What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs Football - 2022 Eligibility & Depth Charts

Tyson’s a true freshman who will likely be in the rotation quite a bit. Sneed was injured all camp and just started practicing last week. WR is a fairly deep position regardless. The least concerning position on the team
I'm sort of being snarky. I agree that WR is probably the deepest position on the roster.

I know that there's a new sheriff in town, but KD's staff has been spotty in playing true freshman at the WR spot. The equivalent I would point to is MLC, who had exactly one target in the shortened 2020 season after being hyped all fall camp. The guy who was in that spot on the depth chart last year was Chris Carpenter, who didn't see any time.

I'm sort of being snarky. I agree that WR is probably the deepest position on the roster.

I know that there's a new sheriff in town, but KD's staff has been spotty in playing true freshman at the WR spot. The equivalent I would point to is MLC, who had exactly one target in the shortened 2020 season after being hyped all fall camp. The guy who was in that spot on the depth chart last year was Chris Carpenter, who didn't see any time.
Man, I hate to pile on, but KD was eventually starting two true freshman wide receiver last year in Penry and Robinson, right?

But who was Carpenter behind last year? Stanley? Chase Penry and Ty Robinson both saw a decent amount of snaps last year as true freshman. I actually think KD is the first CU HC in a while who has actually shown the willingness to play younger players, including true freshman. Reed, Moore, Woods, Tyrin Taylor, Penry, and Robinson are a few from last season, and it sounds like Tyson, Wiggins, Oliver, Kerry, Offerdahl (walk on), Hestera (walk on), and Dixson all could see time this year (acknowledging that some could be out of necessity due to lack of depth).

Man, I hate to pile on, but KD was eventually starting two true freshman wide receiver last year in Penry and Robinson, right?
I don't think Robinson ever started a game, but he saw significant time. instead of spotty, I should say "hit or miss."

My main point here is that I recall an article where "pretty much every player and coach" said that Jordyn Tyson was the best newcomer, and I expected that would have translated to a position on the two deep. Hopefully, like Yak said, this means that WR is extremely deep.

I don't think Robinson ever started a game, but he saw significant time. instead of spotty, I should say "hit or miss."

My main point here is that I recall an article where "pretty much every player and coach" said that Jordyn Tyson was the best newcomer, and I expected that would have translated to a position on the two deep. Hopefully, like Yak said, this means that WR is extremely deep.
The things I've heard on Tyson are that he's smooth and has fantastic hands, but that he needs to physically mature. He's probably a year away and the upside is super high.

The things I've heard on Tyson are that he's smooth and has fantastic hands, but that he needs to physically mature. He's probably a year away and the upside is super high.
Jack Hestera’s (walk on) name also seems to be coming up a lot from players and coaches when talking about who is making plays.

I don't doubt we have talent at WR, but are we THAT deep or is the secondary pretty shaky?

that-was-a-rhetorical-question-sarcastic.gif

I don't doubt we have talent at WR, but are we THAT deep or is the secondary pretty shaky?
I think we've got an average P5 WR room with upside.

I think we've got a significantly below average CB/S room with upside, but less depth - particularly since these are more technique dependent positions which take some development time.

Dude was a baller here in HS. Dipped to Texas to keep playing during Covid. He knew he was better than the offers he was getting. We're lucky we landed him. He's better than Penry and Robinson TBH.
Whoa, just watched some tape, he's got some hands on him. Looks a bit like Spruce.

Dude was a baller here in HS. Dipped to Texas to keep playing during Covid. He knew he was better than the offers he was getting. We're lucky we landed him. He's better than Penry and Robinson TBH.
Looking up his stats from his one TX HS season and he balled out there, too. Seemingly one of the top players on the 5A state championship runner up. Both his dad and uncle were CU players back in the glory days, his uncle seemingly pretty good. I'm wondering if they'll have to put him on scholarship sooner rather than later.

I'm more talking about the coaches willingness to put young guys in the position to make plays, not necessarily whether the plays they made were against middling competition. If you're making plays in college as a true freshman, you can play, I don't really care who they are going up against on the other side (assuming it's still a D1 player)

Both Brian and Adam have mentioned that Tyson is extremely skilled but still very slight and will need a year for growth. I don't remember anyone saying he was going to start right away.

Also, Sneed will play and play a lot. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the best WR at the end of the year (unless Arias blows up). He is still working his way back from a foot injury, so I wouldn't look too much into that.

I'm choosing to go with a "glass half full" thinking about walk-ons. It seems to me that the coaches have done their due diligence and gotten guys with actual potential. If guys like Hestera and Offerdahl end up earning PT, that's a big help.

And maybe NIL is an opportunity, if CU can get its act together, which makes it possible to attract some of the D2 & FCS talent since their deals at CU would be just as good or better with a chance to play P5 football at a flagship.

Some good things could come of this.

I'm choosing to go with a "glass half full" thinking about walk-ons. It seems to me that the coaches have done their due diligence and gotten guys with actual potential. If guys like Hestera and Offerdahl end up earning PT, that's a big help.

And maybe NIL is an opportunity, if CU can get its act together, which makes it possible to attract some of the D2 & FCS talent since their deals at CU would be just as good or better with a chance to play P5 football at a flagship.

Some good things could come of this.
Agreed, but if they actually prove to be solid players, they'll need to be given scholarships, otherwise, it's not going to take mid 5 figure NIL money for other P5 programs to grab them.

Ashton Logan dismissed. Suppose when you're a punter and you get wally pipped by a walk on, any violation of team rules will do to free up that scholly. Not complaining either, it's a level of ruthlessness that this program needs.
From the video, it sounds like KD was actually the one that dismissed him as it was last week. Just in case you were thinking that Sanford is being ruthless when he didn't dismiss Logan.

From the video, it sounds like KD was actually the one that dismissed him as it was last week. Just in case you were thinking that Sanford is being ruthless when he didn't dismiss Logan.
I did see that they said "last week" in the article after the OP. That does make the think more that he actually ****ed up if Dorrell let him go. I'd be shocked if Dorrell actually came to Jesus in the days before he was fired and learned legit roster management.

With Lewis entering the portal, we're now at 81 scholarship players. We've got 16 seniors, so that's 20 open roster spots we know about.

That number should climb to over 30, considering normal attrition and the normal increase to that after a coaching change.

One positive for us is that our roster balance fits with the CU transfer policy restrictions this year to get back to normal class balance. Our light class is the juniors with 9. We can pump that up with grad transfers for 2023 while still bringing in a full freshman class.

With Lewis entering the portal, we're now at 81 scholarship players. We've got 16 seniors, so that's 20 open roster spots we know about.

That number should climb to over 30, considering normal attrition and the normal increase to that after a coaching change.

One positive for us is that our roster balance fits with the CU transfer policy restrictions this year to get back to normal class balance. Our light class is the juniors with 9. We can pump that up with grad transfers for 2023 while still bringing in a full freshman class.
Assuming it’s going to take another year for transfer issues to clear up, taking around 6-8 grad transfers, or even more is a necessity.

There are probably 15-20 guys on the roster I would consider bad attrition. The rest is good or indifferent, IMO
Also, Amaya is an example of why recruiting outside the footprint is probably not a great idea for CU - particularly in these new transfer portal realities. A player from Alabama is more likely to get homesick and frustrated, especially if he's not seeing the field as an underclassman.

As I'd posted in another thread with CU's location in the center of the "5 Star Desert", we need to geo-target the closer areas. Not only does that get us focused on talent-rich recruiting grounds but it also leads to players having more in common with other players on the team (which should help homesickness & attrition). Our attrition rate with signees from outside the footprint seems really bad over the years.

Back