What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Main takeaway from this one is the part about P12 is ready to move on w/ SDSU if we leave. The gist is we’re impatient (but doesn’t say why we are more so than other schools).

Oh and says UNC and UVa are coveted by SEC and B1G… bc they’re football powerhouses who have gone a combined 36yrs w/o an ACC championship. Good call networks. I’m sure that’ll work out.

Main takeaway from this one is the part about P12 is ready to move on w/ SDSU if we leave. The gist is we’re impatient (but doesn’t say why we are more so than other schools).

Oh and says UNC and UVa are coveted by SEC and B1G… bc they’re football powerhouses who have gone a combined 36yrs w/o an ACC championship. Good call networks. I’m sure that’ll work out.

FWIW- Flugar knew there was a big chance CU was going to meet in person with the Big12. He called it the 'Hot Bubble of Action.'
Right after the weekend of May 6-7 he came on his Pod Cast and said that 'IT' happened. Said that the PAC took a shot to the solar plexus.

This article mentions that CU met in person with the BIG12. Yesterday Flugar confirmed that this meeting was on May 7th.
Colorado met in Chicago.

Apparently CU after this meeting had a zoom a few week later and then met again in person again with the Big12 in California. Some hints it was in Newport.
Right around May 29th if I can recall.

Other than a big donor at ASU I don't know who else he has as sources but what he's been saying is all lining up.

FWIW- Flugar knew there was a big chance CU was going to meet in person with the Big12. He called it the 'Hot Bubble of Action.'
Right after the weekend of May 6-7 he came on his Pod Cast and said that 'IT' happened. Said that the PAC took a shot to the solar plexus.

This article mentions that CU met in person with the BIG12. Yesterday Flugar confirmed that this meeting was on May 7th.
Colorado met in Chicago.

Apparently CU after this meeting had a zoom a few week later and then met again in person again with the Big12 in California. Some hints it was in Newport.

Other than a big donor at ASU I don't know who else he has as sources but what he's been saying is all lining up.
Hot Bubble of Action🤪🥵👉🏾👌🏾🍆💦

Colorado met in Chicago.

The debate isn’t did we meet it’s why are we so impatient we’re willing to get paired w/ UConn? If it was w/ Utah, ASU, Arizona I could see the justification. But UConn? Memphis? These are bball schools. Independent fb programs. G5s. I can’t be the only one that sees this is a terrible idea or maybe I’m on crazy pills.

The debate isn’t did we meet it’s why are we so impatient we’re willing to get paired w/ UConn? If it was w/ Utah, ASU, Arizona I could see the justification. But UConn? Memphis? These are bball schools. Independent fb programs. G5s. I can’t be the only one that sees this is a terrible idea or maybe I’m on crazy pills.
Many expect that Arizona doesn't want to be the first but would gladly follow Colorado's lead.
Don't think Memphis is being considered though they wish they were.
Some think UConn is being used as a bargaining chip to scare ASU and Utah into going.
I'd be fine with UConn as a basketball only addition. Don't hate adding as football and other athletics.
They are THE state college, good academics, beautiful campus.

longer this plays out this way, the more it appears that this is a leverage play by CU. pretty simple, actually--- we don't want unequal anything relative to uw and uo and we need a certain cash threshold to operate on the budget we want. and, CU has the option to land somewhere. wsu and osu and maybe cal and stanford are ride or die members of the pac.

our guys appear to be doing their jobs. usc served us a **** sandwich and now we have to decide what toppings will make it taste less horrible.

I mean, it’s kind of possible that the AD staffers were informed of a change fully in the knowledge that it would get out that they did so. That could, in theory, be a tactic used by RG to apply pressure on the P12 to get something done. That’s next level 3-D chess, but he did manage to hire Prime, so who knows?

I mean, it’s kind of possible that the AD staffers were informed of a change fully in the knowledge that it would get out that they did so. That could, in theory, be a tactic used by RG to apply pressure on the P12 to get something done. That’s next level 3-D chess, but he did manage to hire Prime, so who knows?
Only thing I'm certain of with RG's running of the AD is that leaks don't happen unless and until he wants people outside his circle to know. He runs a frustratingly tight ship on this stuff.

