What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

I don't know much about Ruggiero so I looked him up- he's been at a few different stops, but he's been with Clawson at Wake Forest since 2014. He came over from Bowling Green with Clawson, where they'd been together since 2009. Here are the offensive rankings of WF since that time in terms of scoring offense and total offense:

• 2014 (out of 128): 126th Scoring/128th Total
  • 2015: 121st and 117th
  • 2016: 116th and 124th
  • 2017 (out of 130): 16th and 20th
  • 2018: 34th and 29th
  • 2019 45th and 19th
  • 2020: 35th and 37th
  • 2021: 4th and 11th
Interestingly, Ruggiero's time at Bowling Green showed a similar pattern- very, very poor offenses the first few years (down in the 90s-100s) and then a massive leap in 2013 into the 30s.

So- one concern I'd have: why does it take his offense so long to get going?
Another: Clawson is a former OC- how much of WF's offense is from Clawson vs. Ruggiero?

Additionally, Wake Forest is private, so I don't have any salary numbers for Ruggiero. Would CU be able to offer him enough for a lateral move away from a stable situation? Also would have to overcome his loyalty to Clawson, under whom he has worked for more than a decade.

I'd like to see CU get really creative- back in 2009, Oregon hired Chip Kelly from Division II New Hampshire. Kelly was a massive, massive risk but it paid off. If CU is going to be stuck with KD, why not do something really risky? The worst that happens is that it doesn't work- but it literally cannot be worse than this year's offense.

Who is the next Chip Kelly?
I like it. Can't lose much more. Get someone who'd stand up to Dorrell like Kiffin did to Saban. Someone to really bother and piss off HCKD on the sidelines and then give HCKD a look reminding him that it's fun to win again.

Riskier than hiring a high school OL coach?

Every hire is risky. When people say risky they only really want the risky that works out.
Hiring Rod wasn't risky, it was stupid. It should have been obvious that he just didn't have the knowledge to coach at this level

Chip Kelly clearly knew what he was doing with an offense when he was hired at Oregon, the risk was really in whether or not his scheme and philosophy would translate to a league with far superior coaches and athletes, along with whether he would be able to recruit at the level necessary for it to succeed.

Hiring Rod wasn't risky, it was stupid. It should have been obvious that he just didn't have the knowledge to coach at this level

Chip Kelly clearly knew what he was doing with an offense when he was hired at Oregon, the risk was really in whether or not his scheme and philosophy would translate to a league with far superior coaches and athletes, along with whether he would be able to recruit at the level necessary for it to succeed.
I agree with you but it’s always with hindsight. Yes, Rod was a stupid hire and it was pretty obvious but we know that based on the results. Had Kelly flamed out at Oregon, people would have called it a stupid hire and said that it was obvious that his offense wouldn’t translate.

K, cool. So over/under on how many times over the next decade the CU athletic dept piss down their own legs and shoot themselves in the dick is set at what? Anyone?

I agree with you but it’s always with hindsight. Yes, Rod was a stupid hire and it was pretty obvious but we know that based on the results. Had Kelly flamed out at Oregon, people would have called it a stupid hire and said that it was obvious that his offense wouldn’t translate.
Eh, we knew that based on how he talked and his past experience. It wasn't hindsight.

I’m starting to think we should just go full blown all in Air Raid. I know that is not CU historically but it’s become painfully clear to me we are not going to be able to recruit and sustain running even a spread with pro set concepts.

I’m hoping for a Mike Leach tree full Air Raid OC and assistants. F it.

I’m starting to think we should just go full blown all in Air Raid. I know that is not CU historically but it’s become painfully clear to me we are not going to be able to recruit and sustain running even a spread with pro set concepts.

I’m hoping for a Mike Leach tree full Air Raid OC and assistants. F it.
I'm pretty sure Mangino's available.

Lance Carl liked this tweet, so that has to mean something. Right? Right?

Im Horny GIF

I fully expect him to go through the Nick Saban coaching rehabilitation program, but would CU fans stomach the idea of Scott Frost as OC? Maybe too much hate there, but actually lots to like as an OC.

Otherwise, Chip Long is probably my favorite of those I’ve seen so far.

