What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think the end result is we cut our football program.

yep, this may very well happen. No chance the progressives at CU-Boulder are going to be willing to live with academics and politics in the Big 12. Like any good organization with progressives as leaders, they are rigidly inflexible and absoutely and thoroughly intolerant to points-of-view which which they disagree.

yep, this may very well happen. No chance the progressives at CU-Boulder are going to be willing to live with academics and politics in the Big 12. Like any good organization with progressives as leaders, they are rigidly inflexible and absoutely and thoroughly intolerant to points-of-view which which they disagree.
Tell me more about intolerance.

Tell me more about intolerance.
It's so obvious that I don't think an explanation is even needed. But for example, I have no doubt, that if CU were theoretically in the Big 12 (which I don't think will ever happren), there would be public outrage from the faculty and certain administrators to not play games in the states of Texas or Oklahoma, due to things like rigidly, hardline progressive views on abortion rights, climate change, etc.

It's so obvious that I don't think an explanation is even needed. But for example, I have no doubt, that if CU were theoretically in the Big 12 (which I don't think will ever happren), there would be public outrage from the faculty and certain administrators to not play games in the states of Texas or Oklahoma, due to things like rigidly, hardline progressive views on abortion rights, climate change, etc.
I feel like there was a warning about bringing politics into this thread.

One thing I think people drastically overvalue is BYU and the national reach of the LDS church. It's not that big of a denomination and it's not like all the church members care about college football or root for BYU.

In this case, it's highly relevant and will certainly impact whether CU is or is not willing to be a member of a particular conference. I wish politics were completely irrelevant for CU's conference affiliation, but that's not the case.
Its not relevant at all. The only thing that matters is money. You are just looking to bring in your bull**** political beliefs.

In this case, it's highly relevant and will certainly impact whether CU is or is not willing to be a member of a particular conference. I wish politics were completely irrelevant for CU's conference affiliation, but that's not the case.
i think this is not completely without merit.

there are indeed a lot of faculty and admins and some regents that would prefer we did not have sports at all at the d1 level, especially football.

but, at the end of the day, here is the card that beats all that: without football, there are very very few scholarships for women's sports. full.stop. so, if you want achieve some form of equality in terms of athletic scholarships you need a money engine to drive it.

so far, that has protected CU football (to a very minimal extent) from total annihilation.

and, yes, please let's try (i am guilty too) to keep the political stuff out of this forum. a lot of folks are likely to disagree. if you love CU football and i think the majority of folks here do, then figure out what we can all do to help.

last, we have had a lot of conservative admins and pols **** us over too. it isn't based on political affiliation.

One thing I think people drastically overvalue is BYU and the national reach of the LDS church. It's not that big of a denomination and it's not like all the church members care about college football or root for BYU.
They have been an independent, available for any network to sign similar to Notre Dame and willing to play almost any time slot that a network would want other than Sundays which nobody would want them to play.

The best they could do was a deal with ESPN that the Sports Business Daily estimated at about $6 million a season, not exactly Notre Dame or P5 conference type of money including about $1.2 million per home game against P5 opponents and $800,000 per home game against G5 opponents.

Exact numbers are not public knowledge because as a private school BYU has no requirement to disclose their financial details.

i think this is not completely without merit.

there are indeed a lot of faculty and admins and some regents that would prefer we did not have sports at all at the d1 level, especially football.

but, at the end of the day, here is the card that beats all that: without football, there are very very few scholarships for women's sports. full.stop. so, if you want achieve some form of equality in terms of athletic scholarships you need a money engine to drive it.

so far, that has protected CU football (to a very minimal extent) from total annihilation.

and, yes, please let's try (i am guilty too) to keep the political stuff out of this forum. a lot of folks are likely to disagree. if you love CU football and i think the majority of folks here do, then figure out what we can all do to help.

last, we have had a lot of conservative admins and pols **** us over too. it isn't based on political affiliation.
If I could like this twice I would. very spot on.

There is a strong element in the school in Boulder that includes both administration and faculty members and even extends to some donors/alumni that are negative towards big time or top level revenue college sports.

I would not be shocked in any way if as the top programs in college football move farther away from student athlete based models and more towards professional athletics we see a strong push in Boulder to downscale our football and basketball programs (and women's basketball and volleyball which are most likely to be negatively impacted by other schools moving NIL and Title IX driven funds to them as well.