The possibility RG is giving Kliavkoff a wedgie to make sure CU gets taken care of in the event the P12-2 survives is looking more and more likely.

Only thing I'm certain of with RG's running of the AD is that leaks don't happen unless and until he wants people outside his circle to know. He runs a frustratingly tight ship on this stuff.
Potentially it was targeted to secure the equal revenue share that was 'agreed' to via the GOR in principle they announced?

I’d love to believe RG learned how to play realignment poker. He’s a straight shooter so it’s a bit of a stretch to think he’s calculated enough to do that but not ruling it out.

Prime on the other hand… he was interviewed by Klatt. On recruiting, Prime mentioned Georgia, Alabama, Clemson as the standard. Florida and southeast recruiting. He was adamant that was the direction for CU. He never mentioned Texas. Klatt tried to push Texas but Prime didn’t go there. Seemed like an opportunity to talk up Texas via the B12 but he wasn’t interested at all.

I’d love to believe RG learned how to play realignment poker. He’s a straight shooter so it’s a bit of a stretch to think he’s calculated enough to do that but not ruling it out.

Prime on the other hand… he was interviewed by Klatt. On recruiting, Prime mentioned Georgia, Alabama, Clemson as the standard. Florida and southeast recruiting. He was adamant that was the direction for CU. He never mentioned Texas. Klatt tried to push Texas but Prime didn’t go there. Seemed like an opportunity to talk up Texas via the B12 but he wasn’t interested at all.
I don't think Prime particularly cares what conference he's in as long as there's a clear path to a national championship, CU games are getting national coverage, and the revenue coming in allows him the resources to compete. A game at UCF every 4 years has about zero impact on his ability to recruit Florida.

More like CU was going to join the Big 12 last week until the BOR meeting was cancelled. 11th hour move by the P12 to keep CU in the conference.

More like CU was going to join the Big 12 last week until the BOR meeting was cancelled. 11th hour move by the P12 to keep CU in the conference.
Maybe? It does seem like all indications were that CU had all but made up its mind to leave, to the point of actually telling AD staff to expect a move as soon as the Fall of 2024. Something has kept that from happening. Could have been a ploy to kick the P12 into action. Could have been legit, and the P12 finally decided to stop ****ing around.

Maybe? It does seem like all indications were that CU had all but made up its mind to leave, to the point of actually telling AD staff to expect a move as soon as the Fall of 2024. Something has kept that from happening. Could have been a ploy to kick the P12 into action. Could have been legit, and the P12 finally decided to stop ****ing around.
I don’t particularly like this guy but he posted this on Sat. Thought this was interesting.

We are close to the point in the timeline where it is said that ESPN could be ready to sign with the P12 but had to postpone last month due to optics....that was what was being said last month. The layoffs of the behind the scenes staff is about done and the on-air talent folks will be laid off soon.

NBA has two more seasons under that ESPN deal and I think that is a major reason why ESPN hasn't been too committed to making a deal with the P12. There is a strong likelihood that the NBA will expand to Seattle & Las Vegas very soon and that would drive the cost of doing business with the NBA up. Apple is another company that is interested in those NBA rights and that explains why the P12 has struggled to land a media rights deal. Amazon is said to be interested in those NBA rights as well.

Looks like a combination of the networks trying to kill off one P5 conference plus the timing of the NBA media rights has played a factor in why the P12 has been slow in this case.

Marchand and Ourand had a brief comment on the Pac 12 today, basically major linear players are unlikely and unlikely they can match Big 12 numbers. "I'd be very surprised, very surprised if they got the same deal from ESPN as the Big 12."

Also mentioned Apple may not even be in on a deal because they want all or nothing.

Discussion at 38.42

Last edited:
We’ve spent the better part of a decade, some of you far longer, discussing how vital it is to recruit “in footprint”.

If you haven’t noticed, we aren’t going after many Cali, Arizona, Utah and Washington kids with Prime at HC.
This is interesting.

The ”footprint” idea was premised on the assumption that our best chance to actually get high quality recruits who would stick after committing would be from the within the “footprint.” It is a—now outdated—reality that CU had not been able to recruit nationally, or from some other areas, with any consistency. We hadn’t done so in decades.

