What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I believe the phrase is Kick the Can down the Road. No one ever wants to recognize bad news so you just keep extending and waiting and hoping for that knight in shining armor to save you.

The extend and pretend for the PAC has been some next level sh!t. I’m almost convinced they can ride this into 2024. Unfortunately, the sports media financials are trending in the wrong direction to suggest a better deal can be had. Turns out the first offer was the best offer. Yormark recognized this. Kliavkoff did not, or couldn’t sell it.
I agree. Also think after years of being undervalued bc of the P12N played a role in this. We wanted to make that money back.

Nah, I'm sure the money is there. My team has been negotiating a $100m/year resale contract with a large network/infrastructure/software manufacturer for 17 months. Sometimes the right deal takes time, and pisses a lot of people off in the process.

Everyone is setting artificial deadlines on this media, and it honestly doesn't even REALLY need to be done in 2023. Nothing changes until the deal is effective (July 2024 at the earliest), and leverage is not currently on the PAC 12's side. The economy has been in a weird spot, streaming is growing, and cable is shrinking. The right option IMO is wait out the process and get the best deal they can.
Yes, technically every trend could be bucked and they could sign a deal next year, but that’s not how this works. Nobody is waiting until the 11th hour to fill their inventory. Planning and strategy has already started for 2024. The Pac 10 isn’t going to drive a network to wait.

UCLA is not much of a football school. They give game tickets away for free. Their stadium is frequently very empty. They got into the B1G for the same reason Rutgers did: they deliver a big Tv market.

Used to talk with an actual UCLA booster on a forum and he was saying that the boosters are hoping to leave the Rose Bowl and go to SoFi. I think the reason for UCLA not being a football school has a lot to do with the Rose Bowl. The Westwood area where UCLA is located at has rejected on campus stadiums like that and Miami FL appears to be a similar story with the Coral Gables community regarding an on campus stadium. Temple appears to have given up on their on campus stadium due to the NIMBYs.

It’s possible that the P12 could have a good deal in the works and while it seems like the P12 has until July 1, 2024 to finalize the deal, the MWC deadline is fast approaching for SDSU.

Big 12 still could nab SDSU before that deadline so the P12 has got to get it done or they will have to nab UNLV with that football history they have.

The MWC would need time to try to nab the likes of NDSU & SoDSU and maybe the Montana schools. I don’t think the exit fees from the MVFC or Big Sky are quite steep and I believe Sam Houston State paid under $500K to leave the WAC for CUSA.

The deal is $19M per school. Thats what it was reported to be at 6 months ago, and thats the number still floating out there. There is no deal to be made that gets more than 4 willing to sign it. That along with a $70M bill to pay, lawsuits against the PAC, our only two remaining big brands wanting out at first chance ... get us TF out of here. Lets get back to a place that has some stability and a f'ing future to it. A conference with a dynamic leader who is creating opportunity and clowned our own commish. I want to be in stadiums and arenas with passionate fans again. I want to play KU again, and some other former conference foes. All while making considerably more money, having better exposure opportunities with Coach Prime leading the way, and building our athletic department back up in the B12 preparing for the next round in 2030. F this place, lets get going

Does anyone recall that then B12 commissioner Dan Beebe was trying to get the B12 to sign a new B12 GOR right before CU left for the PAC? I think that is what the P12 is trying to do at this point. Even Beebe knew by then that CU was gone.

Used to talk with an actual UCLA booster on a forum and he was saying that the boosters are hoping to leave the Rose Bowl and go to SoFi. I think the reason for UCLA not being a football school has a lot to do with the Rose Bowl. The Westwood area where UCLA is located at has rejected on campus stadiums like that and Miami FL appears to be a similar story with the Coral Gables community regarding an on campus stadium. Temple appears to have given up on their on campus stadium due to the NIMBYs.
Imagine the hue and cry in Boulder if CU didn't have a stadium and wanted to build one on campus.

The Big 12 conference is exploring starting a bowl game in Monterrey, Mexico, as a linchpin of the league's push into the country, sources told ESPN on Wednesday. The game would begin in the postseason following the 2026 season and has been targeted for Monterrey, the sources said.

Along with the plans for the postseason bowl game, the Big 12 also plans to hold other sports in Mexico as part of a greater strategy in the country. The men's and women's basketball teams from both Kansas and Houston have agreed to play each other in a regular-season game in Mexico City in December 2024, sources told ESPN.

alright, Monterrey or Mexico City could be a fun roadie

link

first one is smokin'woods bbq

Who also serves woke booze. Good riddance Pac 12.

o.jpg

Is there any evidence the LA market watches UCLA football on TV? Or USC for that matter? Their games might get more eyes from other markets. LA went without NFL football for - what - 20 years and no one seemed to care.
UCLA had several high rating games last year.

