What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

No, that doesn't make sense to me.

Just taking Sark for example, the amount of money that RG was committing made any savings for promoting Chev back to OC seem pretty small to me. Plus, Sark didn't need to hire a $1M OC to take notes for him. He's the OC. But I do know first hand, that RG was telling big donors that money was not the problem and we were going to aim high.

By hiring KD (in what can only be described as a Lance Carl supported panic move), they hired a head coach who had ZERO current college coaching contacts. There was value in trying to keep the basic systems in place that Mel had underway, given that Spring ball was mere weeks away. And KD simply didn't have anyone lined up.

Yes, I can imagine that Rick/Lance were promoting Chev heavily, but it makes no sense to me that they were mandating that a condition for hiring someone like Sark (or really any other solid Head Coaching candidates who possessed a post 2005 rolodex).
On that, we agree. It makes no sense. And that, along with another decade+ of these moves is why Phil has been an unmitigated disaster.

Football people, whether at the AD or HC level, would not make the CU decisions. These are decisions made by meddling, clueless politicians. It's the only thing that explains it.

Yep. I'm pretty sure but don't know 100% on the Chev as OC aspect at the time KDwas hired.

We do know that something was worked out with Chev when MT left for Chev to stay despite not him not going to be named HC.

There's a chance that wasn't a long-term deal as OC regardless of who got hired as HC.

But doesn't it seem to you that it fits that Sark, EB and other HC options turned us down because they were told that the coordinators they'd have were already under contract and only a guy like KD (who wasn't even having his agent apply & hadn't built a staffing plan) would accept the job under those terms?
Sark didn't turn us down. He accepted in principle and later was dissuaded from taking the job.

At the time of the last HC hire, it was generally thought that it should be a priority to keep the recruiting class together. A hire like Sark likely keeps the entire class together and at that point, he would have been allowed to pick his whole staff. Chiv would have been shown the door.

EB did turn us down, but if he were hired it's likely the same scenario where he has enough cachet that keeping the recruiting class together would have been highly likely without having to keep Chiv on the staff.

When nether option materialized and Karl Dorrell emerged as a candidate, the entire recruiting class became a big question mark. To keep the class together Summers and Chiv were essentially dictated to Dorrell as crucial to maintaining the recruiting class.

In hindsight, that recruiting class all left anyway and we had a crap offense with Chiv, and still have a ton of questions about whether or not KD can do this job.

Last edited:
Sark didn't turn us down. He accepted in principle and later was dissuaded from taking the job.

At the time of the last HC hire, it was generally thought that it should be a priority to keep the recruiting class together. A hire like Sark likely keeps the entire class together and at that point he would have been allowed to pick his whole staff. Chiv would have been shown there door.

EB did turn us down, but if he were hired it's likely the same scenario where he has enough cachet that keeping the recruiting class together would have been highly likely without having to keep Chiv on the staff.

When nether option materialized and Karl Dorrell emerged as a candidate, the entire recruiting class became a big question mark. To keep the class together Summers and Chiv were essentially dictated to Dorrell as crucial to maintaining the recruiting class.

In hindsight, that recruiting class all left anyway and we had a crap offense with Chiv, and still have a ton of questions about whether or not KD can do this job.
So, basically the worst possible outcome.

At the time of the last HC hire, it was generally thought that it should be a priority to keep the recruiting class together. A hire like Sark likely keeps the entire class together and at that point he would have been allowed to pick his whole staff. Chiv would have been shown there door.

I’m not following the “keep or not able to keep“ the recruiting class together.

Tucker resigned 6 days after the February signing day.

I only put this here because there was once the time he lobbied in public for a job on staff. But my goodness, he’s been on yet another rant about one of his PAYING customers again. He’s becoming an embarrassment to the program, IMO

Complaining on Twitter because your clients call in sick?

I think he's embarrassing himself though, not CU

For offensive/defensive linemen, this is a more sane alternative, especially for north metro, BoCo, Weld Co, and Larimer Co kids. Owners are Longmont area kids who played at Wyoming.

They know what they are doing. Both were very good players at Wyoming and Strong had Nub and CU offers. He attended a Nub camp and they offered on the spot as a lineman, even though he played LB and FB in high school. Hawkins found out and offered him on LOI signing day, LOL.
He was also a very good 3rd baseman with lefty bat - might have had a higher ceiling but he loved football.

Fun fact, Tyler Strong holds most of the power lifting records at Niwot High school, eclipsing.... Matt McChesney's Niwot HS records.

And I'll add that there's plenty of high school coaches interested in sending their kids up north for reasons that have nothing to do with geo-location.....

For offensive/defensive linemen, this is a more sane alternative, especially for north metro, BoCo, Weld Co, and Larimer Co kids. Owners are Longmont area kids who played at Wyoming.

They know what they are doing. Both were very good players at Wyoming and Strong had Nub and CU offers. He attended a Nub camp and they offered on the spot as a lineman, even though he played LB and FB in high school. Hawkins found out and offered him on LOI signing day, LOL.
He was also a very good 3rd baseman with lefty bat - might have had a higher ceiling but he loved football.

Fun fact, Tyler Strong holds most of the power lifting records at Niwot High school, eclipsing.... Matt McChesney's Niwot HS records.

And I'll add that there's plenty of high school coaches interested in sending their kids up north for reasons that have nothing to do with geo-location.....
Appreciate you posting this. TStrong is a very good friend. You can’t go wrong with these two. Dedicated, intense and two of the nicest dudes ever. I can personally attest to the fact that Tyler in his prime was one of the strongest dudes I’ve ever seen.

Does he have a son we can put on the payroll? Then the O could be Sanford and Son. [insert junkyard joke]
He IS the son. His dad was coach at UNLV and also Indiana state. He actually hired his dad, and half his D3 buddies while at WKU. I would not wish boy blunder on anyone. I see you too have been victimized by this guys BS. I’m seeing 3 games and 13 points, 10 points, 7 points. Our message board is taking bets on the chances of 3 points and then 0 in next two.
He must interview like a rock star … or pictures of ever AD I. The country. Sorry guys.

Back