What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

this is why CU had to create optionality by dancing with the b12. oregon wants to be usc. oregon is not usc. they are getting that message delivered to them by the media, the conferences, and by programs like ours.

stay or go, we will be fine.

All Good Comedy GIF by CBS
Canzano and Wilner have both argued for San Diego State and SMU joining. I'm sure they've likely gotten some inkling of those two making some sense financially or they're not doing that. SMU in this conference would be very, very beneficial to CU for recruiting. We're the closest Pac 12 school to them, the "Rumble in the Rockies" or whatever the dumb name is isn't working, and Utah and San Diego State have recent history. SMU in this league would make me want to stay-I'll take a conference game in Dallas every other year and a basketball game there every year. Free exposure in one of our most important recruiting grounds.

Mandel mentioned two schools being against expansion because of a) easier access to the CFP and b) fewer mouths for playoff revenue in the piece he put out in the Athletic today. Two things stand out to me about that. One, he said nothing about the Pac 12 not having expansion candidates who would not bring financial value to the conference. If that were the case, he'd have wrote it. Two, easier access to the CFP narrows it down to basically Oregon and Washington.

If I'm CU, I'm telling the league expand as a part of the new deal and give us SMU as a travel partner or we're gone.

This could be a big deal.

"I'm not going to tell you where our media deals are coming in," Kliavkoff told 247Sports at Pac-12's media day. "It will be enough for them to all sign their grant of rights. That's the important kind of milestone."

Other TV partners have reportedly entered the fold in recent weeks as discussions for the Pac-12's media rights stretches into an 11th month. FOX is among them, according to sources.

Hearing that FOX wants Washington and Oregon and that FS1 late night slot
is one way they can get them. Would this be enough to keep the PAC together?
Wilner has been right on that 8pm MT kick slot. We hate it as fans, but the TV execs want content for it. Fox knows its going to get dominated there if all its showing is Boise State and a couple BYU home games. Buying 1-2 Pac 12 games a week makes a ton of sense for them, and Prime might be a part of it. They made a fairly big bet on him right away putting us Big Noon against TCU and the Nubs.

Last edited:
You have white ivory tower administrators calling the shots! Most if any know anything about the real world let alone have ever worked in it. They are all elitist west coast snobs with no business acumen whatsoever. including uncle Phil.

Phil went to West Virginia. Try again?

You have white ivory tower administrators calling the shots! Most if any know anything about the real world let alone have ever worked in it. They are all elitist west coast snobs with no business acumen whatsoever. including uncle Phil.
This is false. The University of Colorado (also known as “CU”) does not use ivory. The Tuscan Vernacular Revival architecture uses local sandstone.

Last edited:
I only watch GK's comments today, but I didn't think it was a very good look for him or the conference. It makes more sense why he's been silent since February. Was funny how his bluster from last year was replaced by sunshine pumping.

There were a few quotes about "patience being rewarded" thrown about. It seems like that patience is akin to some girls at a bar looking hotter at 1:30A l, as opposed to how they looked at 10:30P.

The only constant in the Pac 12 since you guys joined has been mismanagement. Maybe GK will pull a rabbit out of his hat, but is it reasonable to think that will happen? I don't think so.

Sucks CP couldn't attend; that would have been fun to watch. Hope he recovers well from his surgery.

This is false. The University of Colorado (also known as “CU”) does not use ivory. The Tuscan Vernacular Revival architecture uses local sandstone.
One of my CU profs (Paul Miller) called the CU architecture “faux Florentine”.

I mean, I agree with Oregon. Unless there is a substantial monetary incentive to add SDSU and SMU (or any others), I don’t see any upside in it. This conference is temporary so why add more mouths to feed in recruiting and on the field?
Interesting point I hadn't really thought of. My assumption was everyone here thinks the PAC is here forever, UW and UO don't leave. Maybe you add a couple schools and then move forward. I know there is a lot of talk of UO and UW moving on the very second they get an offer from the B1G, if ever. Which I agree with.

The point is how many here see the PAC as a temporary conference just biding time until UO and UW leave?

Interesting point I hadn't really thought of. My assumption was everyone here thinks the PAC is here forever, UW and UO don't leave. Maybe you add a couple schools and then move forward. I know there is a lot of talk of UO and UW moving on the very second they get an offer from the B1G, if ever. Which I agree with.

The point is how many here see the PAC as a temporary conference just biding time until UO and UW leave?
I don’t know anyone here who believes the Pac is more than a temporary situation, barring something unforeseen happening like SC and UCLA coming back after this B1G contract or a complete revamping of the sport

When I said that George should do what Judy did with the CUSA. Wait till the last minute and do a deal. She ended up with a massively better deal than she had a year previously.

This seems odd to me but I can also see how it could work because some of the media networks are for sale.

