What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Love how these coach bios come out when they get hired bragging about that 1 or 2 players they coached did well one season.
yep, the coaching did it

We upgraded at every coaching position. The new ACs aren’t the reason anyone is leaving
I'm not a fan of the Sanford hire, although he is obviously an upgrade from Chev. The rest, by and large, I've been pleased with personally.

I'm curious about the WR exodus. It can't be because of the WR hire - he has real credentials. It has to be either NIL, Sanford, or some combination of both.

I'm not a fan of the Sanford hire, although he is obviously an upgrade from Chev. The rest, by and large, I've been pleased with personally.

I'm curious about the WR exodus. It can't be because of the WR hire - he has real credentials. It has to be either NIL, Sanford, or some combination of both.
I would guess it's more that they just aren't getting the ball. These guys want to play at the next level, no reason to think our offense will feed them.

I would guess it's more that they just aren't getting the ball. These guys want to play at the next level, no reason to think our offense will feed them.
Exactly. When you can’t get first downs you don’t get many chances to get these guys touches.

We finally have a good offensive coach. They will not have too many great players, especially up front.
I assume you mean O line, and not OC. I believe the OC is an upgrade but that bar was not set very high. O line likes to run block so maybe if we can get these young guys all moving forward with the same goal, we wont be too terrible.

I assume you mean O line, and not OC. I believe the OC is an upgrade but that bar was not set very high. O line likes to run block so maybe if we can get these young guys all moving forward with the same goal, we wont be too terrible.
No, I mean the new WR coach is the only good offensive coach. The OL coach is meh who seems to be a more competent version of the tired offensive scheme. The OC took one guy who was a top 10 pick (Jordan Love) and made him a borderline first rounder (not to mention the evils he did to Tanner Morgan).

No, I mean the new WR coach is the only good offensive coach. The OL coach is meh who seems to be a more competent version of the tired offensive scheme. The OC took one guy who was a top 10 pick (Jordan Love) and made him a borderline first rounder (not to mention the evils he did to Tanner Morgan).
Got it. I dont think this group of new coaches is elite, by any stretch, but they are an upgrade. Like I said low bar.

McGeoghan is on an offer blitz at the moment. He's offered 4 different 4/5 Star WR's that have posted on twitter in the last hour. If he can convert even one of these guys, it'll be impresive.
This is the best all around staff CU football has had in years. I'm very curious to find out what the budget was increased to because we certainly aren't going cheap with anyone (ie there are no Brian Cooks on staff).

This is the best all around staff CU football has had in years. I'm very curious to find out what the budget was increased to because we certainly aren't going cheap with anyone (ie there are no Brian Cooks on staff).
Yeah, something obviously changed somewhere. I am starting to wonder if the loan RG took out was part of this or at least was earmarked for this? If so, that money won't be around forever, but would at least show some forward thinking on his part.

McGeoghan is on an offer blitz at the moment. He's offered 4 different 4/5 Star WR's that have posted on twitter in the last hour. If he can convert even one of these guys, it'll be impresive.
Florida, NC, Tenn, GA, and LA. Quickly returned to his SE recruiting ground, let's hope he can still produce.

Yeah, something obviously changed somewhere. I am starting to wonder if the loan RG took out was part of this or at least was earmarked for this? If so, that money won't be around forever, but would at least show some forward thinking on his part.
I can’t imagine they are increasing staff budget with the mindset that budget will be lowered in a few years. Maybe Karl took a pay cut in order to help fund the staff.

I couldn't find where we had a thread dedicated to McGeoghan as our new WR Coach, so I'm posting here.

I'm a bit of a sucker for this stuff and a total sap at heart, so seeing the below tweet made me happy. Couple that with the Hard Knocks vid of him addressing the Chargers WR room and I'm all in with this guy.

It still makes me mad and I'm not even a real Minnesota fan (ASU). Rarely do us "also ran" type teams have what UMN had going for it, so when one blows it, it kinda sucks. Minnesota's offense wasn't "Bad". They were actually pretty alright at a glance. Ball control, converted third downs, etc. The problem is that for a team that probably recruits on a similar level to Colorado, or at least is decidedly not pulling an abundance of 4 and 5 star types, the Gophers were LOADED. QB? Threw for 3k, 30 TDs at a better than 4 to 1 TD to Int rate before he got there and rough since. Running back? Mo ****ing Ibrahim, who prior to his Achilles blowing up was in the argument for best RB in the country (and was an established star prior to Sanford). Also a deep room of backups. OL? Arguably the best in the country, unarguably top 5. Several NFL players, I think 3 with 40+ starts. It might have been the biggest and most experienced offensive line in college football history with the COVID year. TE's? Kieft was one of the best blocking TE's in football and Spann-Ford is an exceptional athlete for his size that didn't get used. WRs? Two good ones who spent some time hurt, so that's sort of an excuse for his "passing is evil" frame of mind, but still. UMN wasn't bad off there.

Then they had a top 5-10ish defense where Nyles Pinckney, former Clemson captain, All ACC and National Championship winning DT, was the 3rd best DL on the team (the other 2 were Senior Bowl invites).

For a lower to mid echelon recruiting P5 team, Minnesota had the goods. It was the sort of experience and talent level most programs are building towards. It would have been the exclamation point on their top 10 2019 season. And they blew two games against awful teams while giving up only 14 points a piece. They were probably better than Iowa too. The problems were almost exclusively on a predictable offense that could be be terrific but just wouldn't punish people for loading up. Minnesota should have gone 10-2 or 11-1 in the regular season, and the reasons they didn't all point to Sanford just not being very good.

Even if Colorado does go out and develop a whole bunch of NFL caliber talent, he'll still find a way to **** it up. But hey, maybe he's learning and will get better, or something. So I guess there's that.

edited: I undeleted it since it was quoted. Originally just didn't want to fill your forum up with an anti Sanford text wall but since the cat's out of the bag...

Last edited:
Back