next 2 days are mostly about positioning on the bubble.

I don't get how Florida is still on the bubble-I thought I read they were 3-11 in quadrant one games.

Well, I’d say winning games you’re forced to play (i.e. conference games) should never harm your resume. But if you choose these garbage teams for OOC...that’s on you.

I don't get how Florida is still on the bubble-I thought I read they were 3-11 in quadrant one games.
Those 8 losses improved their NET at ton. They're ranked #33. Same thing going on with Texas (playing Kansas today). UT is ranked #38 at 16-15 and I think it was Lunardi who predicted them into the Dance even if they lose to finish with a .500 record.

Iowa State is blowing out Baylor right now.

What we want to see is for the Big 12 to look completely top heavy with TTU, ISU, KSU and KU. Blowouts in their tourney softens the bubble a lot with Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas all trying to get bids. Hard to put 4 teams from a conference into the Dance on the 11 & 12 lines.

Providence just lost to Villanova by double digits.

Good result for CU. They were a few spots ahead of us on NET and projected a seed above us in the NIT. Now they're 18-15, which makes them very questionable for even making the NIT.

I watched some of the TTU game yesterday and thought they'd have won the PAC12!
I might be picking TTU in my NCAA tourney bracket to win it all. Insanely good defense and their offense has hit a groove the last part of the season. Great team.

They played Duke really tough, that was before their offense started clicking, too. Tech would be a solid pick.

Ohio State beat Indiana.

I'm not sure that tOSU is in because if they lose in the next round they end up at 19-14 without a great resume.

Indiana better not make the Dance at 17-15.

Iowa State is blowing out Baylor right now.

What we want to see is for the Big 12 to look completely top heavy with TTU, ISU, KSU and KU. Blowouts in their tourney softens the bubble a lot with Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas all trying to get bids. Hard to put 4 teams from a conference into the Dance on the 11 & 12 lines.
TCU looking good against K-State right now.

Those 8 losses improved their NET at ton. They're ranked #33. Same thing going on with Texas (playing Kansas today). UT is ranked #38 at 16-15 and I think it was Lunardi who predicted them into the Dance even if they lose to finish with a .500 record.

The more and more I read about the NET, the more and more I think RPI is honestly better and we should go back to it-I've made the point about Furman, UNCG......who are being talked up as bubble candidates despite not really doing much in the OOC. I'd have made the same argument about Wofford had they lost on Monday. You don't get brownie points in my opinion for playing in a league like the SoCon and beating the teams in your conference on the road or whatever-gaudy records aside. Furman, UNCG, and Wofford would not sniff the bubble with RPI.

Let's talk about Florida and Texas-any system that punishes a team like us for beating garbage Cal on the road but rewards a team like UF for losing to LSU at home is flawed. Period.

Xavier blew their lead. Man if USC could somehow beat Washington this could get interesting in the Pac.

The NET is going to get tweaked. It still factors in far more qualitative data than the RPI ever did. Seems to me that the NET has a pretty good understanding of the top 35 or so teams. The commitee only picks about half the field of the 68. The other half are auto-bids give or take a few. No matter what they do, there’s going to be people crying about their bubble team because it’s good for TV and fans are irrational.

But if a team with a .500 or worse record gets an at-large bid, I will be LMFAO and trashing the system just like everyone else.

The more and more I read about the NET, the more and more I think RPI is honestly better and we should go back to it-I've made the point about Furman, UNCG......who are being talked up as bubble candidates despite not really doing much in the OOC. I'd have made the same argument about Wofford had they lost on Monday. You don't get brownie points in my opinion for playing in a league like the SoCon and beating the teams in your conference on the road or whatever-gaudy records aside. Furman, UNCG, and Wofford would not sniff the bubble with RPI.

Let's talk about Florida and Texas-any system that punishes a team like us for beating garbage Cal on the road but rewards a team like UF for losing to LSU at home is flawed. Period.

Fundamental disagreement with me then. Give me more Woffords and UNCGs and less 16-15 Texases or 8-12 in conference Ohio States. The primary point is to win games against whoever you play.

Back