What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU players in the NFL

A 48 in vert would give him the highest vert in NBA history, tied with the greatest basketball player of all time, Wilt Chamberlain.

I love that for Ento.

You know what pisses me off, though? Here he was riding the pine at WR for the last 2 years while CU struggled with its secondary. Our CB play has not been good enough to win. And all that time this guy was good enough to earn his way to 2nd string CB on an NFL team with one summer of practice at the position? What the hell was going on at CU that kept this from happening here?

Last edited:
I love that for Ento.

You know what pisses me off, though? Here he was riding the pine at WR for the last 2 years while CU struggled with its secondary. Our CB play has not been good enough to win. And all that time this guy was good enough to earn his way to 2nd sting CB on an NFL team with one summer of practice at the position? What the hell was going on at CU that kept this from happening here?
Could be incompetence, could be he pissed off a certain coach. Who knows?

A 48 in vert would give him the highest vert in NBA history, tied with the greatest basketball player of all time, Wilt Chamberlain.
What lol Wilt never jumped 48" ever lol David Thompson on the other hand did except his was a standing jump. Wilt did bust his head open once in warm ups while playing at Kansas on the rim, that would have been funny to see.

What lol Wilt never jumped 48" ever lol David Thompson on the other hand did except his was a standing jump. Wilt did bust his head open once in warm ups while playing at Kansas on the rim, that would have been funny to see.
Spud Webb had to have a pretty huge vert. I'm not sure when they started testing for that? Officially, anyway.

Last edited:
Wilt did jump 48", like a lot of other things he started bragging then ended up backing it up in a gym to prove himself.

Remember before doubting Wilt that in addition to the session in the gym he was a 3 time Big 8 champion in the high jump, went over 50' in the triple jump, as well as doing well at other track and field events. He also excelled at volleyball where again his huge reach added to an amazing vertical leap made him dominant as a blocker.

There are many photos of Wilt leaping in NBA games which can be used to verify that his vertical was elite. Many exaggerate the top reach due to perspective but the real measure is to look at where his feet are compared to the bodies of the 6'8"-6'10" players standing on the floor he is jumping over.

Wilt and DT both stated that they never took a coin off the top of the backboard but both were spectacular. My Dad's company had season tickets for the Nuggets and I got to see a lot of games he played in early in his career. DT was measured at 44" but it wouldn't surprise me if he was capable of going higher before he destroyed his knee.

There were also some others who should be considered in the discussion of verticals who get forgotten because they weren't in the NBA spotlight. Darnell Hillman was 6'10 with a huge fro on top. He wasn't anywhere near as creative in the air as DT or Dr. J or some others but he had a massive jump. He actually did bang his head on a backboard in an actual ABA game. Hillman reportedly could take a coin off the top of the backboard, when a reporter asked him about it he said to put a $100 bill up there, the reporter who had followed him for some time declined. You can find reports of Hillman having a 54" vertical. I don't believe that figure but he very well may have been over the 48" documented for Wilt.

Another great leaper who is all but forgotten was Connie Hawkins. Connie was blackballed by the NBA until after his knees were shot but as a younger player his leaping ability was legendary. He may have been the highest of all of them but we will never know.

None of this takes away from what Chido appears to have done with just a casual leap. His athletic ability is spectacular. Also worth noting is that as the players come out to practice he is at the front of the group. I don't know if that is normal for him but I would expect it is, he is a leader by example, a guy who takes on the opportunity to get better with enthusiasm.

I love that for Ento.

You know what pisses me off, though? Here he was riding the pine at WR for the last 2 years while CU struggled with its secondary. Our CB play has not been good enough to win. And all that time this guy was good enough to earn his way to 2nd sting CB on an NFL team with one summer of practice at the position? What the hell was going on at CU that kept this from happening here?
I know lots of Buffs fans, myself included, considered Mac the secondary whisperer. And he definitely helped bring in and coach some legitimately talented defensive backs. But when you look at his entire tenure I'm starting to think that title isn't entirely deserved.

I know lots of Buffs fans, myself included, considered Mac the secondary whisperer. And he definitely helped bring in and coach some legitimately talented defensive backs. But when you look at his entire tenure I'm starting to think that title isn't entirely deserved.
He's a very accomplished DB coach and talent evaluator. I don't think he transitioned well when Clark left him, though.

Wilt did jump 48", like a lot of other things he started bragging then ended up backing it up in a gym to prove himself.

Remember before doubting Wilt that in addition to the session in the gym he was a 3 time Big 8 champion in the high jump, went over 50' in the triple jump, as well as doing well at other track and field events. He also excelled at volleyball where again his huge reach added to an amazing vertical leap made him dominant as a blocker.

