What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bieniemy - OC Kansas City Chiefs (NFL)

Biggest concern for me with Bieniemy is his reputation for losing his composure, especially on players. Has anyone heard any of his former players address his relationship with the players other than Kelce and Peterson?

Mahomes on Bieniemy

“He’d be an awesome head coach,” Mahomes told reporters. “He has that mindset, work ethic and determination you need to be a head coach in this league and I know he’s had the interest, but you know he will still be 100 percent in on what we are doing here. He would be an amazing coach and I am excited I still have him here right now for this playoff run.”

Should we look into JE as well? He has also learned a lot and is the #2 in SF under Shanahan. And they almost won the SB. And he developed a late round guy into PFF's highest rated NFL player. He's not titled as the OC (SF doesn't list an OC), but he's the AHC. Other than title I'd venture to guess JE and EB do similar things for their respective teams since EB doesn't call plays.

Like, surely this is a **** no right? But that's my issue, idk how much blame do I throw on JE and how much also for EB for 2011-2012. Was it mostly of JE's doing that it was a disaster? Was it a 1A 1B sort of deal with them?
I definitely think Embree would be a better HC now than he was in 2011, but that will obviously never even be considered, and who knows how much better. However, Embree isn't even being discussed for NFL coordinator positions, let alone, NFL Head Coaching positions, so there is definitely a difference.

End of the day, the only real reason people are down on EB for this job is because... "I rEmEmBeR qB sNeAk On FiRsT dOwN"

You think Hagan would make a good HC? Oy. I think if you’re limiting your pool to people who would view CU as their “dream job” you’re eliminating 99% of the coaches out there - why put ourselves at such a disadvantage?
Lol, sorry that was supposed to say wouldn’t. I meant it to show that I wouldn’t support just any buffs coach

If EB is a serious candidate, I’d imagine he calls Embree to get his advice, no? I wonder what Embree would tell him with the benefit of hindsight and several years to reflect back on it?

Should we look into JE as well? He has also learned a lot and is the #2 in SF under Shanahan. And they almost won the SB. And he developed a late round guy into PFF's highest rated NFL player. He's not titled as the OC (SF doesn't list an OC), but he's the AHC. Other than title I'd venture to guess JE and EB do similar things for their respective teams since EB doesn't call plays.

Like, surely this is a **** no right? But that's my issue, idk how much blame do I throw on JE and how much also for EB for 2011-2012. Was it mostly of JE's doing that it was a disaster? Was it a 1A 1B sort of deal with them?

I don't see it as a 1A 1B sort of deal and it does not matter if it was. Times were very different than when JE/EB we hastily handed the reigns by Mike Bohn after Hawkins. CU was stood up by almost all their HC candidates after the Hawkins folly. The CU football team is in a totally different situation then the last experiment:

1. RG and LC are vested in the program and have been for years. From an executive perspective, it is not throw "XYZ" the keys and go get it done. This time there is support and oversight;
2. HCMM, although fired, left much more of a foundation on Day 1 for MT, than JE/EB ever had. He built a team that became competitive in the PAC-12;
3. MT, just here 1 year, built further upon HCMM's foundation and they signed the best recruiting class since JE/EB were here. As many commented great recruiting and good attrition;
4. The administration came through with much needed facility improvements to be competitive in the PAC-12;
5. Whoever the head coach is, although he may be walking into a "dumpster fire" things are nowhere close to what JE/EB walked into during their 1st stint-- Hawklove was a "complete dumpster inferno";
6. CU has $3M in severance this time around; and
7. Both JE/EB went back to the NFL and are more successful in their 2nd go around, more seasoned, older and more success. For EB he won the SB as an OC. People can say it is Andy Reid calling plays, but that does not diminish the long hours and work building Mahomes into an MVP and Hunt the rushing leader. Day in and day out EB was there; Andy Reid may have mentored, but EB worked/coached/mentored it too.

With that said, I doubt that JE is going to be a HC candidate for the obvious reasons.

How would EB be at recruiting? That's really all I care about in a HC...will he and his staff make recruiting the #1 priority like whatshisname did.

Not at all. I think both of them have HC abilities. I wouldnt say the same for say a guy like Hagan. I’m in the camp that Colorado will always be a jumping off point and not a destination. Forgive me for wanting to try and find someone who looks at this as their dream job. Much better odds of that if it’s a former buff
according to Kap it's his dream to be here. Does he have a shot?

