What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bieniemy - OC Kansas City Chiefs (NFL)

Whomever the first choice is for RG & LC, I hope that they offer the coach their best counter that they were going to give MT plus the $3 million from MSU.

Push all of the chips in the middle.
That's leverage for negotiating a high buyout to offset the fear he only stays he a year or two.

A lot of people who would have been solid hires last time (or next time) don't fit the bill in this instance, which is why I'm ok with the thought of Bieniemy as HC.

At this point, why would anyone believe any coach who gave assurance he would stay?

That consideration is irrelevant to me.

Hire the best coach you can and then it's on you to make him choose to stay. Period.

Exactly.

Afternoon update- EB to take 7-10 days to decide.

I'm told questions back to CU was are they in this to win? Will CU admit student athletes that are recruited and his past experience with CU admin wants assurances kids will be admitted. FYI I was told this was a big reason for Tucker agreeing to come here.

Also concerns about assistant salaries.

I don't know if a booster has coughed up some money to increase the assistant salary pool but I'm told CU has a decent pool of cash available.
should I read this as EB is CU's #1 target and if he says yes he's the next HC ?

It sounds like a preliminary offer has been made, and EB is mulling his options.

Honestly, that doesn’t thrill me.

EB in 5-7 days is good enough
No matter how long he is here, just photocopy that Chiefs playbook and put it in a safe! If I am Lewis, Miller, Rice, Arias and others, this potential offense would make me giddy!!!

So I believe we were at 3.3 million for assistants in 2018 and that dropped to 3.1 million in 2019. What do we think is the amount EB is looking for to get the right staff in here? I would think around $4 is doable with the money from Tucker if we don't have a ton of buyouts from the current assistants. Then hopefully we can increase that about 100K a year like we were doing with Mac.

So I believe we were at 3.3 million for assistants in 2018 and that dropped to 3.1 million in 2019. What do we think is the amount EB is looking for to get the right staff in here? I would think around $4 is doable with the money from Tucker if we don't have a ton of buyouts from the current assistants. Then hopefully we can increase that about 100K a year like we were doing with Mac.

100K a year is not nearly enough.

should I read this as EB is CU's #1 target and if he says yes he's the next HC ?

I don't think so. EB is in a different situation than most coaches in that he can openly discuss his interest in other jobs. It doesn't necessarily sound like an "offer" has been made, maybe more like interest has been expressed. Similar interest may have been expressed to other coaches who are not in a position to make it public. We all know from experience that RG and LC run a tight ship, and even our mysterious "large donors" are likely not entirely in the loop.

Process is everything and since 2011 things have gotten better in every way, except still an iffy BoR.
Recruiting infrastructure
Facilities
Health
Wellness
S&C
Crowds
Support staff
Digital
Etc.....
EB can add another layer with Andy Reid stuff, and even special teams with Taub’s good ideas.

Photocopy a pro playbook? Good call.
Yeah. But it's not enough. I'd also want copies of the transparency sheets for their opaque projector. That's where they have the super confidential cutting edge ideas they don't want any competitors to see.

starting at $4 million and going up 100K a year isn't enough? That is a pretty good assistant pool and would put us right with ASU, Cal and Utah.

10 assistants does not allow $100K to go very far at all.

starting at $4 million and going up 100K a year isn't enough? That is a pretty good assistant pool and would put us right with ASU, Cal and Utah.
To put it in perspective, UCF leads G5 with a million dollar coordinator (Randy Shannon) and a $3.5M assistant pool. LINK

$4M is a reasonable place for a P5 program to be, but it's still barely competitive when you consider cost-of-living in Boulder and what is paid by the programs that are legitimately competing for championships.

10 assistants does not allow $100K to go very far at all.
You are always going to be losing coaches and dropping salaries for more inexperienced guys and giving raises to others. Bonuses should be a major factor instead of raises as well. CU isn't going to be throwing around over $5 million in 3 years I think we all know that, unless we start winning 9 games a year. Either way $4.5 million in a couple of years seems like a good goal for CU as we sit right now. If you want to start out at $3.5 and increase 300k each year that works too but I am not going to sit here and say we can realistically go for $5 million a year soon.

To put it in perspective, UCF leads G5 with a million dollar coordinator (Randy Shannon) and a $3.5M assistant pool. LINK

$4M is a reasonable place for a P5 program to be, but it's still barely competitive when you consider cost-of-living in Boulder and what is paid by the programs that are legitimately competing for championships.
Hey let's make a couple of bowl games first before we talk about competing for championships.

At this point, why would anyone believe any coach who gave assurance he would stay?

That consideration is irrelevant to me.

Hire the best coach you can and then it's on you to make him choose to stay. Period.
Which is why you try to alleviate some of those concerns when negotiating. We just got burned by trying to make him choose to stay.

Back