What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I’m not sure the correlation between academics and conference affiliation is really that strong. It seems to me that since we left the Pac-12, our academic reputation has gone down.
I don't know. But I thought I saw posted that CU has seen a large increase in research partnerships and funding.

I don't know. But I thought I saw posted that CU has seen a large increase in research partnerships and funding.
I saw that too, but according to every ranking I’ve seen the academic reputation of CU has fallen. (I’ll grant you that poor leadership was mostly to blame). I don’t think that Pac-12 membership buoyed our reputation.

I saw that too, but according to every ranking I’ve seen the academic reputation of CU has fallen. (I’ll grant you that poor leadership was mostly to blame). I don’t think that Pac-12 membership buoyed our reputation.
I wonder if it also increased applications from western states, donations from west coast alums, research investments from western tech & science companies, and/or applications/ investments from Asia. Because I guarantee any CU Chancellor or President is going to value that stuff over media distribution of sporting event broadcasts.

On Jr's youtube page it showed coach Prime having a meeting with Pac 12 officials. It only showed him and Merton Hanks hugging but I'm wondering if it had anything to do with realignment.

On Jr's youtube page it showed coach Prime having a meeting with Pac 12 officials. It only showed him and Merton Hanks hugging but I'm wondering if it had anything to do with realignment.
Prime & Hanks were in the SF Super Bowl champ secondary together

I think everyone’s reading too much into the CP/Hanks meeting. It’s perfectly normal for the conference football coaches, especially new coaches, to meet with the conferences Commissioner for Football Ops. Add to that that they’re long time friends. I’m sure they shot the **** about realignment but I doubt that the meeting was in any way impactful or related to realignment.

I think everyone’s reading too much into the CP/Hanks meeting. It’s perfectly normal for the conference football coaches, especially new coaches, to meet with the conferences Commissioner for Football Ops. Add to that that they’re long time friends. I’m sure they shot the **** about realignment but I doubt that the meeting was in any way impactful or related to realignment.
I'm not saying you're wrong but it wasn't just a coach prime Mertin Hanks meeting.

I wonder if it also increased applications from western states, donations from west coast alums, research investments from western tech & science companies, and/or applications/ investments from Asia. Because I guarantee any CU Chancellor or President is going to value that stuff over media distribution of sporting event broadcasts.
Your original post was referring to academic standing. My only point is that it doesn’t seem that Pac-12 membership has helped our academic reputation.

The increase in research money and applications you reference is a separate point. Maybe joining the Pac-12 helped those areas.

To the larger point of realignment, it appears to me that the conference is dissolving and with it, whatever benefits it might have provided are dissolving as well.

I get it. We are talking about sports. But while I get it, it does bother me that just about everyone seems dismissive of academic reputation to the point of ridiculing college presidents for caring more about that than they do about maximizing sports entertainment dollars for their university. I don't believe it's an either/or proposition and do believe these things can be complementary. I guess I don't understand being into college athletics and not caring about the main mission of colleges. Or maybe I do understand and it's why college sports get so much support in cities and states which don't have pro teams - these are their pro teams and have little to do with education in the minds of their supporters.
What is this “academic reputation” you speak of? CU would be middle of the pack in either conference (Big XII or P12), but closer to the bottom of the B1G.

If Four Corners go to Big12 do this-

Western Division

Utah, BYU, ASU, Arizona, Colorado, Texas Tech, Kansas, KSU

Eastern Division

Baylor, TCU, Houston, Okie St, Iowa State, Cincinnati, West Va, UCF

Divisions are not going to be happening anymore. Three permanent opponents and rotating the rest is where conferences are going.
If so I'd think the three would be Arizona, ASU and Utah but would think they would want Utah playing BYU every year so maybe
it would be ASI, Arizona and Texas Teach.

Last edited:
If so I'd think the three would be Arizona, ASU and Utah but would think they would want Utah playing BYU every years so maybe
it would be ASI, Arizona and Texas Teach.
I could see that. I could also see them wanting CU to go back to Big12 roots too with ISU, KSU, OSU, or Kansas. Here’s the Cover 3 Podscast putting together what SEC and Big10 would look like. It’s a lot more difficult than just assigning teams.

Divisions are not going to be happening anymore. Three permanent opponents and rotating the rest is where conferences are going.
Yep. It is likely that there a few teams locked as annual regional rivalry games with other members on a rotation for 14+ member conferences.

In a hypothetical Big 12 + 4 Corners, ASU, UA, Utah & BYU get grouped. CU gets put with KU, KSU and OSU, I think.

Yep. It is likely that there a few teams locked as annual regional rivalry games with other members on a rotation for 14+ member conferences.

In a hypothetical Big 12 + 4 Corners, ASU, UA, Utah & BYU get grouped. CU gets put with KU, KSU and OSU, I think.
It’s probably going to be three of Az, ASU, Utah, OSU, KU, KSU, and ISU.

SD on 247 saying "someone with more juice than him, but not directly involved" speculated that it's...

75% Big 12
20% B1G
5% Pac

The fact that the B1G is even mentioned by someone who may have some contacts is awesome, even if it remains a long shot.

Maybe the B1G is thinking long term where CU has a renewed sense of commitment to athletics and gives them a massive ratings annual game with Nebraska, to go with the MTZ and making travel much easier for USC and UCLA, and some appealing matchups with those programs.

Maybe Todd Saliman is HIM!

SD on 247 saying "someone with more juice than him, but not directly involved" speculated that it's...

75% Big 12
20% B1G
5% Pac

The fact that the B1G is even mentioned by someone who may have some contacts is awesome, even if it remains a long shot.

Maybe the B1G is thinking long term where CU has a renewed sense of commitment to athletics and gives them a massive ratings annual game with Nebraska, to go with the MTZ and making travel much easier for USC and UCLA, and some appealing matchups with those programs.

Maybe Todd Saliman is HIM!
Seems the P12 is a dead man walking.

Back