What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I enjoyed reading this surprisingly self-aware post from a UCLA fan (hope you do too @hokiehead):

Strong disagree on this one. We are probably culprit number 1 if the Pac dies.

We have gone cheap since Wooden, lucked into Terry Donahue and then made disastrous hires one after another. Some of those were down to our sheer institutional insular stupidity, ie ignoring the search committee rec to hire John Harbaugh and going with the glory days alums / Donahue lobby and hiring Neuheisel. Some of those were down to an inability to navigate academics and athletics like more successful universities have. We spiced that up by hiring people that tried to use religion to intervene in rape cases and our preferred self-flagellation: insular hires (Hazzard, Neu, Dorrell, Toledo, Lavin).

We, along with Stanford, actually sucked SC down into the Olympic sports rabbit hole and along with ASU were supposedly the prime enablers of Larry Scott.

We never tried to actually build recruiting ties in the LA area while simultaneously allowing our 1980s/1990s ties in Texas and Maryland/NY/DC to die.

We are very lucky that being in LA saved us from 40 years of terrible mismanagement of this corner of our school. I'm not saying we shouldn't have accepted a Big Ten invitation, but we aren't going to become "not mediocre" by mistaking our natural advantages for canniness.

So we should probably be apologizing to Colorado, Utah, UW, OSU, WSU, etc. fans.

I'm a proud alum and am generally pretty positive, but viewing our 2024 opportunity as earned is beyond even my ability to see the bright side of things.

I enjoyed reading this surprisingly self-aware post from a UCLA fan (hope you do too @hokiehead):

We have gone cheap since Wooden, lucked into Terry Donahue and then made disastrous hires one after another. Some of those were down to our sheer institutional insular stupidity, ie ignoring the search committee rec to hire John Harbaugh and going with the glory days alums / Donahue lobby and hiring Neuheisel. Some of those were down to an inability to navigate academics and athletics like more successful universities have. We spiced that up by hiring people that tried to use religion to intervene in rape cases and our preferred self-flagellation: insular hires (Hazzard, Neu, Dorrell, Toledo, Lavin).

We, along with Stanford, actually sucked SC down into the Olympic sports rabbit hole and along with ASU were supposedly the prime enablers of Larry Scott.

We never tried to actually build recruiting ties in the LA area while simultaneously allowing our 1980s/1990s ties in Texas and Maryland/NY/DC to die.

We are very lucky that being in LA saved us from 40 years of terrible mismanagement of this corner of our school. I'm not saying we shouldn't have accepted a Big Ten invitation, but we aren't going to become "not mediocre" by mistaking our natural advantages for canniness.

So we should probably be apologizing to Colorado, Utah, UW, OSU, WSU, etc. fans.

I'm a proud alum and am generally pretty positive, but viewing our 2024 opportunity as earned is beyond even my ability to see the bright side of things.
TBH, I'd rather read updates about what other boards that posters on Ramnation are joining.

From SD at BuffStampede:
Less clear on why the PAC didn't sweep up some Big 12 schools when OU/UT announced. Rumor is it was SC who killed looking at it - all the while they were in bed with the Big 10. IF that is true - and forgetting who said this earlier in the thread - then SC can forever go **** themselves. IF that is true, I'd love to see some FOIA requests for Mike Bohn's communications.

Could Mike Bohn been extra motivated to get back at DiStefano and CU by getting USC to go to the B1G, knowing it would hurt the PAC and CU?!?!

From SD at BuffStampede:
Less clear on why the PAC didn't sweep up some Big 12 schools when OU/UT announced. Rumor is it was SC who killed looking at it - all the while they were in bed with the Big 10. IF that is true - and forgetting who said this earlier in the thread - then SC can forever go **** themselves. IF that is true, I'd love to see some FOIA requests for Mike Bohn's communications.

Could Mike Bohn been extra motivated to get back at DiStefano and CU by getting USC to go to the B1G, knowing it would hurt the PAC and CU?!?!
I doubt there was any motivation by Bohn to "get back at CU". In fact, I doubt USC and UCLA moving to the B1G was something Bohn had much authority on. Certainly input, but that's a Presidential and BOT decision, not an AD one. The name that mostly comes up w/r/t USC nixing expansion is Carol Folt, their President, who was said to be very anti-expansion when OU and UT announced they were leaving.

Alot of expansion talk with McMurphy in this interview. He talks about how FSU could potentially get out of the ACC for around a $70-75 exit fee minus the media rights part, the idea of UW and UO going to the B1G at some point, the 4C schools as Big 12 candidates and how the B1G would love to get FSU and Miami.

Im not sure how he calculates that low of a number. The ACCs exit fee alone is $120million. Then the ACC gets 100% of FSU‘s rights from a new conference thru 2036.

