What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Do you have a wine mixer you have to go to ?
Weighing Options I Mean No GIF

I’ll allow Vanderbilt, Rice, and Tulane as being Stanford-like if you squint. None of the others are AAU-it’s not clear **** Baylor even believes in science.
Oh good grief. In my 7 years at Stanford and Berkeley, I never heard anyone say anything but very good things about a Baylor undergrad education. So to hear this BS so often from a university that ranks lower than Baylor in the most-cited and most-used academic rankings is ridiculous.

Oh good grief. In my 7 years at Stanford and Berkeley, I never heard anyone say anything but very good things about a Baylor undergrad education. So to hear this BS so often from a university that ranks lower than Baylor in the most-cited and most-used academic rankings is ridiculous.
Which course did these Baylor students enjoy more? The required Christian Scriptures course, or the required Christian Heritage course? No wait, it’s the two semesters of chapel. I know I’m right. It’s definitely chapel.

Which course did these Baylor students enjoy more? The required Christian Scriptures course, or the required Christian Heritage course? No wait, it’s the two semesters of chapel. I know I’m right. It’s definitely chapel.
How much did CU students enjoy attending a lower-ranked school? How did Baylor requiring two religion courses over four years impact their science teaching?

Again, at Stanford and Berkeley: widespread respect for a Baylor undergrad education. At Colorado, jokes of superiority despite a lower ranking. Is it not blatantly obvious how pathetic that looks?

Obviously.

The point is that:

Who CU is in a athletic conference with has absolutely no impact on CU's academic ratings.

None.

Zero.

Zilch.

And, if it did have an effect, all of the actual, real world data indicates that the effect is 100% exactly opposite of what you want to believe.
This actually isn't entirely correct depending on which ranking you prefer. US News and World Report's rankings use acceptance % as a ranking criteria. So winning games actually drives up enrollment and drives down the acceptance % which helps in that ranking. Freaking Alabama now has more than 50% off their student body from out of state.

How much did CU students enjoy attending a lower-ranked school? How did Baylor requiring two religion courses over four years impact their science teaching?

Again, at Stanford and Berkeley: widespread respect for a Baylor undergrad education. At Colorado, jokes of superiority despite a lower ranking. Is it not blatantly obvious how pathetic that looks?

Relax. I’m just pulling your chain. I know several Baylor grads. One guy falls into the “Don’t invite one baptist fishing, ‘cause he’ll drink all your beer” category. Another is a good banker, solidly educated, but he is also a religious zealot that occasionally lets slip some cringe worthy stuff. There’s a broad spectrum of conservatives that go there. The education is fine. Stanford produces way more crooks than Baylor anyway.

Look, we can all agree ****bailer due to various aspects of their history discussed ad naseum here for years. The level of education, however, isn’t one of them and using it, while simultaneously propping up the myth of CU academic prestige as a reason we fit better in a conference with Cal and Stanford is some serious big brain logic.

Cal and CU belong in the same sentence because of the culture of Berkeley and Boulder, that’s it, and in case it hasn’t been obvious for years now, that culture isn’t exactly conducive for winning football.

Speaking of California and bringing ti back to relevance in this thread, there is a bill in the state legislature that would require like 50% of the revenue be distributed to college athletes. if it passes, it will change the dynamics of all these conference reorgs and how the money is distributed.
I'm surprised this isn't generating more discussion. If it passes, its a game changer for every California school and will alter the recruiting landscape even more than . Every player at a major school in California will get upwards of 200K per year before NIL. Cal based teams will have an immediate advantage no one else has and will likely lead to every state with an SEC/B1G/ACC team passing similar passing similar legislation. I imagine it will also put the final nail in the coffin of college sports however.

USNWR 2022 rankings of "National Universities" has Cal-Berkeley at 22, Baylor at 75, and CU-Boulder at 99.

I'm not a huge believer in the pinpoint accuracy of rankings lists like this but the USNWR lists have cache with a lot of people so take it for what it's worth.

(CU is light years away from Cal academically; it's not even debatable.)

I’m not sure if this is correct, but seems to me that CU has four choices:

1. Stay in PAC 10, no expansion, collect $30-$35 million per school
2. Stay in PAC 10, add a couple Mtn West schools, get $30 million per school
3. PAC 10 poach the best of the Big 12 (if you can),get $40 million per school
4. Leave for Big 12, with either group of 4 or 6 teams, get $45 million per school

Again, those appear to be the figures bandied about. Correct me if I’m way off.

Scenarios 1 and 2 give CU least amount or revenue, potentially the least stability with some teams always eyeing an exit. Have the most acedemic prestige.

Scenario 3 provides more money, provide greater conference stability, maintains decent academic prestige

Scenario 4 offers most money, provides greater conference stability, most TV markets from coast to coast, conference has greater enthusiasm for football, but academic prestige takes significant hit.

Any way you slice it, CU is not monetarily competitive with either SEC or Big Ten (aka the Biggie Tupac), so all the fretting one way or another really doesn’t matter. I mean, being $50 million behind or $55 million, who cares?

If you’re a football fan, heading to the Big 12 is probably the right call. If academics, west coast ties is your thing, probably just stand pat.

EDIT...seems like heading to the Big 12 is the way to go if below is accurate.

View attachment 52756
@Vic Victory loves the idea of making $15-20M less per year than everyone else I know.

Brett Yormark said college sports is about maximizing revenue. What Pac 10 official has ever even acknowledged that?

I think @Not Sure is part of the group of people affiliated with CU that think CU is on the same level academically as Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt.

Here's the reality: CU's a hell of a school, but its not on that level.

I don't get that at all from his posts. Maybe I would think that if I was never accepted to CU.

USNWR 2022 rankings of "National Universities" has Cal-Berkeley at 22, Baylor at 75, and CU-Boulder at 99.

I'm not a huge believer in the pinpoint accuracy of rankings lists like this but the USNWR lists have cache with a lot of people so take it for what it's worth.

(CU is light years away from Cal academically; it's not even debatable.)
I don't recall anyone here suggesting that CU is equal to Cal academically (maybe some moron said it and I just missed it - they do run amok here).

This actually isn't entirely correct depending on which ranking you prefer. US News and World Report's rankings use acceptance % as a ranking criteria. So winning games actually drives up enrollment and drives down the acceptance % which helps in that ranking. Freaking Alabama now has more than 50% off their student body from out of state.
US News and World Report uses self reported numbers from the schools themselves, and there is no reason to treat their rankings as anything other than a glorified listicle.

The Shanghai AWRU has us 46th in the world, 27th in the US. For reference, Baylor is ranked between 600-700 in the world, and 160-170 in the US.

• Tier 3 (check the academic boxesand in big or growing markets, do they give a **** about football?)
    • Stanford
    • Duke
    • Colorado
    • Cal
    • Pitt
    • UVA
  • Tier 4 (check the academic boxes, smaller markets, clearly do not prioritize football)
    • Arizona (maybe)
    • Kansas
If it were me, I'd try to get a pod of UNC/GT and UW/UO and go to 20. If conferences really go to 24, then I'd think long and hard about which 4 I'd take from the scrapheap.
R1, AAU. K.
Putting them in that list after mentioning academics:
Wolf Of Wall Street Laugh GIF

Last edited:
Back