What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

The way we are recruiting the south I would rather see us in the SEC
It isn't a question of what we want, they are the ones who decide if they want to extend the invitation. I don't see the SEC having any intention of expanding their footprint.

The B1G on the other hand has already stretched themselves to both coast. I could see them having an interest in adding 2-4 more schools to balance the scheduling and allow them to dominate the later TV time slots. In that case Washington would be a given for 1st pick (Seattle/Pacific Northwest market.) From there you look at Oregon (recent years top 10-20 program, solid TV ratings,) Colorado (Denver and Rocky Mountain market plus strong ratings in California and historically solid national ratings when we have been decent. Then you look at either Utah (strong program recently, SLC and intermountain west market) or more likely one, and only one, of the Arizona Schools, probably UofA giving Arizona as well as similar to CU strong ratings nationally, especially in the Southwestern US.

If the B1G doesn't happen for us then as stated before the only way I see us remaining relevant and financially competitive would be the forming of a 3rd superconference dumping all the dead weight schools, not dragging more in to take their shares of the money as the SEC and the B1G continue to pull further away in media payouts.

We have a few years to rebuild our brand and prove our dedication.

If we do that, I have no doubt we get a seat at the big kid table. If we fail, I have no doubt we end up on the Island of Misfit Toys
Where are we spending those "few years" rebuilding our brand? The PAC12 TV deal expires in 2024, so the league could be done a year from now

Houston was the P12's #1 target (with TCU the most likely other) when they were looking to go to 14. Allegedly, USC blackballed it while they were secretly in negotiations with the B1G because they didn't want to talk about a GOR extension.
This. USC is the one that really screwed the rest of the PAC 12. It sabotaged any expansion and waited until just prior to the expiration of its grant of rights to move to the Big Ten. USC doesn’t get near enough hate.

This. USC is the one that really screwed the rest of the PAC 12. It sabotaged any expansion and waited until just prior to the expiration of its grant of rights to move to the Big Ten. USC doesn’t get near enough hate.
USC also sabotaged the B1G/ACC/P12 scheduling alliance when they announced a scheduling deal with LSU immediately after the alliance was announced.

They're at the top of my hate list these days.

Even then, doesn't it seem weird that the 4 corners P12 members would increase the B12 revenue so much that the existing 12 would earn more, UO and UW are reportedly more valuable than any of those 4, and possibly Cal & Stanford are at least as valuable as those 4 since they're in the largest media market.

That's 8 of the 10 P12 members that would supposedly be worth so much to the B12 that all 12 of its members would make more than they currently do while dividing the total pie into more slices. Yet somehow the P12 is much less valuable than the B12? I don't see how this calculus makes any sense.
Yeah I don’t know. Do the 4 corner programs actually increase the B12 revenue per school? I don’t see them as much different or better than the other B12 programs right now. I think Oregon, UW, Cal and Stanford would probably give it a boost, but only because the B12 inventory rises a ton, especially with late night content that ESPN desires. The value to ESPN (and Fox) might be in the consolidation of the two conferences.

End of the day, it doesn’t really matter if we don’t understand the math or think it checks out. If the Pac 12 was able to get a media deal far better than the Big 12, it would have happened by now. Even if Amazon decides to pay more to get the majority of the rights and it’s $35-$40m/school, there’s still the issue of distribution, which I know you don’t think is an issue at all w Amazon, but we’ll agree to disagree on that.

Yeah I don’t know. Do the 4 corner programs actually increase the B12 revenue per school? I don’t see them as much different or better than the other B12 programs right now. I think Oregon, UW, Cal and Stanford would probably give it a boost, but only because the B12 inventory rises a ton, especially with late night content that ESPN desires. The value to ESPN (and Fox) might be in the consolidation of the two conferences.

That's kind of what I'm guessing too, that adding some Pac12 schools gets the Big12 into the Pacific TZ. So it's more about the Big12 getting into the Pacific TZ, or even MTN in our case, and then the Big12 can potentially have games across all 4 timeslots on any given Saturday therefore increasing their value to a network because of the flexibility.