From SD at BuffStampede:

would FOIA apply to a private school?

My favorite part is that he doesn't suggest apologizing to Oregon.

If so I'd think the three would be Arizona, ASU and Utah but would think they would want Utah playing BYU every year so maybe
it would be ASI, Arizona and Texas Teach.
Lolz. Think along the lines of CU with Iowa State, Kansas, and Kstate amigo. Utah will be with ASU, UA, and BYU

If I was Saliman I would sell the idea of a NU rivalry game and offer to take $25 million 2025-2027 and then $30- 35 million 2028 till the next BIG10 contract gets inked.
Make the BIG10 an offer they can't refuse.
The only way that happens is if the TV people agree to pay an additional $25 million 2025-2027 and then $30- 35 million 2028 till the next BIG10 contract gets inked. The B1G can offer but need TVs blessing. And it was TV that drove this because of the value of LAs TV market. San Francisco and Seattle are bigger TV markets then Denver.

why the b12 will suck for us:

1. no way to close the massive revenue gap with the sec and big and a likely brutal GoR required.
2. no geographic, historical, meaningful, or interesting conference rivalries left.
3. CU will immediately become the elite academic and research university in the conference. think about what that really means. the company you keep...
4. if Prime wins, then he will ultimately be called to try his hand at the next level of college ball which will not be us as a member of the b12.

what we need to:

hold together. sign a shorter term GoR as the pac. wait for the next big shakeout, which probably relegates a whole bunch of bottom feeder programs out of the power conferences. win.

schools like vandy, northwestern, stanford, and cal can head off and play in a better version of the ivy league. schools like wsu, oregon state, and probably a third or more of the current b12 can join some super second tier conference.

for CU, uw, oregon, and maybe the Arizona schools, the goal is work their way into the super top tier.

associating with the mouth breathing also-rans of the big 12 doesn't put us closer to getting there. oregon, washington, and us -- we need to play the long game.

From SD at BuffStampede:

I reckon he probably wanted the big 10's big yearly payout.

1. no way to close the massive revenue gap with the sec and big and a likely brutal GoR required.
2. no geographic, historical, meaningful, or interesting conference rivalries left.
3. CU will immediately become the elite academic and research university in the conference. think about what that really means. the company you keep...
4. if Prime wins, then he will ultimately be called to try his hand at the next level of college ball which will not be us as a member of the b12.

what we need to:

hold together. sign a shorter term GoR as the pac. wait for the next big shakeout, which probably relegates a whole bunch of bottom feeder programs out of the power conferences. win.

schools like vandy, northwestern, stanford, and cal can head off and play in a better version of the ivy league. schools like wsu, oregon state, and probably a third or more of the current b12 can join some super second tier conference.

for CU, uw, oregon, and maybe the Arizona schools, the goal is work their way into the super top tier.

associating with the mouth breathing also-rans of the big 12 doesn't put us closer to getting there. oregon, washington, and us -- we need to play the long game.
definitely no bias from the guy living in the bay area

the "big" 12 members:

i will line out those that due to lack of competitiveness or lack of sufficient academics or university mission should not be associated with most of the pac:

baylor
west virgina
tcu
byu
ksu
central florida

those are the obvious ones that no reasonable case can be made that they in any way resemble most of the pac or most of the big.

the others from the remnant big 8 that have a case to be peer institutions with most of the pac:

kansas
iowa state
okie state

another former b12 school with at least a case:

tech

more commuter school dregs:

houston
cinncinati

THIS is the conference we want to be in? oregon, uw, cal, stanford, CU, ua, and even drooling asu should do better than this.

i hate this.

look at that murderer's row of stupid and culturally opposite. how does THIS make college football fun?

and while you are all "doing your own research" please check out ucf closely. choose any metric you wish and tell me how in ANY POSSIBLE way they are ANYTHING like most of us in the pac.

but, FLORIDA!

this is a collection of misfits and bottom feeders.

how does THIS make college football fun?
CFB has been in a downward slide on the fun scale for years.

Once historic conferences broke up and traditional bowl games and their traditional match ups surrendered to the mighty dollar, it was, and is, only a matter of time.

CFB has morphed away from the importance of polls, bowl games and tradition, towards a playoff system. In short, it is NFL lite. Players are being paid too, now. That change I object to the least, as the players are generating a lot of dough and I see no reason why they should not get a cut, but soon this will be as compelling as the No Fun League, which I almost never watch.

I intend to enjoy the ride while I can, but the glory days of CFB are over. It will be homogenized and made the sporting equivalent of an Applebee's soon enough.