HCP changes all prior metrics up front, and yet we may settle into a “footprint” eventually again. I doubt it will be the same limited one we’ve focused on before.

This is interesting.

The ”footprint” idea was premised on the assumption that our best chance to actually get high quality recruits who would stick after committing would be from the within the “footprint.” It is a—now outdated—reality that CU had not been able to recruit nationally, or from some other areas, with any consistency. We hadn’t done so in decades.

HCP changes all prior metrics up front, and yet we may settle into a “footprint” eventually again. I doubt it will be the same limited one we’ve focused on before.
For decades CU has settled on sub-par coaches with zero recruiting ability. Juice Box, Embree, HCMM, and Kardboard. None of them had any idea on how to recruit above G5 talent.

Marchand and Ourand had a brief comment on the Pac 12 today, basically major linear players are unlikely and unlikely they can match Big 12 numbers. "I'd be very surprised, very surprised if they got the same deal from ESPN as the Big 12."

Also mentioned Apple may not even be in on a deal because they want all or nothing.

Discussion at 38.42

Marchand: ESPN is unlikely
Ourand: I wouldn’t say no, more like a smaller package
Marchand: If they do something w/ P12 it’ll be for $20M per school
Ourand: They’ll have to cobble together the package

Marchand goes from $0 to $20M in 10s. He doesn’t know s***. They’re all just guessing.

For decades CU has settled on sub-par coaches with zero recruiting ability. Juice Box, Embree, HCMM, and Kardboard. None of them had any idea on how to recruit above G5 talent.

through the tenure of the coaches you mention above, recruiting has dramatically and fundamentally changed. every program has access to more data and the ability in theory to recruit nationally now. there are basically no more hidden gems. there are late bloomers and such but every program has far more access to reliable data than they used to.

the traditional powers who were able to capitalize on this (and who are also in great natural footprints) have had great success this way. bama, uga, clemson, michigan, and ohio state in particular have recruited lights out by leveraging national recruiting augmented by in footprint quality.

and, at the elite-elite level, the ability to augment national recruiting with the best quality in footprint guys has been the difference maker and why usc, uo, and uw have not been able to break through yet. this is why usc and uo hired the coaches that they hired-- go get more dogs from out of footprint because there are not enough dogs in footprint.

hawkins faced different challenges and recruited mostly about where we would expect at the time to recruit. if he had won, we would have been fine. embree knew what the roster needed to look like but he and staff were not ready or able to get the guys in. mm is a good coach but couldn't pull enough national guys as the talent was concentrating at winning programs to sustain anything. kd is the real outlier here. i am not sure what his strategy was, other than to pretend NIL didn't exist and that he could develop players himself. absolutely the wrong coach at the wrong time.

CU cannot recruit the way it did under Mac and win now. that era is over. Prime is a real-deal difference maker and his ability to pull guys nationally is unique. for us to sustain this, we need to win games. of course.

so far, Prime is the right coach at the right time and it is beautiful!

Marchand: ESPN is unlikely
Ourand: I wouldn’t say no, more like a smaller package
Marchand: If they do something w/ P12 it’ll be for $20M per school
Ourand: They’ll have to cobble together the package

Marchand goes from $0 to $20M in 10s. He doesn’t know s***. They’re all just guessing.
If ESPN had offered a good deal it would have already been signed by now.
Don't pretend that the PAC is sitting in a good position, they aren't.

If ESPN had offered a good deal it would have already been signed by now.
Don't pretend that the PAC is sitting in a good position, they aren't.
Nothing is being signed individually. It's an collective media rights deal where each media partner's rights and payouts are contingent on the agreement with the others.

The point is, Marchand doesn't know anything.

Nothing is being signed individually. It's an collective media rights deal where each media partner's rights and payouts are contingent on the agreement with the others.

The point is, Marchand doesn't know anything.
Exactly that plus no one over here is pretending to know what the situation looks like. We don’t know.

On timing, I do know this shouldn’t go past June 30 bc of SDSU. If there is a deal, would it be announced first then expansion a week later? They’ve said that’s the plan but time is running out.

If there is space needed then end of this week and next week are as late as it can go in order to have a buffer.

Back