What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

why the b12 will suck for us:

1. no way to close the massive revenue gap with the sec and big and a likely brutal GoR required.
2. no geographic, historical, meaningful, or interesting conference rivalries left.
3. CU will immediately become the elite academic and research university in the conference. think about what that really means. the company you keep...
4. if Prime wins, then he will ultimately be called to try his hand at the next level of college ball which will not be us as a member of the b12.

what we need to:

hold together. sign a shorter term GoR as the pac. wait for the next big shakeout, which probably relegates a whole bunch of bottom feeder programs out of the power conferences. win.

schools like vandy, northwestern, stanford, and cal can head off and play in a better version of the ivy league. schools like wsu, oregon state, and probably a third or more of the current b12 can join some super second tier conference.

for CU, uw, oregon, and maybe the Arizona schools, the goal is work their way into the super top tier.

associating with the mouth breathing also-rans of the big 12 doesn't put us closer to getting there. oregon, washington, and us -- we need to play the long game.
That's Fantasyland right there. Vandy and NW are going nowhere.

There is so much speculation and it comes from all directions. National media is throwing gasoline on the fire as it is the most exciting car wreck in college sports right now - Conference Realignment. Big12 is doing its best to undermine any possible PAC deal, as is the BIG, so that they can pick up wanted pieces from the carnage.

It is ALL pure speculation at this time. Even IF CU is talking to Big12, who even knows why….. maybe to create leverage for a larger slice of unequal distribution of a new PAC deal. Maybe to secure a spot in Big12, but who is to say CU hasn’t already submitted to BIG or even SEC.

In regards to that, there seems to be some consensus that SEC wants football BRANDS and doesn’t seem as interested in the geographic benefits of going west. We are a weak football brand right now and I can’t see any school out west taking priority in expansion to Florida st or Clemson, period.

What if we have applied to get into the BIG. The BIG is a different animal. They captured the PAC’s most valuable football MARKET with fUCLA/USC. That also appears to be the reason to add the schools east as well; market over brand. IF the BIG is not done expanding, why is CU such a bad choice? Of the remaining PAC schools, we would bring a desired media market, AAU, research $ comparable to many of the BIG institutions, academic standing similar to several of the existing institutions and could provide a solution to their NU mistake with an instant rivalry game and travel partner. The game this fall is timely in that sense.

It has seemed strange to me how CU had destroyed its own program from within over the years. Why now the willingness to change academic/transfer standards; pony up for a high profile coach, invest in football in general. I kept thinking it was because of a new University President but maybe also because CU brass realizes the potential cost of losing touch with other top research institutions, which would be a casualty of rejoining the Big12 but not so if we get a bid to BIG. Maybe, just maybe that is the reason CU might be considered ahead of an Arizona or Oregon, as we can move the needle more from a collaborative research standpoint within the conference.

Who knows how many backdoor deals are currently in play but I sincerely hope CU lands on its feet and in best possible position going forward.

rebutting your rebuttal-- the point is to try to hold together long enough to draw a better outcome later. we sign our lives away to the ****ing big 12 and we are stuck with the ****ing big 12 and all that entails.

maintaining optionality over time is our best option, imho.
I see your point. I just don’t think all four corner schools sign their lives away to join the Big12.

CFB has been in a downward slide on the fun scale for years.

Once historic conferences broke up and traditional bowl games and their traditional match ups surrendered to the mighty dollar, it was, and is, only a matter of time.

CFB has morphed away from the importance of polls, bowl games and tradition, towards a playoff system. In short, it is NFL lite. Players are being paid too, now. That change I object to the least, as the players are generating a lot of dough and I see no reason why they should not get a cut, but soon this will be as compelling as the No Fun League, which I almost never watch.

I intend to enjoy the ride while I can, but the glory days of CFB are over. It will be homogenized and made the sporting equivalent of an Applebee's soon enough.
This. For me, The late 80s and early 90s around The U and then 4 years at CU at the end McCartneys career cant be touched.

When you think about what makes college football "fun", is it really the cultural similarities and academic prestige between Universities?

Assuming CU becomes good again, who gives a **** about playing Stanford and Cal in front of 15k fans in Palo Alto or Berkley? Is there anything special about playing Arizona or ASU, two programs with zero CFB tradition? Oregon, Washington and Utah are "fun" opponents, but that's not due to their cultural similarities
Obviously not you. so by all means lets join the AAC if they’ll write us a bigger check.…. What great new rivalries we can “make up” playing schools that didnt even have dorms 20 years ago.

usc blocking any chances of the pac putting itself in better position before they fled is the ultimate **** you. that ought to be litigated. there should be a tort called "pure evil ****ery" and pac v. usc ought to be the test case.
If they were negotiating with the B1G at some point backwards beyond a reasonable date AND THEN blocked expansion (OU UT or more recently) I think the remaining schools could claim they were materially damaged.

