What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Especially if fans down south are shelling out the cash for game tickets in bigger numbers than most of the nation?

For people from the south, three things matter: college football, pro wrestling, and NASCAR. Wrestling already went streaming awhile back and college football is starting to do streaming. NASCAR hasn't done much of that due to their old contract but that ends in several years and they will be on streaming.

Can't feel sorry for those people who might have to give up a case of Marlboros or two in order to afford streaming.

Sounds like you need to visit some of the upcoming and progressive cities in the South like Greenville, Charleston, Boone, or Birmingham.

Agenda Item Details
Meeting
Jul 12, 2023 - Summer Retreat/Board Meeting (Wednesday - Friday, July 12-14, 2023)
Category
3:00 - 5:30 p.m. WEDNESDAY, JULY 12, 2023 CALL TO ORDER/EXECUTIVE SESSION, Chair Callie Rennison presiding - Seminar 3
Subject
3:00 - 5:30 p.m. Executive Session - Seminar 3
Type
ACTION
Recommended Action
RESOLVED that the Board of Regents go into executive session. As permitted by §24-6-402 (3), Colorado Revised Statutes, the board will discuss the following matters as announced and pursuant to the subsection listed below:
• (b)(I), Personnel matter at CU System - Board operations
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - Supreme Court decision on affirmative action in admissions
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - Regent Policy 10 revisions
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - Update on Supreme Court cases
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - CU Boulder athletics update

3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Regents, President, VP Dinegar, and VP Radovich Piper only
3:30 - 5:30 p.m. Regents, President, Chancellors, Executive Team

Probably a nothing burger, however this last item • (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - CU Boulder athletics update
was added last night at the last minute. It wasn't originally on the docket.

Agenda Item Details
Meeting
Jul 12, 2023 - Summer Retreat/Board Meeting (Wednesday - Friday, July 12-14, 2023)
Category
3:00 - 5:30 p.m. WEDNESDAY, JULY 12, 2023 CALL TO ORDER/EXECUTIVE SESSION, Chair Callie Rennison presiding - Seminar 3
Subject
3:00 - 5:30 p.m. Executive Session - Seminar 3
Type
ACTION
Recommended Action
RESOLVED that the Board of Regents go into executive session. As permitted by §24-6-402 (3), Colorado Revised Statutes, the board will discuss the following matters as announced and pursuant to the subsection listed below:
• (b)(I), Personnel matter at CU System - Board operations
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - Supreme Court decision on affirmative action in admissions
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - Regent Policy 10 revisions
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - Update on Supreme Court cases
• (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - CU Boulder athletics update

3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Regents, President, VP Dinegar, and VP Radovich Piper only
3:30 - 5:30 p.m. Regents, President, Chancellors, Executive Team

Probably a nothing burger, however this last item • (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - CU Boulder athletics update
was added last night at the last minute. It wasn't originally on the docket.
$10 says it's some update to the Nike contract given the Prime news on that front last week.

more b12 crap.

we don't know the state of the negotiations. you want to assume the worst because you want the really hot girl to go out with you when we have no other choice.

what kill shot?

a conference with uo, uw, stan, cal, uu, and us is viable. full stop. the pac took a hit but only time will tell if it is a kill shot.

there is no proof the deal being negotiated is worse or better than whatever was previously discussed.

you willing things to be a certain way do not make them true.

the way this has gone, i think it is safe to surmise something changed. we don't know what that something is.

and, thanks, baby, for the being there for us if we need a backup date.
It will be a kill shot. Regardless of what happens this round, Oregon and Washington are looking for a way out, and I would say are ahead of Colorado for a spot in the BIG. This media deal is a band-aid to keep the PAC alive for another 5-6 years. Band-aids don't fix bullet holes.

I assume the worst because your conference has demonstrated inept leadership over the last decade.

The whole SDSU thing makes this even weirder. Maybe they're incompetent, but I can't imagine why you send their mid June letter to the MW unless you're sure you're getting an invite. Doesn't sound like Big XII interest was ever there, and I'm wondering if the Pac pulled the rug out from under them.because they don't move the needle.

I'm not trying to will anything into existence, just reading the tea leaves as I see them. Seems to me some people here are too busy chugging Kool-Aid. Realistically, if you guys stick with the Pac now, I'm guessing your money will be about what the Big XII is. I won't speculate if that is before or after Comcast payments, Pac 12 Network costs are factored in. You stick together for another 5 years or so, and then Oregon and Washington get their BIG invite. At that point, ACC probably gets eaten by the SEC/BIG/Big XII, and you guys could get into the Big XII, probably on reduced shares.