What it means is the B1G doesnt have to compete with the Pac12 anymore in LATV because all the content will now come from a single conference. No games on the ABC affiliate anymore or on ESPN. Thats good if your in the business of selling advertising slots.

I did say they were not much of a football school because they are giving tickets away and have an empty stadium.

That is the problem for UM. Like UM, Pasadena is far from the UCLA campus about an hour. Im not sure moving to SoFi helps a lot but it is 20 minutes closer and its very new. I guess it all depends on where the UCLA alums live.

When you work in LA, as I have, the daily drive can be soul crushing and when Saturday comes its really nice to spend a few minutes at home for a change.

Last edited:
The problem the PAC has is they do not have a true Blue Blood program anymore (B12 has the same issue). The PAC really only had one in the past with USC but also had several with high brand recognition - UCLA, Washington, Oregon and possibly CU (although tarnished over the past 20 years). In the meantime the Big10 and SEC have been consolidating the Blue Blood programs into there conference. This results in more attractive games for your conference during the season. I think the B12 sees this and is trying to do the same thing in Basketball.

You have to have something compelling to sell and right now the PAC does not have it, IMO.

Let’s be real, we loved the P12 in 2016.
Never got a real rivalry going, its hard to do when you dont win.
Never found any real hate for anyone in the PAC (except for SC and I had that from long ago) Hard to hate on people that dont care.
I can see us creating a real one with UA if they jump with us, maybe UH with all the Texas kids we can bring in.

Once we start kicking their a$$es they will all be rivals with all the B12 because they will hate us!
WIN! WIN!

The problem the PAC has is they do not have a true Blue Blood program anymore (B12 has the same issue). The PAC really only had one in the past with USC but also had several with high brand recognition - UCLA, Washington, Oregon and possibly CU (although tarnished over the past 20 years). In the meantime the Big10 and SEC have been consolidating the Blue Blood programs into there conference. This results in more attractive games for your conference during the season. I think the B12 sees this and is trying to do the same thing in Basketball.

You have to have something compelling to sell and right now the PAC does not have it, IMO.

I can only imagine if the P12 could have reeled in the remaining Big 8 schools in the B12 plus Texas Tech and perhaps SDSU. PAC versus the ACC.

I hope CU is ready to invest more resources into basketball.

Never got a real rivalry going, its hard to do when you dont win.
Never found any real hate for anyone in the PAC (except for SC and I had that from long ago) Hard to hate on people that dont care.
I can see us creating a real one with UA if they jump with us, maybe UH with all the Texas kids we can bring in.

Once we start kicking their a$$es they will all be rivals with all the B12 because they will hate us!
WIN! WIN!
The 2016 Utah game was a glimpse of what the rivalry could become.

Right. The networks look at the teams and see Oregon, Washington, Utah and maybe CU as teams they can truly market going forward. That’s a total of six games/year that might rate in the 2-4m viewer range IF they can guarantee all 4 teams play each other every season and all 4 are ranked at the same time.

There’s not enough marquee inventory for this conference and adding SDSU and SMU adds nothing.

The Big 12 isn’t much better in this regard but they’ve already secured their media deal. GK ****ed up.

Rumors of the day are pointing to The CW as the 'savior' for PAC media deal.

Biggest question I have is distribution. I keep hearing that each CW station has control over what they can broadcast.
If so, why would the CW in Tampa or Atlanta want to broadcast Oregon St vs Stanford for example?

Either way I'll be shocked if they are able to offer a deal that will pay enough $$

I don’t think UA is serious about the B12. This guy blabbing away in the media gives it away. In 2015 UConn had to sign a confidentiality agreement w/ the B12 during negotiations. I wonder if Saliman has done the same.

It might appear to be that way but again both AZ schools have been rumored to be leaving the P12 since CU joined. The UA president was noncommittal to the P12 based on his recent comments to Thamel. That's as far as any school president will go confidentiality agreement or no confidentiality agreement.

Rumors of the day are pointing to The CW as the 'savior' for PAC media deal.

Biggest question I have is distribution. I keep hearing that each CW station has control over what they can broadcast.
If so, why would the CW in Tampa or Atlanta want to broadcast Oregon St vs Stanford for example?

Either way I'll be shocked if they are able to offer a deal that will pay enough $$
Weird, I heard The Food Network was in play.

Back