FOX: Big Ten: Fox will carry 24-27 football games in 2023 and 30-32 games from the 2024 through the 2029 seasons
MWC: 23 games per-season​
BigXII: 26 football games per season that will run on Fox broadcast network and FS1 after ESPN picks​
Looks very full
CBS: Big Ten: 7 football games in 2023 and 14-15 games for the 2024 through 2029
Balance of MWC games after FOX​
??? After final SEC 2023 season
NBC: 16 games in 2023 and 14-15 games from 2024 through the 2029 season. “Big Ten Saturday Night”
5 Notre Dame home games.​
??? What goes between BTSN and ND game? Or when ND is an away game?
ESPN: SEC exclusive 2024, shares SEC with CBS in 2023
BigXII Primary: top 4 football picks each season, 6 of the top 8 picks, 8 of the top 12 picks and 12 of the top 20 picks.​
Looks pretty full
ABC: If separated from ESPN and sold by Disney (along with FX, NatGeo, FreeForm?) as Iger indicated will possibly have no CFB.

Rumor: Iger wants to sell part of ESPN and all of ABC plus its other linear networks. Comcast is rumored to be interested and might get some of ESPN. Comcast owns NBC which would likely mean that some of ESPNs content would end up on NBC instead of ABC.

Amazon, Apple: rumored to be bidding on P12 content. They could also be interested or involved in buying Disneys castoffs. Iger seems less interested in selling ESPN to a streaming competitor.
This situation leaves ABC in complete limbo and NBC, ESPN, in some limbo. And raises questions about Amazon and or Apple’s role in some of these deals. Once resolved some more media rights might fall into place. An independent ABC could be desperate for content.

There are strong brands in the conference and there were several highly rated games last fall. The inventory is valuable from a ratings perspective. Because of the moving pieces above that could be part of why there is hesitancy to buy P12 rights. Once some chips land things could be very different when things are settled.

Last edited:
There were a few quotes about "patience being rewarded" thrown about. It seems like that patience is akin to some girls at a bar looking hotter at 1:30A l, as opposed to how they looked at 10:30P.

It’s binary.

<10 teeth = B12 girl
>10 teeth = P12 girl

I don’t know anyone here who believes the Pac is more than a temporary situation, barring something unforeseen happening like SC and UCLA coming back after this B1G contract or a complete revamping of the sport
There are some big questions about the future. I dont think the Pac is temporary.

The media landscape is shifting. Streaming is ascendent, cable/sat declining. But the pool of money from this change might not be the size it was with cable/sat to buy sports. Streaming might not even need sports to gain viewers based on the habits of the younger generations.

At 16 teams the scheduling challenges will become apparent. This Flex Protect Plus scheduling might be genius or might go badly. Some rivalries could fade under this model. And nine games instead of eight plus a CCG makes the pathway to the CFP even harder to achieve.

Watch NU. Im sure they love the money. But they cant recruit no matter who they hire and theyve been a nobody in the Big10 since joining. If the Pac10 stays at 10 and has one team make the CFP every year NU and maybe a few others start to look for an easier place to play where they have a chance to dominate again. As for USC and UCLA, they can join the MWC when they also quit the Big Ten ;)

Hello CSU rams!

I’d be in favor of NEVER playing any Big Ten schools as an outright ban for what they did. Most Especially UCLA and USC. Kick their visiting faculty off all our campuses too.

The MWC has plenty of teams that we can schedule and could make a better regional partner. Im sure the ACC and BigXII and maybe the SEC could also be willing.
That’d stink to lose a chance at Nebraska every so often. Though, maybe working the way up the SEC gauntlet could be beneficial to the perception of “We Comin’”

Hello CSU rams!

I’d be in favor of NEVER playing any Big Ten schools as an outright ban for what they did. Most Especially UCLA and USC. Kick their visiting faculty off all our campuses too.

The MWC has plenty of teams that we can schedule and could make a better regional partner. Im sure the ACC and BigXII and maybe the SEC could also be willing.
Hahahahahahahaha. Yeah let's boycott playing the conference we're trying to get into when this is all said and done.

Last edited:
I mean, I agree with Oregon. Unless there is a substantial monetary incentive to add SDSU and SMU (or any others), I don’t see any upside in it. This conference is temporary so why add more mouths to feed in recruiting and on the field?
I agree, too. A lot of mixed messages yesterday though. GK on stage remarks made it seem like they vetted members and know what they want to do.

Personally I’m more interested in SMU than SDSU. One school were not talking about is USF.

-AAU
-50K enrollment
-Largest pop growth in US
-Florida recruiting footprint
-New stadium coming (meh but still)

Geography presents a challenge but they check a lot of interesting boxes. Probably best upside of all remaining G5s.

Texas + Florida + SoCal? Seems like good strategic adds.

Back