What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

I get the arguments against EB for HC, but when guys like KK and Zac Taylor get HC jobs it's kind of hard to understand. Last year everyone who has ever met McVay got a HC job, yet EB has been Reid's right hand man for several years now and nobody wants to give him a shot? I mean, Dan Campbell? Dolphins fans wanted him hired for some reason after he filled in for half a season and I never got it. He's buff and fiery, but there's nothing about him that screams great HC.

Nice to read that all signs are pointing to him receiving strong marks in the interviews. I'm sure if he wasn't getting strong reports, that segment would not have made the article, so imo it really only leaves it to what this article described which is simultaneously disheartening and unsurprising considering the NFL owners similarities.

@96 Buff is right, and it's silly to make up all this other crap.

You have to have an almost perfect resumé to get a chance as an AA coach in the NFL, EB's resumé is good, but not perfect.

End of story.
As much as I don't want to believe that race is the issue, it's hard for me to imagine a white coach with his exact resume not getting a shot.

It does seem really odd. I thought this was his year and he’d have his pick of several jobs.
Maybe he is the Brent Venables of the nfl. Good coach but for some reason just gets passed over head coaching jobs. Maybe he is a terrible interview.

Maybe he is the Brent Venables of the nfl. Good coach but for some reason just gets passed over head coaching jobs. Maybe he is a terrible interview.
Interviews sounded good
Just makes no sense!!!
Everyone hates us short guys

As much as I don't want to believe that race is the issue, it's hard for me to imagine a white coach with his exact resume not getting a shot.
I mean, a guy who interviews and is obviously pursued for almost 7 jobs and gets none of them, there is obviously an alternative motive.

I hope EB gets a shot somewhere, I didn't want it to be the ****ing Jets, that's for damn sure. Somebody will give him an opportunity, whether it's this year or next. He's earned it.

I hope EB gets a shot somewhere, I didn't want it to be the ****ing Jets, that's for damn sure. Somebody will give him an opportunity, whether it's this year or next. He's earned it.

Has he “earned it”? The only up close evidence we have of EB as a coach was during the Embree years. EB was a disaster. If he was a good coach at all, NFL teams would be falling over themselves trying to hire him because of his race.

Bored Come On GIF

Has he “earned it”? The only up close evidence we have of EB as a coach was during the Embree years. EB was a disaster. If he was a good coach at all, NFL teams would be falling over themselves trying to hire him because of his race.
The league isn’t falling over themselves to hire black coaches.

will ferrell laughing GIF

Wow, not much to add to this. Hey New Era, show us your Natty and Super Bowl ring. He does deserve a shot at a head job somewhere, tough if you don't like it.

70% of NFL players are black. It's been over 50% for decades.

I'd love for someone to make an argument for why we don't see around half of GM & Personnel Director type positions, Coordinator jobs and HC jobs filled by African Americans at this point.

It's under 10% of HCs.

If it's not due to racial bias in hiring management positions, what is it?

These two things aren't mutually exclusive:

- Believing the NFL has a racism issue
- not believing in EB's ability to be a successful HC in the NFL
Most of the reticence people around here have regarding EB’s prospects as a head coach have to do with how he performed in Boulder as a coordinator a decade ago. Now, putting aside a discussion of the merits of that position, I can at least understand where folks are coming from. I just don’t get the sense that’s what NFL owners are leaning on as the rationale for not giving Eric an opportunity.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive:

- Believing the NFL has a racism issue
- not believing in EB's ability to be a successful HC in the NFL
While true, the problem is that these types of arguments can be made about any individual candidate.

And at the end of the day, if you're a good enough coach to be the OC for a Super Bowl winner then you're a good enough coach to get a shot as a HC.

While true, the problem is that these types of arguments can be made about any individual candidate.

And at the end of the day, if you're a good enough coach to be the OC for a Super Bowl winner then you're a good enough coach to get a shot as a HC.

I believe that is a little too simplistic.

Yes, there are likely some sub conscious or even blatant racial biases at play, but when half the league has interviewed him and gone a different direction, it is not the reason

Back