Beyond hate for all things Nebraska, why no? Or is that hate enough in itself?

-Successful OC at top PAC program
-Developed a Heisman winning QB in Mariota
-Took 0-12 UCF to 13-0 in 2 years
-Was the playcaller at UCF despite Walters as OC
-Developed unheralded Milton into stud QB
-Very good recruiter as an assistant coach
-Offense really hasn’t been the problem at Nebraska - I think they’re currently 2nd in the BIG in total offense despite how lousy the season has been.

He’s not a prefect candidate - anyone who takes this job will have warts. I wouldn’t want him as a HC at all, but as an OC I think we could do a lot worse.

Beyond hate for all things ****braska, why no? Or is that hate enough in itself?

-Offense really hasn’t been the problem at ****braska - I think they’re currently 2nd in the BIG in total offense despite how lousy the season has been.

He’s not a prefect candidate - anyone who takes this job will have warts. I wouldn’t want him as a HC at all, but as an OC I think we could do a lot worse.

he’s a complete toxic dickhead if he doesn’t get his way. With all the stuff that some of these players have gone through, going back to 2018…last thing they need is a jaded Chiv on steroids as an OC. They only thing that might make things enticing, is that he’ll have a payday from kNU that might make contract negotiations for RG simplified….though I’m sure (soon-to-be ex…probably) Mrs. Frost would love Boulder more so than Stincoln…

Beyond hate for all things ****braska, why no? Or is that hate enough in itself?

-Offense really hasn’t been the problem at ****braska - I think they’re currently 2nd in the BIG in total offense despite how lousy the season has been.

That’s all fair. I do wonder how much of an offensive genius he is when he can’t get a plus athlete like Martinez to succeed and he ran off his top offensive skill talent (Wandale and McCaffrey). I would be curious to know how much impact he had on Marriota. That kid was special.

he’s a complete toxic dickhead if he doesn’t get his way. With all the stuff that some of these players have gone through, going back to 2018…last thing they need is a jaded Chiv on steroids as an OC. They only thing that might make things enticing, is that he’ll have a payday from kNU that might make contract negotiations for RG simplified….though I’m sure (soon-to-be ex…probably) Mrs. Frost would love Boulder more so than Stincoln…
Meh, most coaches are dickheads. The best season in recent memory was when CU hired a prickly dickhead to run the defense. It’s not a long term solution, but a little fire being lit on the staff wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

That’s all fair. I do wonder how much of an offensive genius he is when he can’t get a plus athlete like Martinez to succeed and he ran off his top offensive skill talent (Wandale and McCaffrey). I would be curious to know how much impact he had on Marriota. That kid was special.
I’m not sure - maybe the burden of the unrealistic expectations as HC of your alma mater is just wearing on him and he might thrive getting back to what he did well that got him the job in the first place where he doesn’t carry the weight of the entire program on his shoulders? Or maybe he is overrated in general. I still expect him to take a year or so as an analyst somewhere, but he seems like a guy who will get looks at a lot of other programs again sooner than later.

I’m not sure - maybe removing the burden of the unrealistic expectations as HC of your alma mater is just wearing on him and he might thrive getting back to what he did well that got him the job in the first place where he doesn’t carry the weight of the entire program on his shoulders? Or maybe he is overrated in general. I still expect him to take a year or so as an analyst somewhere, but he seems like a guy who will get looks at a lot of other programs again sooner than later.
I agree that he’ll have opportunities if he wants them. He’ll also have a big pile of cash to sleep on if he chooses to do that (or, half of that if his wife leaves him).

Is he better than what we’ve got? Yes, pretty much anyone would be. Could we get someone equally as good without the player scapegoating and toxic personality? Absolutely
I just want a good offense, personality is pretty unimportant to me as a fan. Did he scapegoat players at Oregon or UCF, or just when he was the one answering questions as HC of a struggling program? Those questions will go to Dorrell, not the OC here.

I just want a good offense, personality is pretty unimportant to me as a fan.
I am not opposed to that, although he’ll have plenty of options and doubt he would even consider it here, although we do play Nebraska a couple times coming up and maybe he’d want to come here for that chance? I actually see him going to UCLA to be with Chip Kelly again.

Back