What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

The Assistant Coach numbers haven't been updated on USA Today's site, but Joe Moorehead at Oregon made $841k last year to give an idea.

$750k would be the highest paid AC on every Pac 12 staff except Oregon, Utah, Washington and likely USC and Stanford, although, those numbers aren't public.

Do we think any OC would take this job with the expectation that KD will be canned in a year or two and they would be a front runner for the job? The best programs seem to promote from within.

I don't think so. +/- $750k can get a very qualified OC.
Even with that salary I still think they'll want to be confident that they'll be here for at least 2 and preferably 3 years.

KD's current performance and trajectory wouldn't instill that sort of confidence absent the AD actually extending KD's contract.

My current expectation given PD, RG & LC's history is that they'll give a lackluster candidate that type of money, they'll guarantee it, *and* they'll extend KD at the same time.

Even with that salary I still think they'll want to be confident that they'll be here for at least 2 and preferably 3 years.

KD's current performance and trajectory wouldn't instill that sort of confidence absent the AD actually extending KD's contract.

My current expectation given PD, RG & LC's history is that they'll give a lackluster candidate that type of money, they'll guarantee it, *and* they'll extend KD at the same time.
I mean, KD has 3 years left on his contract, and most believe CU won't buy him out until mid to late 2023 season, so that would give the new OC two years, which is pretty standard.

I think you're being a bit dramatic to suggest they would give KD an extension to his 5 year deal after only two seasons, one of which was a disaster and likely 2-10 season.

Based on KD's contract structure and when the increased budget from the new Pac-12 media happens, my expectation is that 2023 will be the make/break season for KD. No reason not to offer an OC a long-term deal.

I mean, KD has 3 years left on his contract, and most believe CU won't buy him out until mid to late 2023 season, so that would give the new OC two years, which is pretty standard.

I think you're being a bit dramatic to suggest they would give KD an extension to his 5 year deal after only two seasons, one of which was a disaster and likely 2-10 season.
It would also be a bit "dramatic" to, I don't know, give the biggest contact in school history to a failed college HC, failed college OC and journeyman NFL receivers coach, but here we are.

It really is hard to underestimate the personnel management skills of the current CU administration.

I mean, you say "they would never be so incompetent as to hire a DIII position coach to be a critical AC," but then RG says "hold my beer."

It would also be a bit "dramatic" to, I don't know, give the biggest contact in school history to a failed college HC, failed college OC and journeyman NFL receivers coach, but here we are.

It really is hard to underestimate the personnel management skills of the current CU administration.

I mean, you say "they would never be so incompetent as to hire a DIII position coach to be a critical AC," but then RG says "hold my beer."
I'm just saying that even the best coaches in the country aren't getting an extension 2 years into a 5 year deal, let alone a coach who is coming off a 2-10 type of year.

I'm just saying that even the best coaches in the country aren't getting an extension 2 years into a 5 year deal, let alone a coach who is coming off a 2-10 type of year.
I'm just saying that the competency of other schools in managing their football coaches' contracts is completely irrelevant when you're discussing a school that has repeatedly demonstrated the opposite.

Anyone that can call the same offense ran by Kingsberry Arizona Cardinis with some west coast Play actin pas es and jet sweeps

Given that Chev and Dorrell don't understand that we have a dual threat QB and not a pocket passer, there is no hope for them.
I was so excited to finally have a dual threat attack and they've done everything possible to prevent that from being realized.
It's awful to see wasted talent on this team. Maybe LaVontae provides a spark to this pocket passing regime.

Given that Chev and Dorrell don't understand that we have a dual threat QB and not a pocket passer, there is no hope for them.
I was so excited to finally have a dual threat attack and they've done everything possible to prevent that from being realized.
It's awful to see wasted talent on this team. Maybe LaVontae provides a spark to this pocket passing regime.
If his history teaches us anything, HCKD actually believes his offense works. Despite its moribund results at UCLA, and its disastrous results at Vandy and CU, deep in his heart, he knows it works.

If his history teaches us anything, HCKD actually believes his offense works. Despite its moribund results at UCLA, and its disastrous results at Vandy and CU, deep in his heart, he knows it works.

Coaches always believe "Plays work, players don't." So I'm sure I'm sure he thinks if his players would just execute better, he would be an offensive genius.

A run first offense fits the history/culture of the school, the altitude, the late season weather, and the current talent on the roster. That kind of offense makes even mediocre QBs look good and it helps your defense by chewing up clock.

That kind of offense is a win, win, win for a rebuilding program.

Unless you land a top flight Dual threat QB and want to go RPO, run the damn ball.
This is good. Like x1,000

I don't know much about Ruggiero so I looked him up- he's been at a few different stops, but he's been with Clawson at Wake Forest since 2014. He came over from Bowling Green with Clawson, where they'd been together since 2009. Here are the offensive rankings of WF since that time in terms of scoring offense and total offense:

• 2014 (out of 128): 126th Scoring/128th Total
  • 2015: 121st and 117th
  • 2016: 116th and 124th
  • 2017 (out of 130): 16th and 20th
  • 2018: 34th and 29th
  • 2019 45th and 19th
  • 2020: 35th and 37th
  • 2021: 4th and 11th
Interestingly, Ruggiero's time at Bowling Green showed a similar pattern- very, very poor offenses the first few years (down in the 90s-100s) and then a massive leap in 2013 into the 30s.

So- one concern I'd have: why does it take his offense so long to get going?
Another: Clawson is a former OC- how much of WF's offense is from Clawson vs. Ruggiero?

Additionally, Wake Forest is private, so I don't have any salary numbers for Ruggiero. Would CU be able to offer him enough for a lateral move away from a stable situation? Also would have to overcome his loyalty to Clawson, under whom he has worked for more than a decade.

I'd like to see CU get really creative- back in 2009, Oregon hired Chip Kelly from Division II New Hampshire. Kelly was a massive, massive risk but it paid off. If CU is going to be stuck with KD, why not do something really risky? The worst that happens is that it doesn't work- but it literally cannot be worse than this year's offense.

Who is the next Chip Kelly?

I don't know much about Ruggiero so I looked him up- he's been at a few different stops, but he's been with Clawson at Wake Forest since 2014. He came over from Bowling Green with Clawson, where they'd been together since 2009. Here are the offensive rankings of WF since that time in terms of scoring offense and total offense:

• 2014 (out of 128): 126th Scoring/128th Total
  • 2015: 121st and 117th
  • 2016: 116th and 124th
  • 2017 (out of 130): 16th and 20th
  • 2018: 34th and 29th
  • 2019 45th and 19th
  • 2020: 35th and 37th
  • 2021: 4th and 11th
Interestingly, Ruggiero's time at Bowling Green showed a similar pattern- very, very poor offenses the first few years (down in the 90s-100s) and then a massive leap in 2013 into the 30s.

So- one concern I'd have: why does it take his offense so long to get going?
Another: Clawson is a former OC- how much of WF's offense is from Clawson vs. Ruggiero?

Additionally, Wake Forest is private, so I don't have any salary numbers for Ruggiero. Would CU be able to offer him enough for a lateral move away from a stable situation? Also would have to overcome his loyalty to Clawson, under whom he has worked for more than a decade.

I'd like to see CU get really creative- back in 2009, Oregon hired Chip Kelly from Division II New Hampshire. Kelly was a massive, massive risk but it paid off. If CU is going to be stuck with KD, why not do something really risky? The worst that happens is that it doesn't work- but it literally cannot be worse than this year's offense.

Who is the next Chip Kelly?
Riskier than hiring a high school OL coach?

Every hire is risky. When people say risky they only really want the risky that works out.

Back