What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

And angry
Will Ferrell Elf GIF by filmeditor

The point I'm addressing and spitballing is that if:

1. The Pac stays together; and,

2. The Pac stays at the current 10 for football; and,

3. The media deal were to leave PACN in place as its own entity; then,

4. CU would own 10% of a broadcast network for college sports it would need to grow without being able to add football content; so,

5. Becoming in-market in states which are not currently in-market but have passionate hoops fans, iconic arenas, respected tradition, would not increase travel and other operating costs for the non-football sports offerings, increase the total volume of original content on the network, and pass the academic peer sniff test by being R1 institutions...

might create incremental growth for that network and overall revenue for members while maintaining conference identity.

Or the numbers wouldn't work to make it worthwhile for the Pac-10 or the deal would not work for the invitees or any of the assumed variables in this hypothetical change to render this moot.

Last edited:
So…. We are into PAC12 media days, right?

No clue as to what media has an interest in our rights? No numbers?

Bueller? Bueller?

Nik please get off the drugs! None and I repeat none gives the pac anymore more relevance and exposure. New, Mexico, Vegas and San diego? Man you are really reaching! could we pull in montana, s and n Dakota ? How about Canada? if it wasn’t for uncle Phil. Even Oregon would be an after thought.
Canada and Mexico would be a coup.

DiStefano told the Denver Post that figures for a potential TV contract were expected to be shared Thursday.

That was never the case, according to those within the league.

Why did DiStefano make such a comment? Was he using it as a tool to put pressure on the commissioner? Some believe that to be the case.

Impatience is growing.

“We need to see numbers,” said one conference official.

Didn't I mention this yesterday right off the bat? Some were laughing at the idea. Hmmm...

Last edited:
we still know nothing but everyone assumes whatever they are going to assume based upon their own biases and belief systems.

basically, this is a snapshot of divided america.

which, as i mentioned previously, @Fred 2 hates.

Sad Charlie Brown GIF

Sounds like Oregon thinks they can take USC's spot as the league cockblocker.
this is why CU had to create optionality by dancing with the b12. oregon wants to be usc. oregon is not usc. they are getting that message delivered to them by the media, the conferences, and by programs like ours.

stay or go, we will be fine.

All Good Comedy GIF by CBS

This could be a big deal.

"I'm not going to tell you where our media deals are coming in," Kliavkoff told 247Sports at Pac-12's media day. "It will be enough for them to all sign their grant of rights. That's the important kind of milestone."

Other TV partners have reportedly entered the fold in recent weeks as discussions for the Pac-12's media rights stretches into an 11th month. FOX is among them, according to sources.

Hearing that FOX wants Washington and Oregon and that FS1 late night slot
is one way they can get them. Would this be enough to keep the PAC together?

Last edited:

"I'm not going to tell you where our media deals are coming in," Kliavkoff told 247Sports at Pac-12's media day. "It will be enough for them to all sign their grant of rights. That's the important kind of milestone."

Other TV partners have reportedly entered the fold in recent weeks as discussions for the Pac-12's media rights stretches into an 11th month. FOX is among them, according to sources.

After 13 months of being told FOX is not at the table.

Dennis Dodd triggered in 3, 2, 1

I'm not sure that a 2nd team in eastern Washington buys you much even if they are elite in men's hoops. Big East media deal is about $5M per school even with UConn, Nova and a bunch of huge markets. I'm more thinking about expanding PACN carriage into new states without burdensome travel for Olympic sports.

Wouldn't Zaga still be cheaper than a MWC school when it comes to conference payouts?

Taking UNM & UNLV out of the MWC could be enough to cause the MWC to invite North & South Dakota State and with either team, going through a MWC schedule is much easier to get an automatic playoff bid than in the P12. Some of those years, that could cost the P12 not only a playoff spot but also playoff money. We just have to be careful in how we weaken the MWC. In that case, we just take one school and that would be UNLV.

Interesting quote below:

The Pac-12's media negotiations have been peppered by rumors, innuendo and reporting filled with anonymous sourcing. Most of the criticism has been fired by the Big 12's members and fans. "I could have spent the last year on a he-said, she-said on every rumor that has been passed on our conference," Kliavkoff said. "We decided to take the high road."

Wouldn't Zaga still be cheaper than a MWC school when it comes to conference payouts?

Taking UNM & UNLV out of the MWC could be enough to cause the MWC to invite North & South Dakota State and with either team, going through a MWC schedule is much easier to get an automatic playoff bid than in the P12. Some of those years, that could cost the P12 not only a playoff spot but also playoff money. We just have to be careful in how we weaken the MWC. In that case, we just take one school and that would be UNLV.
The scenario did not take them for football. They'd be football-only in the MWC as I believe Hawaii is.

P12 might be going back to eight game conference schedules next season. GK talked about a pod system and that was before USC & UCLA left. This is pretty workable since we could see three different pods in the P10:

-NW schools.
-4C schools.
-Cali schools.

There will be one trip to the Bay Area every year so we have ourselves a Cali trip. We would face all the other 4C schools and three out of four NW schools.

Maybe this is one reason why the money isn't there for the PAC. But would that mean better CFP chances every year which leads to more CFP money?

The scenario did not take them for football. They'd be football-only in the MWC as I believe Hawaii is.

I do not think the MWC will be amenable to that. Independence in football is a much more likely outcome in that case along with a scheduling alliance with the PAC.

That would reduce the MWC to 9 full time members. Hawaii is interested in a full MWC membership and then the MWC invites Gonzaga for all sports except football. That might be enough to keep NDSU & SoDSU in FCS football for the time being but the CUSA could be interested.

P12 might be going back to eight game conference schedules next season. GK talked about a pod system and that was before USC & UCLA left. This is pretty workable since we could see three different pods in the P10:

-NW schools.
-4C schools.
-Cali schools.

There will be one trip to the Bay Area every year so we have ourselves a Cali trip. We would face all the other 4C schools and three out of four NW schools.

Maybe this is one reason why the money isn't there for the PAC. But would that mean better CFP chances every year which leads to more CFP money?
That math doesn't work

Preferable to a nine game conference schedule in the Truck Stop Conference.
For 8 conference games, the cleanest setup is 12 teams with 2 divisions. 14 with 3 fixed rivals also works. So I think if K is talking an 8 game schedule then he's talking expansion.

Back