There are many photos of Wilt leaping in NBA games which can be used to verify that his vertical was elite. Many exaggerate the top reach due to perspective but the real measure is to look at where his feet are compared to the bodies of the 6'8"-6'10" players standing on the floor he is jumping over.

Wilt and DT both stated that they never took a coin off the top of the backboard but both were spectacular. My Dad's company had season tickets for the Nuggets and I got to see a lot of games he played in early in his career. DT was measured at 44" but it wouldn't surprise me if he was capable of going higher before he destroyed his knee.

There were also some others who should be considered in the discussion of verticals who get forgotten because they weren't in the NBA spotlight. Darnell Hillman was 6'10 with a huge fro on top. He wasn't anywhere near as creative in the air as DT or Dr. J or some others but he had a massive jump. He actually did bang his head on a backboard in an actual ABA game. Hillman reportedly could take a coin off the top of the backboard, when a reporter asked him about it he said to put a $100 bill up there, the reporter who had followed him for some time declined. You can find reports of Hillman having a 54" vertical. I don't believe that figure but he very well may have been over the 48" documented for Wilt.

Another great leaper who is all but forgotten was Connie Hawkins. Connie was blackballed by the NBA until after his knees were shot but as a younger player his leaping ability was legendary. He may have been the highest of all of them but we will never know.

None of this takes away from what Chido appears to have done with just a casual leap. His athletic ability is spectacular. Also worth noting is that as the players come out to practice he is at the front of the group. I don't know if that is normal for him but I would expect it is, he is a leader by example, a guy who takes on the opportunity to get better with enthusiasm.
Wilt didn't do a standing vertical ever for an offical measurement that I've seen, it was a running leap for him. David Thompson did. Big difference DT has/had the world record for a standing vertical, skywalker was the perfect name for him. I was at most of Denvers ABA games, it's sad that young people never get to see how basketball was meant to be played. That league also had some of the crasiest people walking around in life, Marvin Barnes lol. Wilt is one of the greatest athletes ever no argument there, and CH isn't forgotten as long as us older gents are around.

Dr. Dunk was my favorite player. He didn't have everyone as a fan like DT did, and Monty Towe had fans just because he had personality, but Hillman was the guy I enjoyed more than anyone else at that time.

Wilt didn't do a standing vertical ever for an offical measurement that I've seen, it was a running leap for him. David Thompson did. Big difference DT has/had the world record for a standing vertical, skywalker was the perfect name for him. I was at most of Denvers ABA games, it's sad that young people never get to see how basketball was meant to be played. That league also had some of the crasiest people walking around in life, Marvin Barnes lol. Wilt is one of the greatest athletes ever no argument there, and CH isn't forgotten as long as us older gents are around.
I'm all in on fond remembrance of great players of the past. We should honor them.

But "how basketball was meant to be played?".

I assume that means you advocate for football to go back to leather helmets and the elimination of the forward pass.

Wilt didn't do the standing vertical at any scouting combine but as I stated he did it, with media present as well as teammates to win a bet, which he did. Wilt may have been the most amazing big athlete ever. Funny how a guy who was that athletically skilled could never consistently hit a free throw.

A Wilt in his prime in the modern era would have to be illegal. Instead of being stuck of questionable teams he would be able to do like modern superstars do and pick a team that could support him to championships. He played mostly on terrible teams until he was well past his prime and finally got to the Lakers.

DT looked magical because he was not a big guy and he was so graceful in the air. He looked at times like he was defying the laws of gravity.

And yes the ABA had some crazy figures like Barnes ("Have no fear, News is here." after he had missed a team plane and chartered a private jet to get to a road game.)
What people don't realize is that in the final few years of the ABA the two league where splitting the top prospect about 50/50 but because the ABA had fewer teams the talent was concentrating in the newer league. They also played a more wide open style of game with more spectacular plays and less shoving and grinding.

Big season upcoming for these two legends.

Assuming good health this season I think Chido could be going into a monster year. He is still in his prime physically and that prime puts him in elite company in terms of quickness and his ability to close on the ball.

This year though he will be a third year vet. He will be able to read what he is seeing and respond instantly. The way he plays he will be turning little mistakes by the offense into big plays for the defense.

Spoon on the other hand is in a critical year. He's shown that he has the physical ability to play but he was inconsistent last season with some outstanding play and some play that almost got him on the bench. He needs to get more consistent and more willing to play physically. He needs to be more willing to step in and tackle.

You can't bring up crazy ABA players amd not talk about just how bat**** crazy John Brisker was.

Last edited:
You can't bring up crazy ABA players amd not talk about just how bat**** crazy John Brisker was.
Damn I honestly forgot about him, I was a big Ron Lyle fan and remember something happening with/between them? Didn't he cross paths with Spencer Heywood? Idi WTH was that about.

Back