I also believe media deal have topped out. The next SEC and BIG deal won't be as large. wouldn't shock me if they stopped dropping some brands (Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Mississippi State) to get some bigger names. Maybe you guys can sneak in that way.

Maybe the more people learn about concussions, parents quit letting their kids play, and footballs popularity becomes very regional (South and Midwest). Maybe football isn't the cash cow that it is now and basketball takes it's place. At that point the Big XII would be the place to be. But I digress; that's a long ways off.

It will be a kill shot. Regardless of what happens this round, Oregon and Washington are looking for a way out, and I would say are ahead of Colorado for a spot in the BIG. This media deal is a band-aid to keep the PAC alive for another 5-6 years. Band-aids don't fix bullet holes.

I assume the worst because your conference has demonstrated inept leadership over the last decade.

The whole SDSU thing makes this even weirder. Maybe they're incompetent, but I can't imagine why you send their mid June letter to the MW unless you're sure you're getting an invite. Doesn't sound like Big XII interest was ever there, and I'm wondering if the Pac pulled the rug out from under them.because they don't move the needle.

I'm not trying to will anything into existence, just reading the tea leaves as I see them. Seems to me some people here are too busy chugging Kool-Aid. Realistically, if you guys stick with the Pac now, I'm guessing your money will be about what the Big XII is. I won't speculate if that is before or after Comcast payments, Pac 12 Network costs are factored in. You stick together for another 5 years or so, and then Oregon and Washington get their BIG invite. At that point, ACC probably gets eaten by the SEC/BIG/Big XII, and you guys could get into the Big XII, probably on reduced shares.

I also believe media deal have topped out. The next SEC and BIG deal won't be as large. wouldn't shock me if they stopped dropping some brands (Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Mississippi State) to get some bigger names. Maybe you guys can sneak in that way.

Maybe the more people learn about concussions, parents quit letting their kids play, and footballs popularity becomes very regional (South and Midwest). Maybe football isn't the cash cow that it is now and basketball takes it's place. At that point the Big XII would be the place to be. But I digress; that's a long ways off.
The ACC has 13 years left in their GOR. I'm not sure why anything would change for them in 5-6 years, short of getting at least 8 members to agree to dissolve the conference, and even then I'm not entirely sure what that would mean for their actually media rights

Maybe the more people learn about concussions, parents quit letting their kids play, and footballs popularity becomes very regional (South and Midwest). Maybe football isn't the cash cow that it is now and basketball takes it's place. At that point the Big XII would be the place to be.

What exactly are you saying here? LOL.

The ACC has 13 years left in their GOR. I'm not sure why anything would change for them in 5-6 years, short of getting at least 8 members to agree to dissolve the conference, and even then I'm not entirely sure what that would mean for their actually media rights
I am aware of that, but considering they have people trying to get out now, who knows what could happen then. Their deal is terrible and that isn't going to change. People will want out, might get their ducks in a row between the other 3 conferences, and could vote to dissolve. Should be interesting.

California HS Activities Association has already noted declining football participation YoY for several years now. That against the backdrop of increasing participation total numbers. I.e. Boys are being directed into different sports.

For the sixth consecutive season, 11-man participation levels for high school football in California have declined, according to the annual CIF participation survey.

There was no survey done in 2020-21 because of the pandemic. For 2021-22, 84,626 played football, down from 89,756 in 2019-20 and down from 91,305 in 2018-19. There has been a decline every season since 2015.

The more people learn about the long term effects of concussions, the less likely parents are to let their kids play football. I'm seeing it happen and I live in rural Wisconsin. It's an expensive sport and with school budgets being as tight as they are, I could see high schools drop it. If that talent well dries up, what happens to CFB? And the the NFL? Football has been a money printing machine for decades, and i think that will start to change

Over the course of the next 20-30 years, I would not be shocked if football's popularity dropped, and basketball took the top spot. If that were the case, and the Big XII maintained its spot as the top basketball conference, that would be the one to be in.

Wild speculation, I know. But we are talking out our asses here.

The more people learn about the long term effects of concussions, the less likely parents are to let their kids play football. I'm seeing it happen and I live in rural Wisconsin. It's an expensive sport and with school budgets being as tight as they are, I could see high schools drop it. If that talent well dries up, what happens to CFB? And the the NFL? Football has been a money printing machine for decades, and i think that will start to change

Over the course of the next 20-30 years, I would not be shocked if football's popularity dropped, and basketball took the top spot. If that were the case, and the Big XII maintained its spot as the top basketball conference, that would be the one to be in.