How would EB be at recruiting? That's really all I care about in a HC...will he and his staff make recruiting the #1 priority like whatshisname did.

I think that EB would be good. Just look at the 1 JE/EB class (#39 Nationally) and the # of guys they received commitments for in the 1st HCMM class (Linday, Sefo, Jimmy Gilbert, Frazier, Bobo and Ross). However, recruiting is more than the HC, and you would have to see what assistants decide to stay (no question they did a good job this period--not only the guys that they got, but where they got them from). The assistants can somewhat dictate success in a certain blue-print/area.

EB always been great at recruiting. The issue that scares me with this move is I still remember how absolutely horrible the coaching was during the Embree fiasco. Every aspect of the team was inept and it doesn't matter how good you can recruit if you can only win 2 games a year.

It isn't an all or nothing matter. I have no reason to wish anything but wild success for any current or former Buff. But the point remains. All the clip shows is Beiniemy called a play in KC. Maybe he has called more than one. I don't know, but I am hardly the only one who has questions. Has EB learned a ton from being in his current position? I am sure he has.

Does that make me forget the last time he was a coordinator at the CFB level? Well, no.

If he gets the gig, I will be 100% behind him and hopinig he sets the world on fire. I just happen to think there are other options that are probably better.

Afternoon update- EB to take 7-10 days to decide.

I'm told questions back to CU was are they in this to win? Will CU admit student athletes that are recruited and his past experience with CU admin wants assurances kids will be admitted. FYI I was told this was a big reason for Tucker agreeing to come here.

Also concerns about assistant salaries.

I don't know if a booster has coughed up some money to increase the assistant salary pool but I'm told CU has a decent pool of cash available.

As an aside, something I don't think we've given EB enough credit for was how he handled his exit in 2012. We had such high emotions around that presser with Embree playing the race card and former players & coaches killing Bohn in the media. I don't want to re-hash that stuff. Whomever was mostly right or mostly wrong is not my point here. My point is that in the midst of that EB was pure class and showed a ton of maturity & professionalism in the way he exited.

I would hope that remembering that will change some thoughts about whether he's too much of a hot head and on whether it's fair to put so much of the 2011/12 blame on EB.

Afternoon update- EB to take 7-10 days to decide.

I'm told questions back to CU was are they in this to win? Will CU admit student athletes that are recruited and his past experience with CU admin wants assurances kids will be admitted. FYI I was told this was a big reason for Tucker agreeing to come here.

Also concerns about assistant salaries.

I don't know if a booster has coughed up some money to increase the assistant salary pool but I'm told CU has a decent pool of cash available.

If true, I doubt they wait the 7-10 days. They probably start negotiating with another possibility during that time.

If true, I doubt they wait the 7-10 days. They probably start negotiating with another possibility during that time.
It's tough. No reason we can't wait 7-10 days for EB to get here. But every reason to find that wait unacceptable based on how it would screw CU on its ability to pursue other options if he said no. Gonna be much harder to interview and hire a working college coach if we get into the start of spring practices, I would think.

So, should he accept the job, how long does he stay? I would imagine that he'll get an NFL offer at some point down the road. He'll most likely take the job. So let's say he's CU's head coach for two seasons before taking an NFL head coaching job, is that going to reinforce the perception that CU is a "stepping stone," job and not a "destination?"

Also, how many alumni have been highly successful as a head coach at their alma mater?

I think you can still interview and do your due diligence with everyone else during this 7 or so day window. However, if you feel comfortable with someone else, EB should be notified that they have zeroed in on other possibilities and need an answer quick. If this is all true, then EB is their number one choice.

Edit: You obviously don't want a rushed answer from EB, which could be a disaster if he throws a staff together that is poor.

I think you can still interview and do your due diligence with everyone else during this 7 or so day window. However, if you feel comfortable with someone else, EB should be notified that they have zeroed in on other possibilities and need an answer quick. If this is all true, then EB is their number one choice.
Here's my problem with that... if I'm working in college football right now the last thing I want is for my name to be connected to a job opening if I think I'm being used as a Plan B bargaining chip in case the Plan A guy says no.

A decision on EB needs to be made this weekend.

Last edited:
Back