What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

love that he goes by Dr. Crow, was a professor in technology policy, yet seriously said "we were offered a media contract by the Apple corporation which is a technological 23rd century Star Trek thing" – when referring to the concept of live streaming and replay of games

he's definitely working for the right school

Javelin catcher, amirite!

Only problem is that every student, parent and alum of Tulane is an LSU fan if they even care about college sports. So fan & market engagement is sh!t.
I am gonna add... with medium certainty, that a lot of Tulane students are wealthy suburbanites from major cities across the US. I believe that their student body is comprised of many big cities... mostly NY and the Northeast. Their ties to football are not strong. I have family that goes there and the fathers that "pay the tuition" seem to be more interested than their children.....

just sayin'

DO NOT WANT.

And if they do go to 9, ESPN can kiss goodbye it's SEC-ACC annual matchups played by UGA, SC, UF and UK. There's no way they lock in 10 games like that every year.
I think TV will make them. I really believe that the days of Penn State scheduling Akron are over soon. Especially since one loss wont prevent you from making a 12 team tournament at the end of the season.

fundamental changes are going to occur, after this round, because it is quite clear the negative impacts to humans outweigh the benefits of cash to the networks.

i used to think that college football players needed a union and the ability to collectively bargain. i now think that all D1 athletes need a union.

the welfare and safety and academic goals of the student-athlete are completely obliterated by this stuff.

i heard a guy say that they should disconnect football from all the other sports. i am not sure i can disagree more with this sentiment. football revenue creates and sustains multiple sports and allows us to try to close the gender gap. this is actually a good and positive mission.

these are not semi-pros and this is not a purely economic analysis.

1. college athletes unite and negotiate.
2. universities agree to a single bargaining voice (and to look after the fairness and interest of the athletic mission).
3. wait until the rights start to run out and wait some more-- when everyone meaningful is a free agent again, drop the ****ing hammer of the gods on the networks.

we CAN get back to something that makes sense. the thing about all this-- we are headed to a more siloed viewing world via streaming. this should enhance and not hurt regionalism and rivalries.
Democrat.

SC fan would have loved Coach Prime.

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office

I think all the big moves are over for the moment. The PAC12 needs to spend some time figuring out the best move for the 4 remaining schools. I don't see an ACC merger as bringing any value and if you are worried about Travel cost it makes absolutely no sense.

I am not sure what happens with Stanford and Cal. It appears they think conferences like the MWC and even the Big 12 are beneath them Academically, especially Stanford.

The PAC12 name has more Brand value so maybe they could roll the MWC into the PAC. They would need to sit down with media partner(s) and see what they can negotiate for media rights going forward. The hindrance is the MWC only gets about $4 Million per school in media rights and that is running another 3 seasons. With Media rights declining, they may not find much appetite for increasing the payout.

I’ve been to a couple of jungle parties at the Beta house. Fun.

Tulane would be a very poor add to the Big 12.
Why are we looking at what would be a good addition to the B12 (as if we really know what that even means) instead of looking at what would be a good addition for the fans?

Why are we looking at what would be a good addition to the B12 (as if we really know what that even means) instead of looking at what would be a good addition for the fans?
I simply separate my personal travel plans from my thoughts about conference alignment.

(As an aside: My wife is from New Orleans and went to Tulane. My eldest brother went there too.)

Was coming to post this. Long tweet. If you dont want to click in….

Interesting post-mortem on the Pac-12 media deal saga by Ourand of SBJ

Summary of media offers from this & other sources:

1) Amazon:
“Never submitted a bid”

2) NBC:
“Never submitted a bid.” This despite the Pac-12 approaching them 3 different times per Ross Dellenger. Hey! “No means No,” right? 😉

3) Fox:
$3.5-4M/team AAV for “13 B-package football games per yr” (likely late windows FS1 content)

4) CBS:
only recent offer was for 5 total Basketball games per year; no bid amount given.

5) ESPN:
-recent offer: “small bid for Pac-12 rights” (this has been widely rumored to be $9M/team AAV for the Tier 1 content)

-original ESPN offer, during the exclusive negotiating window over a yr ago, was a “significant package.” Others described this as “the same deal the Big12 later accepted”… I assume this is the ~$20M AAV/team that ESPN will paying the Big12. Fox would have likely paid for FB/BB content as well, but since their inventory is more BB-heavy, I doubt Fox would have paid the $11.7M AAV to the Pac-12 that they are paying the Big12 who offers better BB brands & more inventory. I’d assume any combined offer would have been around $27-8M/yr, but was Fox or the Pac-12 themselves not willing to “play ball” with one another from the start? Was the relationship too damaged due to Fox being viewed as complicit with the B1G’s poaching of USC/UCLA, and swooning over Ore/UW?

6) CW:
Not mentioned in article but had been in negotiations/discussions at least once. Unclear if they submitted a bid.

7) AppleTV+:
$23M/team AAV with all streaming content (no linear) but subscription incentives to boost payouts beyond that baseline

This last one was the best they could do, was presented to the presidents last week, and was the straw that finally broke the camel’s back.

Anything else I missed folks?

Seeing a lot of these sentiments from OSU fans. That program has one 8+ win season in the last decade and all of the sudden they're some elite program. I'm fine with these stupid ****s being left out

I really don't care much one way or the other about OSU. They are getting the shaft, but, for whatever reason, nobody outside of Corvallis cares. Thems the breaks.

Back