If they were negotiating with the B1G at some point backwards beyond a reasonable date AND THEN blocked expansion (OU UT or more recently) I think the remaining schools could claim they were materially damaged.
Good luck proving that, although I absolutely believe it to be the case.

CU can enter a conference like the Big 12 whenever it pleases. To make a preemptive move before the PAC falls apart is beyond stupid.
I don't know, if you wait on the P12 and UW and Oregon get a B1G offer, you have a lot less leverage...even with the Truck Stop 12.

What if we have applied to get into the BIG. The BIG is a different animal. They captured the PAC’s most valuable football MARKET with fUCLA/USC. That also appears to be the reason to add the schools east as well; market over brand. IF the BIG is not done expanding, why is CU such a bad choice? Of the remaining PAC schools, we would bring a desired media market, AAU, research $ comparable to many of the BIG institutions, academic standing similar to several of the existing institutions and could provide a solution to their NU mistake with an instant rivalry game and travel partner. The game this fall is timely in that sense.
Seattle and the Bay Area are greater, larger markets then Denver. Cal, Standford, and UW are academically better brands then CU. California exports more students then it has college classroom space for as does Washington I believe. So, for the B1G with its shrinking states those, are good reasons to have those schools in their conference. I guess it could come down to Oregon or CU as the 4th with CU having way better academics and better market but a lessor sports brand of late.

Obviously not you. so by all means lets join the AAC if they’ll write us a bigger check.…. What great new rivalries we can “make up” playing schools that didnt even have dorms 20 years ago.
I don’t really get your point. Do you love watching CU vs Stanford? What rivalries did CU develop in the Pac 12? Also not sure what your last sentence means.

Maintaining flexibility is key.
Well, the last thing I want is CU signing on with the Conference from Deliverance in any fashion other than for pure expediency, and with a built in escape hatch if the B1G or SEC come calling. My fear is that now that SC has pretty much screwed everyone in the Pac, save fUCLA, should the B1G take UO, UW, or by some stretch Stanford and Cal, the dented washtub that represents the Pac12 ship of state becomes a piece of driftwood. Then CU and the few others with enough clout have to go to Goober the Truck Stop 12 commissioner with hat in hand. That would be bad.

EDIT: what creebuzz said, only better and more succinctly.

The Monty Show out of SLC.... whoa ! lots of new info and it's not good for the PAC
The show is still live right now but just go back and start at the beginning as they dump a bunch of info.
$22 million per team - ESPN won't pay for SDSU or SMU now or in the future...among other info

I'm continuing to listen and it gets worse. ESPN & Amazon will only guarantee TWO games a week(one each) with ESPN having the option to
broadcast a second if they want. If this is in fact correct the PAC is DEAD. DONE. FINISHED

Last edited:

The Monty Show out of SLC.... whoa ! lots of new info and it's not good for the PAC
The show is still live right now but just go back and start at the beginning as they dump a bunch of info.
$22 million per team - ESPN won't pay for SDSU or SMU now or in the future...among other info

BOOM, the P12 is dead.

If you believe, as I do, that the next step is not the final step, it’s really all about setting us up to move forward when the time comes. We just need to have a chair when the music stops. The music is going to keep playing for at least another 10 years.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

If you believe, as I do, that the next step is not the final step, it’s really all about setting us up to move forward when the time comes. We just need to have a chair when the music stops. The music is going to keep playing for at least another 10 years.
2030 will be the next big game of musical chairs.
IF the PAC will only have two guaranteed football games per week then the PAC is nowhere CU needs to be.
If CU VS Cal or Arizona won't be on tv Coach Prime will be gone. It's as simple as that. What about basketball games ? Ugh

2030 will be the next big game of musical chairs.
IF the PAC will only have two guaranteed football games per week then the PAC is nowhere CU needs to be.
If CU VS Cal or Arizona won't be on tv Coach Prime will be gone. It's as simple as that. What about basketball games ? Ugh
This fact is lost on some people. Amazing. And regardless of who's coaching the team imagine how easy it would be to recruit against a school if there's any question that some of the games might not be televised. Put a fork in the PAC10.

Last edited:
This fact is lost on some people. Amazing. And regardless of who's coaching the team imagine how easy it would be to recruit against a school if there's any question that some of the games might not be televised. Put a fork in the PAC10.
Said the ASU fan...

I 'efn hate this so much. I can't stand the idea of going to the B12. My only hope (as expressed by many others) is that we don't tie ourselves to the conference long term. I truly believe we have an opportunity in the next few years to be attractive to one of the big 2 conferences.

I hate it, but I understand it. Ferk.

Back