All conference realignment decisions are about money. No deal will ever be done which doesn't increase the revenue per member more than the cost per member.

the twitter doom bums me out, man.

the remaining pac has more high end program value schools... at least 7-8,,,

the new big 12 has how many?

this really shouldn't be this ****ing hard.

We just need to get Prime a 5 minute meeting with the B1G commissioner. Done deal.

Old School Reaction GIF

I don’t think adding SMU increase the revenue for the Big 12 schools. I think there’s an idea that doing some of these things could ultimately kill the Pac 12 and force some to jump to the Big 12, which would increase the revenue.

If the Pac 12 doesn’t get SDSU and SMU, then what? At that point, do Oregon and Washington say **** this and bail? Same question about Arizona schools, CU and Utah? I don’t see Cal and Stanford being proactive in anything, but the other 6 might
There is no way the networks are going to sign off on a pro rata add for the B12 to add another G5 school in a market they already have captured. Pretty sure that pro rata clause is likely limited to 6 -8 schools in the P12 and maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds of the ACC.

Take the buffs out of the equation, what school below is more valuable than Washington or Oregon? Hell, what school is more valuable than the scum devil's, or Stanford? What academic institution can complete with Cal or Stanford?

Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Baylor, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, and West Virginia.

I see Kansas, and some second tier schools that happen to be in Texas. Not a looker in the bunch.

Reactions: KCM
USC also sabotaged the B1G/ACC/P12 scheduling alliance when they announced a scheduling deal with LSU immediately after the alliance was announced.

They're at the top of my hate list these days.
Didn’t they also sabotage the original B10 scheduling alliance over their Notre Dame game?

Didn’t they also sabotage the original B10 scheduling alliance over their Notre Dame game?
And pushed the unbalanced scheduling so that all CA schools played every year.

And supported the Scott plan (with the other CA schools) which made the decision that a premium rate and multiple channels to promote Olympic sports was more important that broad distribution and total revenue. Until they decided that they had to leave the conference because of limited exposure and lower than expected revenue.

Said it before, I'll say it one last time. We need to get off this sinking ship. Hope HCP has the guys hit the ground running. Everything has been great so far, but we haven't played yet, obviously. Do some damage on the field, I'd think CU would be wanted, especially with HCP being the guy. All of this is about what y'all already know. This man can help generate a ton of it. :D

I
It isn't a question of what we want, they are the ones who decide if they want to extend the invitation. I don't see the SEC having any intention of expanding their footprint.

The B1G on the other hand has already stretched themselves to both coast. I could see them having an interest in adding 2-4 more schools to balance the scheduling and allow them to dominate the later TV time slots. In that case Washington would be a given for 1st pick (Seattle/Pacific Northwest market.) From there you look at Oregon (recent years top 10-20 program, solid TV ratings,) Colorado (Denver and Rocky Mountain market plus strong ratings in California and historically solid national ratings when we have been decent. Then you look at either Utah (strong program recently, SLC and intermountain west market) or more likely one, and only one, of the Arizona Schools, probably UofA giving Arizona as well as similar to CU strong ratings nationally, especially in the Southwestern US.

If the B1G doesn't happen for us then as stated before the only way I see us remaining relevant and financially competitive would be the forming of a 3rd superconference dumping all the dead weight schools, not dragging more in to take their shares of the money as the SEC and the B1G continue to pull further away in media payouts.
Disagree with SEC not wanting to expand. I don't believe it does them any good to have the B1G from coast to coast when they can also pick up some of the later time slots. If this is an arms race to the top they will not stand by and let the B1G dominate. We start winning and Prime keeps recruiting the South, I could easily see us with an invite to the SEC in the future. Obviously a lot has to happen, but I can see it.

Has no effect on the Pac 12 directly, but still relevant

Especially this: The number of US cable subscribers (103.3m to 66.1m) and number of households with a TV (90% to 54%) has declined between 2012 and 2022 as this effectively means the P12N as currently constructed is dying.

Back