Im not sure how he calculates that low of a number. The ACCs exit fee alone is $120million. Then the ACC gets 100% of FSU‘s rights from a new conference thru 2036.

As I stated the $70-75 mil was minus the media rights. And he came up with the 70-75 number because he said these deals typically get settled for about 60% of what the contract states.

what we need to:

The other thing that I think everyone needs to think about is the fact that streaming continues to grow at the expense of set top cable/satellite as well as linear TV. Only some of those services have sports. Someone posted it earlier in this thread that GenZ is largely tuning out sports. These are the people that are coming into the years of disposable spending, advertisers want their attention, and they’re spending on streaming services.

These big contracts are more about marquee matchups that produce huge ratings (must see TV) rather than being about interest in the Big 10. By continuing to add schools, they are potentially diluting the value of their product as it relates to marquee matchups (UCLA? Really?) and ultimately threatening advertisers seeing a return on their investment. ESPN apparently struggled with ad sales two quarters back.

So with all that in mind, it’s possible that the amounts Tv is paying could flatten because the advertisers find other ways to reach GenZ and the future consumers that advertisers care about. Some schools might also end up not on TV as their is too much inventory for the network. If the Big 10 or SEC is faced with less money or kicking two teams out which teams would they kick out?

and while you are all "doing your own research" please check out ucf closely. choose any metric you wish and tell me how in ANY POSSIBLE way they are ANYTHING like most of us in the pac.

but, FLORIDA!

this is a collection of misfits and bottom feeders.
They did have a taekwondo rock band who fought drug dealers and ninjas in the '80s. (One of my favorite Rifftrax/MST3K movies. :ROFLMAO:)

Trailer here:

Full thing available for free here:

There is a Shout Factory app for Apple TV. Not sure about other streaming devices and smart TVs.

the "big" 12 members:

i will line out those that due to lack of competitiveness or lack of sufficient academics or university mission should not be associated with most of the pac:

baylor
west virgina
tcu
byu
ksu
central florida

those are the obvious ones that no reasonable case can be made that they in any way resemble most of the pac or most of the big.

the others from the remnant big 8 that have a case to be peer institutions with most of the pac:

kansas
iowa state
okie state

another former b12 school with at least a case:

tech

more commuter school dregs:

houston
cinncinati

THIS is the conference we want to be in? oregon, uw, cal, stanford, CU, ua, and even drooling asu should do better than this.

i hate this.

look at that murderer's row of stupid and culturally opposite. how does THIS make college football fun?
When you think about what makes college football "fun", is it really the cultural similarities and academic prestige between Universities?

Assuming CU becomes good again, who gives a **** about playing Stanford and Cal in front of 15k fans in Palo Alto or Berkley? Is there anything special about playing Arizona or ASU, two programs with zero CFB tradition? Oregon, Washington and Utah are "fun" opponents, but that's not due to their cultural similarities

what we need to:

Rebuttal.

1. Same applies when staying in PAC12
2. Same applies when staying in PAC12.
3. Who gives a ****?
4. Same applies when staying in PAC12.

Associating with "mouth breathing also-rans" sounds great to me since they care about improving their athletic and football programs.

i guess this has for me mostly been a vent about how ****ing horrible this situation has become. i can understand why the pac university presidents are allegedly puking all over these outcomes. this is truly ****ed up.

worst case now is the big decides to take uw, uo, stan, and cal and we get sent down to the b12. i am going to ****ing hate that.

it could be worse. we could be wsu or osu who really only have one legit chance at remaining relevant (pac holds together) and i feel for them. they didn't deserve to get ****ed like this either.

usc blocking any chances of the pac putting itself in better position before they fled is the ultimate **** you. that ought to be litigated. there should be a tort called "pure evil ****ery" and pac v. usc ought to be the test case.

If so I'd think the three would be Arizona, ASU and Utah but would think they would want Utah playing BYU every year so maybe
it would be ASI, Arizona and Texas Teach.
We'd play Oklahoma State. Baylor, TCU, and Houston would be TT's permanent opponents.

Their TV figure is $31.5M IIRC. I'd take that to the SEC and Big 10 and see if they'd be willing to match it for the rest of this cycle. What's the worst they're going to say-no?

Rebuttal.

3. Who gives a ****?

Associating with "mouth breathing also-rans" sounds great to me since they care about improving their athletic and football programs.
If Prime has us sniffing a bowl (even at 5-7), I want him extended with raise.

Rebuttal.

3. Who gives a ****?

rebutting your rebuttal-- the point is to try to hold together long enough to draw a better outcome later. we sign our lives away to the ****ing big 12 and we are stuck with the ****ing big 12 and all that entails.

maintaining optionality over time is our best option, imho.

Back