Wild speculation, I know. But we are talking out our asses here.
Really, basketball and soccer are the easiest sports to fund, are safer than other major sports in regard to head injury risk, and have equal gender participation. It's certainly going to be the trend, just like through the WW2 era the most popular American sports were boxing and baseball - things change.

Really, basketball and soccer are the easiest sports to fund, are safer than other major sports in regard to head injury risk, and have equal gender participation. It's certainly going to be the trend, just like through the WW2 era the most popular American sports were boxing and baseball - things change.
100% agree. Football won't go away, but it's going to become MUCH more regional and won't be the cash cow it has been. I'm thankful I live in a region I think it will stay popular.

I also hate to see soccer's popularity rise. Can't stand the sport. Glad I've got hockey here in the great white north.

At what point will the decline in participation hurt the product. As my son told me, the neighbor boys decided against playing football this year because "it wasn't worth the grind" for little to no playing time.

100% agree. Football won't go away, but it's going to become MUCH more regional and won't be the cash cow it has been. I'm thankful I live in a region I think it will stay popular.

I also hate to see soccer's popularity rise. Can't stand the sport. Glad I've got hockey here in the great white north.
Why would you care if soccer popularity rises? I don’t really care for it either but it’s pretty easy just to not watch it, or pay attention to it.

Why would you care if soccer popularity rises? I don’t really care for it either but it’s pretty easy just to not watch it, or pay attention to it.
Because as it's popularity rises I will hear about it more regardless of if I try to avoid it

I've never watched anything with the Kardashians but still know things about them. I've never gone out of my way to listen to Justin Bieber but could still identify soem of his songs. I also realize this is an, "Old man yells at clouds" moment, and am OK with that.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

At what point will the decline in participation hurt the product. As my son told me, the neighbor boys decided against playing football this year because "it wasn't worth the grind" for little to no playing time.
The number of HS participants in football (2020 stats), nationwide, was just over 1m. That's about the same number of participants in basketball, soccer and lacrosse combined, and I would imagine that many of the football participants also play basketball.

Furthermore, the percentage of HS football players who go on to play at any level of college is ~7%. The percentage that go D1 is ~3%. Since D1 also includes FCS and G5, I would venture to guess that <1% of all HS football players end up going to a P5 program where most NFL players come from.

Basically, there is a LONG way to go for football to be overtaken as the most participated in High School sport, and it would take a full on collapse of the sport to cease having D1 and NFL football.

more baseless assumptions...

you assume that at some future date, the only outcome will be uw and uo to go to the big and us somehow begging the truck stop 12 to please baby give us another chance.

you assume that the pac pulled sdsu's offer but we do not know that.

you assume you know the landscape of the tv and sports market in what is a highly fluid environment and could change dramatically.

it is just and i think perhaps more likely that the next round of reshuffling is bigger than the big and sec. there are a whole lot of programs with money, power, and prestige outside those 2 existing conferences. and there are natural incentives at work among those conferences to not **** with everyone else when the next round happens.

i am almost wishing isu was the 5th down game at this point so i could lather up a hate for isu, but honestly you guys are mostly irrelevant. you aren't driving the train and in the next round, you won't have any voice in the outcome. ... just like every other time.

Shocking that a sport with 60+ man rosters would have the same participation rate as three sports with 15-20 man rosters.
Back when I was in HS, I think it was more than that. We had enough football participation to have full rosters for freshman, JV and varsity teams. Other sports were thin below the varsity level with guys having to play on more than one team.

Back when I was in HS, I think it was more than that. We had enough football participation to have full rosters for freshman, JV and varsity teams. Other sports were thin below the varsity level with guys having to play on more than one team.
Agreed. I’m not willing to research it, but I’d assume the overall participation rate in football is and has been declining for many years. My point above was to show that comparing the participation rate of football to another sport you should factor in roster sizes.

My hs sucked at football. Probably why we had about 35 guys on our varisty team and had no jv squad.

Agreed. I’m not willing to research it, but I’d assume the overall participation rate in football is and has been declining for many years. My point above was to show that comparing the participation rate of football to another sport you should factor in roster sizes.
I mean, whether participation has been declining or not, the point is that participation in football still dwarfs that of other major sports and the pool of which colleges and ultimately the NFL has to pull from will remain robust, short of a complete collapse of the sport.

Back