Very likely that many of the current BCS level programs are playing something closer to FCS in the future.

CU was theoretically, and actually, in the Big12 at one point.

Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

No. No there wouldn’t be. That’s just absurd.

Yeah. B12 just added high performing teams in the Houston, Orlando, Utah, and SW Ohio TV markets, and it owns Texas. GK just makes himself look dumb when he speaks, but in his defense (somewhat) he's been suddenly dealt a hand of fresh dog turds with no paper towels.
B12 doesn't even rent Texas, let alone own it.

The big 12 academics are progressive too.

The thing that makes our leadership different is that they are elitist snobs who actually believe that they are good at their jobs.

If those things mattered UCLA and USC wouldn't have joined the conference that has Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio and Indiana. Give me a break.

Just let me know when CU joins the Big 12. I contend they won’t do it under any circumstances. CU will stick with Cal and Stanford like Velcro - feeds the need to be associated with similar politics and academically elite institutions. USC and UCLA aren't that small-minded and insecure.

Just let me know when CU joins the Big 12. I contend they won’t do it under any circumstances. CU will stick with Cal and Stanford like Velcro - feeds the need to be associated with similar politics and academically elite institutions. USC and UCLA aren't that small-minded and insecure.
Nothing more pathetic than a wannabe

ok, first. that is enough of the politics.

second, you are dead wrong about the politics at the california schools. stanford is not particularly "liberal" and never has been. cal is probably a bit more "liberal" than boulder. usc is not "liberal" and ucla is a huge public school somewhere in the middle.

you have a point of view. it is polarizing and unnecessary in this forum. if you would like to opine more about how the commies are ruining america, please take it to the pol forum where folks can ignore, argue, whatever as they see fit.

ok, first. that is enough of the politics.

second, you are dead wrong about the politics at the california schools. stanford is not particularly "liberal" and never has been. cal is probably a bit more "liberal" than boulder. usc is not "liberal" and ucla is a huge public school somewhere in the middle.

you have a point of view. it is polarizing and unnecessary in this forum. if you would like to opine more about how the commies are ruining america, please take it to the pol forum where folks can ignore, argue, whatever as they see fit.
I agree. I don’t think tha politics has anything to do with the fact that the CU leadership is a bunch of incompetent, elitist, wannabe, snobs whose results are at best mediocre.

i actually don't think it is that comical. if you look at the teams remaining in the big12 including their g5 adds, you don't see concentrated tv markets or many marquee brands. they technically have a lot of eyeballs because they are so large but they don't have the big tv bases that the pac has.

if you look back at mandel's article, the pac owns the top 6 slots heads up v. the b12 and 8 of the top 10 (only tcu and isu even make the top 10). the pac only has 2 team teams average below 1mm viewrs--- arizona and oregon state. and, ku the worst of the worst has like half the average viewers of the worst pac team.

the b12 GoR expires a year after the pac. any of the big 12 would jump at a chance to move to a better tv conference but few if any of them would actually be invited.

CU is in a really ****ty position but bailing to the b12 without running through all the options is not a good idea. and this idea that the rose bowl is going to replace the pac with the big12 is honestly delusional. sec/big maybe. but, no ****ing way do they auto bid the b12 champ. please. wtf are these flatlanders smoking?

also, with respect to how the pac holds together, i heard one version of unequal rev sharing from the oregon ad that i didn't totally hate-- go back to doing it on tv appearances. at least we would have a chance to play our way to more revenue. that is a **** load fairer than us equal rev sharing in the big 12 with ****ing kansas and kjuco state.

when this next big deal gets closed, things might get moving. this idea that the b12 is somehow in a position of strength is dumb.
You just explained why we shouldn't stay in the Pac 10 with the bolded. If the Pac 10 had set their arrogance aside and taken the Big 12 last year, we're not here.

Don't blame USC for that. I would guarantee you Stanford and Cal (neither of whom understand the importance of athletics to a successful university) were right there with SC last year.

I agree with what you are saying about the CU administration in general but I'd also like to remind you that former Republican Bruce Benson did disregard OSU and TT by saying they offered "cinch" classes.

More of the CU mentality than politics in this case and that has been exacerbated while CU has been in the PAC.

I believe that we should have a robust academic atmosphere among all schools in the league,” Benson said. “What schools have cinch courses or gut courses? We don’t have any and never will. The Pac-12 doesn’t. Some Big 12 schools do.

Back