What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

For sure.

Not to defend it too hard, but the geography of the west (which a few years ago seemed to kinda matter) is tricky, with fewer obvious candidates. We debated endlessly UNLV, Boise, SDSU (and we apparently aren't done) and it always seemed like they weren't additive. On the other hand, a complementary public flagship like UT, KU, OU and so on seemed too distant.

Now we're talking about Stanford and Cal, single-digit miles from the Pacific, joining the Atlantic Coast Conference.

I think the Pac-12 higher ups (who are likely snobs) wanted a fitting, "peer" university.

It turned out that no one cares.
I just want to see San Diego State in the Pac-X so we can all watch @Fred 2's head explode.

I've always thought this snippet from the Pac-12 Wikipedia page was interesting:

"Following "pay-for-play" scandals at California, USC, UCLA, and Washington, the PCC disbanded in June 1959. Ten months earlier in August 1958, these four schools agreed to form a new conference that would take effect the following summer.[83][84] When the four schools and Stanford began discussions for a new conference in 1959, retired Admiral Thomas J. Hamilton interceded and suggested the schools consider creating a national "power conference" (Hamilton had been a key player, head coach, and athletic director at Navy, and was the current athletic director at Pittsburgh). Nicknamed the "Airplane Conference,"[85][86][87] the five former PCC schools would have played with other major academically-oriented schools, including Army, Navy, Air Force, Notre Dame, Pitt, Penn State, and Syracuse.[85][88] The effort fell through when a Pentagon official vetoed the idea and the service academies backed out.[89]"

Obviously the service academies aren't what they were back then any more, but that would've been an interesting alternate universe.

It sure looks that way with the Airplane Conference. Perhaps the ACC gets re-branded as the Airplane Coastal Conference.

I just want to see San Diego State in the Pac-X so we can all watch @Fred 2's head explode.

I've never quite reconciled the "UCLA doesn't draw well but they are in southern California" and "SDSU is in southern California but they don't draw well," where draw means tickets and TV eyeballs.

I think if a slightly larger Pac had survived, they may have worked it out.

But SDSU + whatever's available + Pac-4 ain't gonna work.

Who doesn't? Longest bowl-less streak in the P5 belongs to the Nubs, iirc. Their "Best at Sucking" football museum is quite impressive. Highlights include the "Best 3-9 Team Ever" memorial wing, numerous "Moral Victory" trophies which commemorate great Husker moments like when they went into Columbus in 2018 and only lost 31-36, and of course there's the "Everyone Else is a Dirty, Classless Cheater" pavilion with (my personal favorite) the 3-hour interactive multimedia presentation on Jacob Callier.

Laugh if you want, but that exhibit where you hide in a closet while animatronic Lawrence Phillips commits violence on the other side of the door was scary AF.

Last edited:
I've never quite reconciled the "UCLA doesn't draw well but they are in southern California" and "SDSU is in southern California but they don't draw well," where draw means tickets and TV eyeballs.

I think if a slightly larger Pac had survived, they may have worked it out.

But SDSU + whatever's available + Pac-4 ain't gonna work.
If I'm the four of them, I try to go independent in FB but stash my other sports in the WCC. Might be a bit of a weird culture fit....but the geography makes it a no brainer. Who could they play? Former conference mates. You don't think Utah would jump at the chance to fill an OOC slot next year with say Oregon State? Their current OOC is BYU, Baylor, and I think Weber State (or some other FCS school). I might schedule Stanford or Cal in 2025-28 if I'm CU.

That market's got a lot more ways for the people who live out there to spend their entertainment dollars because they have two of basically everything pro sports wise.....I'd include MLS in that. Not to mention everything else. The two MLS teams out there played at the Rose Bowl 4th of July and drew 10K more than UCLA's highest attendance in 2022.

Sub Dont Do Drugs GIF

i'm kinda rooting for wsu and osu if that is even remotely true. it would be nice to see a couple of victims actually get a break here.

As much as it makes sense on some level for every FBS football program to be an independent, on a business level it doesn't. Each one individually negotiating its own media contract is not feasible. There's good reason for why every elite brand program other than Notre Dame agrees to equal shares with conference mates - they get so much more through collective bargaining than they could get on their own.

I believe the money's too big for FBt to go to regional conferences in the near term.

I think next step could likely be national super-conferences for football and regional conferences for all other sports

No revelations here, but an interesting retrospective

Houston, which joined the Big 12 in July, waited 27 years before returning to a major conference.

According to the Knight Foundation’s college athletics database, which tracks schools’ financial data back to 2005, Texas Tech — a former SWC school that joined the Big 12 in its inception — has received $316 million more from its conference in the last 18 years combined than Houston has from its leagues. That total only includes revenue from media rights contracts, football bowl games, NCAA championships distributions and other revenue received from the conference.

Last edited:
Back