What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

We are sitting here bitching about the ****ty locations in the B12, and there’s a really great location in the middle of our area.

You are all morons. I want college football to be fun again.
Agree, we are morons....

College Football has not been fun since 2001 for us.

It has been a BLAST since December 2022! What more are you looking for during the offseason!

Oregon State fans are really strong as a fan base, but they are too small.
See Boise State, WSU etc.

It would be interesting to compare to the smaller market B12 teams.

My perception is that the latter draw every single resident every single game.
Oregon State has fans more like CU fans, with more choices of entertainment (only less fans in general).

Why are we looking at what would be a good addition to the B12 (as if we really know what that even means) instead of looking at what would be a good addition for the fans?
Then go become a fan of the UNC Bears. Become a CSU fan.

They travel to some really fun and interesting places. Doesn't matter if the football sucks it is all about the road trip.

Even the RMAC (excluding Pueblo) would make for some great weekends on the road.

If we want CU football to matter then we have to be serious about football.

is tulane really a less credible power conference member than some others hanging around in the b12 now?

the Buffs on bourbon street sounds good. granted, it is no waco or lubbock or little manhattan...

all irrelevant now-- we need to head into 24 with some juice and wreck this conference. do that and we can visit new orleans for a bowl game.

we're gonna win.

The Wall Street journal has an article today that claims that GK presented the Pac-12 with two deals, one being the Apple deal and this:

One was a traditional five-year deal involving traditional networks, with three cable partners and one digital bidder splitting the Pac-12 rights. It would have eventually given schools a disbursement of about $30 million a year—far less than the Big Ten and SEC, but in line with the new Big 12 deal.

If he really had such a deal, did he really refuse to tell the schools about it until the very last second? If such a deal existed, did CU bounce because they knew that UO and UW would defect to the B1G anyway?

Also contains this little nugget about the Apple deal:

It would be costly for the conference in other ways: Apple declined to cover production costs associated with football and basketball games, which television executives said can run between $600,000 and $900,000 per game.

While I think that the figure of a minimum of $600k to produce a Pac-12 network football or basketball game has got to be a gross exaggeration, if true and assume five Pac12 network games a week if the deal was 100 percent streaming we are talking well over $35 million in costs for football and probably $40 million or more for basketball, meaning the deal would be worth $7 million per school less than the amount quoted.

is tulane really a less credible power conference member than some others hanging around in the b12 now?

the Buffs on bourbon street sounds good. granted, it is no waco or lubbock or little manhattan...

all irrelevant now-- we need to head into 24 with some juice and wreck this conference. do that and we can visit new orleans for a bowl game.

we're gonna win.
Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

The Wall Street journal has an article today that claims that GK presented the Pac-12 with two deals, one being the Apple deal and this:

If he really had such a deal, did he really refuse to tell the schools about it until the very last second? If such a deal existed, did CU bounce because they knew that UO and UW would defect to the B1G anyway?

While I think that the figure of a minimum of $600k to produce a Pac-12 network football or basketball game has got to be a gross exaggeration, if true and assume five Pac12 network games a week if the deal was 100 percent streaming we are talking well over $35 million in costs for football and probably $40 million or more for basketball, meaning the deal would be worth $7 million per school less than the amount quoted.
I think you are right about that figure being a gross exaggeration.

If it were true you would never see a broadcast of a D2 game or even most FCS games, and a lot less G5 games.

In P5 stadiums they are doing much of the production anyways. They have multiple cameras shooting the game from various angles. A TV broadcast will add some additional angles as well as sound and a broadcast team but I don't see how they get to $600k.

And if some of the PAC12Network games cost them half that much they got ripped off.

The key word in the quotes is "eventually." That's just spin. Obviously, the number in 2024 was well below $30 million.

I think and hope this realignment stuff is running its course for this year at this point.

Oregon State & WSU could be headed to either the AAC or MWC. Stanford & Cal to ACC could be done in a couple of days (my guess).

I think and hope this realignment stuff is running its course for this year at this point.

Oregon State & WSU could be headed to either the AAC or MWC. Stanford & Cal to ACC could be done in a couple of days (my guess).

If Stanford and Cal go to the ACC it makes the P12 breakup seem even stupider that they somehow couldn't get a TV deal with linear done unless you think WSU and OSU have $0 value.

If Stanford and Cal go to the ACC it makes the P12 breakup seem even stupider that they somehow couldn't get a TV deal with linear done unless you think WSU and OSU have $0 value.

I think it's stupid that OSU, which is closer to Portland than UO, is getting relegated. KSU is 30 minutes further away from Kansas City & Wichita than OSU is to Portland. WSU is closer to Spokane-CdA than KSU is to those two major cities.

I think this pretty much validated the idea that this was orchestrated by the networks to have one fewer conference. I also don’t think they’re done. ACC is on deck, and while we are feeling smug about finding a landing spot in the B12, it’s only a matter of time before they come for us, too. The one thing we have going for us is some absolutely killer basketball content. That might be our ace in the hole.

I think this pretty much validated the idea that this was orchestrated by the networks to have one fewer conference. I also don’t think they’re done. ACC is on deck, and while we are feeling smug about finding a landing spot in the B12, it’s only a matter of time before they come for us, too. The one thing we have going for us is some absolutely killer basketball content. That might be our ace in the hole.
All of that may be true, but without Tulane, our eventual demise is assured.

And it all may not matter in 10 years.

We have no guarantee that we will have a small number of major broadcast networks dominating sports programming.

Who would have known 15 years ago that renting a physical movie (DVD) would almost be non-existent and that the cable companies would be losing customers in droves as streaming of content takes over?

It may be that we are currently at the peak of network control and money before the sports market fractures entirely into a realm where fans subscribe to the stream of the specific teams they want to watch.

Back