What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Sooo... We made it through media day(s)... with no mention of media money? That's a good sign, right? ;)

Just checking. (I can't keep up with 508 pages... and growing... lol)

Where's 🍎?

Theyre late to the party. But they have the biggest war chest $$$.

I think they thought they could use the iTunes model of ‘others peoples content’ paid royalties and distributed on an Apple platform. I think Amazon and Netflix have shown them you have to get into the content creation business because content is now being taken in house (Paramount, Peacock, HBO, etc). Outside of Ted Lasso Apple hasn't had a hit and are last to enter the game with sports content until picking up the MLS. They supposedly helped pay for Messi to Inter Miami by the way.

Last edited:
Theyre late to the party. But they have the biggest war chest $$$.

I think they thought they could use the iTunes model of ‘others peoples content’ paid royalties and distributed on an Apple platform. I think Amazon and Netflix have shown them you have to get into the content creation business because content is now being taken in house (Paramount, Peacock, HBO, etc). Outside of Ted Lasso Apple hasn't had a hit and are last to enter the game with sports content until picking up the MLS. They supposedly helped pay for Messi to Inter Miami by the way.
Spend time watching Swagger on Apple+, pretty decent look at AAU type basketball with Ice Cube’s son in it. Directed by a couple NBA guys, even Kevin Durant. Decent sports show. No Ted Lasso, but AB’ers will like it

Breaking news coming in 3…..2…..1

If we are really waiting on Disney/ESPN to finalize sales and partnerships with other entities, it’ll be several months still. I’m in favor of waiting, as the Big 12 will take us literally any time we decide to go, but I don’t know that those in charge won’t panic jump before we reach that point.

IF true they won't be coming alone whether that is with CU or someone else..

It is worded very specifically, they will “announce their invitation” is nothing more than acknowledging the Big 12 has officially invited them. I’m pretty sure they have officially invited the entire Pac 12 also.

It wouldn't surprise me. It's hard to get the others to leave. Colorado realizes if it wants to be massive, it needs football to be successful

I think RG has to be seriously considering just how much money he’s willing to give up to avoid the B12.

Bold prediction: the Pac-12's new media deal catches the front of a sports programming distribution wave and escalators make it shockingly lucrative.

Bold prediction Part Deux: due to all the challenges in their new conferences, in 5 years announcements are made that UCLA, USC, OU, and UT are joining the Pac.

Bold prediction Part Tre: at the same time, Coach Prime decides to extend his contract and coach until he's 65 in pursuit of passing Osborne and Switzer on the total national champions all-time list.

(Damn is that THC capsule hitting hard tonight.)

I think RG has to be seriously considering just how much money he’s willing to give up to avoid the B12.
RG won’t be giving up anything. The real question is how much of a deficit in AD funding is Saliman willing/able to accommodate. It will be a change to how the university operates because the university will need to fund the AD more directly. Would the university system give the AD $30m more a year if it meant not losing potentially 100s of millions of reaearch partnerships within the PAC10. Probably. Those numbers are completely made up, but there’s a decision point where it makes a lot more sense for the university to spend a few more bucks on the AD rather than lose quite a few more bucks in research for the rest of the departments or in alumni interaction/donations or any other number of levers that may be pulled.

Also, if Yormark is inviting UCONN, I’d bet that means no Pac10 defections and he’s accepted he needs to become the new big east and just try to own basketball. Just admitting the the BigXII is and always will be second fiddle in football.

RG won’t be giving up anything. The real question is how much of a deficit in AD funding is Saliman willing/able to accommodate. It will be a change to how the university operates because the university will need to fund the AD more directly. Would the university system give the AD $30m more a year if it meant not losing potentially 100s of millions of reaearch partnerships within the PAC10. Probably. Those numbers are completely made up, but there’s a decision point where it makes a lot more sense for the university to spend a few more bucks on the AD rather than lose quite a few more bucks in research for the rest of the departments or in alumni interaction/donations or any other number of levers that may be pulled.

Also, if Yormark is inviting UCONN, I’d bet that means no Pac10 defections and he’s accepted he needs to become the new big east and just try to own basketball. Just admitting the the BigXII is and always will be second fiddle in football.
It's funny how an assumption that Colorado greatly benefits from Stanford is never proven and then is taken as a given. It is NOT true. Colorado ranks 52nd in the country is research spending. Where did it rank 10 years ago? 55th. WOW! The Stanford Effect.

col.png

Oh and don't forget this

For the millionth time, athletic conference affiliation has nothing to do with research partnerships. How this myth persists among non-academics I will literally never understand.

It's no myth since there's the Big Ten Academic Alliance which includes all Big Ten schools.

The PAC is said to have a similar alliance.

It's funny how an assumption that Colorado greatly benefits from Stanford is never proven and then is taken as a given. It is NOT true. Colorado ranks 52nd in the country is research spending. Where did it rank 10 years ago? 55th. WOW! The Stanford Effect.

View attachment 62398

Oh and don't forget this

Doesn't mean CU hasn't benefited. What would it look like if CU hadn't joined the Pac-12? The main variables her are Phil D's mismanagement and President level shift of focus to the medical school and CU-Denver.

It's no myth since there's the Big Ten Academic Alliance which includes all Big Ten schools.

The PAC is said to have a similar alliance.
Everyone who wants to make the argument always cites the BTAA while not understanding what it is. Again, athletic affiliation has zero influence on research partnerships. If it did, it would be a sure sign you had woefully incompetent research faculty, which I'm willing to bet you'd say is not true of CU (or Stanford, etc).

Back