What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Yeah, I see a lot of people attributing the team's offensive struggles to the WCO like it just is outdated and cannot work...

A lot of NFL teams run some variations of the WCO, the system is fine and can be effective in modern football... but you still need a competent offensive line. You still need to confuse the defense. You still need to call a good game.

I don't care if they run the Wishbone next year, as long as they run it well.
Ehhh. It can be effective in modern NFL football. I don't believe it can be effectively implemented in college because of the time limits athletes have. It's a very complicated scheme in general and when you add that to the fact that the offensive line is truly horrendous, that combo gives us what we see on Saturdays. Doesn't help that we have flat bill bob with his **** innovation and play calling/adjustments either.

As for the wishbone, I know you're mostly joking but that's about the only scheme I wouldn't want here because it pushes away a lot of good athletes that don't want to run an option offense.

What if he just promotes Landsdorf?

k0jPoN6.gif

Since ROD is gone…get Kap back here, with the intention to have him as an OC next year…and save the line too. IIRC, he had some OC experience?

Yeah, I see a lot of people attributing the team's offensive struggles to the WCO like it just is outdated and cannot work...

A lot of NFL teams run some variations of the WCO, the system is fine and can be effective in modern football... but you still need a competent offensive line. You still need to confuse the defense. You still need to call a good game.

I don't care if they run the Wishbone next year, as long as they run it well.
NFL teams that run the WCO have linemen who know the techniques for blocking the WCO. We don't have linemen with sufficient skill or talent to do it. NFL teams also have QBs who spend huge amounts of time studying the reads and preparing for the variations. Receivers likewise have to be able to read and make decisions at the line and sometimes as the play develops.

NFL teams also have guys for 10+ hours a day in season and significant time out of season, colleges are limited to 20 hours per week (routinely violated but they are far from the full time professionals that the pro players are.

There is a reason why college teams don't run the WCO. It simply takes much more time and training than college teams are allowed to do.

These days virtually every successful college offense involves at least some version of the RPO. One of the huge advantages of the RPO is that it forces defenders to make the read and the decision.

For the QB is simplifies the reads down to fairly basic ones and normally the receiver is simply running his pattern. Much much easier for all involved.

This is part of the problem that can happen when you bring a guy who has spend the bulk of his career in the pros to a college program. KD has a young QB who was available to us because he was known to be a guy who was athletic but would need a lot of development. What does KD do? He throws a system at him that is hard for some pro QBs to understand and we wonder why he looks overwhelmed and freezes up.

You think we have any dna left? That’s just us 35 year olds who think that anymore
Maybe not. But what has been successful in our region (mountain, big sky & great plains) part of the country?

Also, I think it's an advantage in the Pac-12 if we recruit massive OLs who know how to go forward & we use them that way. I believe we can get those guys.

Maybe not. But what has been successful in our region (mountain, big sky & great plains) part of the country?

Also, I think it's an advantage in the Pac-12 if we recruit massive OLs who know how to go forward & we use them that way. I believe we can get those guys.
I would kill to have MINN offensive line and philosophy. Not that they’re world beaters but when they want to, they impose their will on teams.

Exactly. We're never going to "out Pac-12" teams like Oregon. A punishing running game should always be our identity.

I agree mostly but just don’t think there’s any connection between CU and power running is so far in the past that it’s irrelevant. I do look at Oregon State as the offense I wish we had. Well coached, leans heavily towards run but can open it up.

My guy is Chip Long, I'd like he'd do well here.

I would love Ryan Grubb if we can grab him.

There's going to be a lot of coaches open with plenty of openings at the end of the year. Honestly, Jay Johnson may be available again. Zak Hill may be available. Do we want Willie Fritz? Phillip Montgomery? Mike Bloomgren?

My guy is Chip Long, I'd like he'd do well here.

I would love Ryan Grubb if we can grab him.

There's going to be a lot of coaches open with plenty of openings at the end of the year. Honestly, Jay Johnson may be available again. Zak Hill may be available. Do we want Willie Fritz? Phillip Montgomery? Mike Bloomgren?
Be hard to beat Chip Long

Yeah Hawg’s post made me open my eyes to the reality. This wish list of guys is just that. A wish list. KD doesn’t have ANY good connections save Chris Wilson when he got him here. Otherwise, the staff assembled us all he could get. Biggest staff budget in CU history but you can’t pay people that you don’t have the credibility/connection to hire.

IF Chev is fired, he’s certainly childish enough to spread it around the coaching mill that KD makes you run his **** offense and there’s no autonomy granted.

Hope he proves me wrong. Won’t let myself get my hopes up until the track record changes.

You guys, Chev still has SCOOOOOOP on AD small feet and LC, doesn’t he? Doesn’t he also have a year left on his contract? Doesn’t he still have a massive ego that will melt down if they even broach how bad he’s been? The collective optimism here is heartening.

NFL teams that run the WCO have linemen who know the techniques for blocking the WCO. We don't have linemen with sufficient skill or talent to do it. NFL teams also have QBs who spend huge amounts of time studying the reads and preparing for the variations. Receivers likewise have to be able to read and make decisions at the line and sometimes as the play develops.

NFL teams also have guys for 10+ hours a day in season and significant time out of season, colleges are limited to 20 hours per week (routinely violated but they are far from the full time professionals that the pro players are.

There is a reason why college teams don't run the WCO. It simply takes much more time and training than college teams are allowed to do.

These days virtually every successful college offense involves at least some version of the RPO. One of the huge advantages of the RPO is that it forces defenders to make the read and the decision.

For the QB is simplifies the reads down to fairly basic ones and normally the receiver is simply running his pattern. Much much easier for all involved.

This is part of the problem that can happen when you bring a guy who has spend the bulk of his career in the pros to a college program. KD has a young QB who was available to us because he was known to be a guy who was athletic but would need a lot of development. What does KD do? He throws a system at him that is hard for some pro QBs to understand and we wonder why he looks overwhelmed and freezes up.
Is that what we are officially running - the WCO? I honestly can’t tell

I think we almost have to root for the offense to remain ****ty if we actually want this thread to mean anything. If the OL turns it around at all and the offense starts to click a bit more over the last 5 games, I think they'll keep Chev and use Rod as the (only) scapegoat

I think we almost have to root for the offense to remain ****ty if we actually want this thread to mean anything. If the OL turns it around at all and the offense starts to click a bit more over the last 5 games, I think they'll keep Chev and use Rod as the (only) scapegoat
I don't see any way it improves much. The defenses we're facing the rest of the way are good. It's also time for the annual late season offensive collapse that CU has patented.

Back