What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expectations For This Year

What are your expectations for this year?

• Tourney Bound

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Tourney Bubble/NIT Lock

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • NIT Bound

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Gonna Be A Long Year

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it will be a slow start. This team is not used to playing together. Hopefully they gel by late Jan or Feb and make a run. That’s the blueprint for young teams. We won’t really know what we’ve got until then. Next year should be way better.
I think we win the games we should early in the season, but every one is going to be a struggle. Teams like Northeastern, New Mexico and Milwaukee worry the sh!t out of me. Mid majors with some talent, but more importantly experience. I think the key to a late season surge is whether we do win the ones we should and whether we can possibly get to (gasp) 30% shooting from 3.

I see this team fighting the bubble and could be an NCAA tourney team. I think with the youth it will be a building year where they get progressively better they the year. Going to take time to figure out the rotation and get used to and gel as a team. Bright future and will play better than their seed in the Pac tourney.
If Battey and Walker can't get their 12 and 5 every night, it's not going to matter what the youngins' do.

Can't wait to reference this board again in March when we have 17-20 wins and we've had to temper down 3 fire tad conversions. Really not expecting any conference road wins. Hate to say it we've got 9 frosh/soph that have never played in front of a crowd. We will get rattled, make dumb mistakes, and won't be able to handle a press, with a young backcourt. The Washington road trip sucks and we always have a clunker against Cal on the road.

If we do this according to our poll we have met or exceeded expectations anything more is gravvy.

Can't wait to reference this board again in March when we have 17-20 wins and we've had to temper down 3 fire tad conversions. Really not expecting any conference road wins. Hate to say it we've got 9 frosh/soph that have never played in front of a crowd. We will get rattled, make dumb mistakes, and won't be able to handle a press, with a young backcourt. The Washington road trip sucks and we always have a clunker against Cal on the road.

If we do this according to our poll we have met or exceeded expectations anything more is gravvy.

Football sucking has given many in this fanbase PTSD. Totally ridiculous.

Quick question: has a Tad Boyle CU team ever failed to win at least 20 games? I am too lazy to look it up, but I can’t remember it ever happening.

Quick question: has a Tad Boyle CU team ever failed to win at least 20 games? I am too lazy to look it up, but I can’t remember it ever happening.
3 times. The Derrick White year, Kin's Freshman year (semi-comparable roster make up to this year), and 2014-15 the year after Spencer left.

I don't think Horne particularly enjoyed the defensive requirements tied to earning & keeping minutes at CU. He wants to just be a gunner. Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't always a comfortable fit in this program.
Agreed,

I think Horne wanted to know that he was going to get a lot of playing time and that he was going to get the chance to be a focus of the offense. Tad wasn't going to promise him either and was probably honest in telling him it likely wasn't going to be that way.

Not what Horne wanted in his last year of college ball so he went someplace he thought was a better fit.

Probably because players have their own free will and can do things without the team restricting them.

Add in the fact that he comes back, it limits Jabari's minutes. And Lovering's. And De Silva. And we need them to step up for next year which should be a big year for us.
Really?! I just assumed players were completely locked in to their schools for life. Where have I been the last 50 years.

I think we handle UCLA at home. 20 wins.
Well, at least we don't have to play the 5 star center they just got committed like yesterday. He's #13 overall, meaning everybody. I know nothing about him, just know he's going there.

Love to see the Bruins recruiting like this. It's ridiculous that they've been so inconsistent with their classes. Literally 1 of only 5 programs* I know would still pull a Top 25 class even if they had me as their HC.

* UCLA, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina.

Love to see the Bruins recruiting like this. It's ridiculous that they've been so inconsistent with their classes. Literally 1 of only 5 programs* I know would still pull a Top 25 class even if they had me as their HC.

* UCLA, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina.
You know anything about him? I didn't know who the hell he was, just saw it on the ESPN ticker. Of course, I don't follow it like I once did. I'd pretty much ask you and a few others before anybody.

Well, at least we don't have to play the 5 star center they just got committed like yesterday. He's #13 overall, meaning everybody. I know nothing about him, just know he's going there.
If he is as good as some expect we will only see him one year before he goes pro

The issue is UCLA will get 5 stars every year now. Peyton Watson this year. Amari Bailey, Aden Bona next year. They’ll have a guy like this every year.
<Shrug> Oregon and Arizona were doing this for years. Now it's UCLA and Oregon (maybe USC). CU can't quite compete on that level of recruiting, but we sure as hell can set our sites on finishing in the 3-5 range in conference every year and making the tourney. Do that for the next decade and I think we'll all manage to be okay.

The issue is UCLA will get 5 stars every year now. Peyton Watson this year. Amari Bailey, Aden Bona next year. They’ll have a guy like this every year.
Which is okay. We were able to occasionally handle Mobley and Aton to pull off some upsets which was great for our resume.

I'm kind of glad he didn't. I think letting this nucleus of young guys grow together is going to make a huge difference down the road. Hopefully we see it this year.
Keep Walker around and 2022 and 2023 gonna be FIRE.

Barthelemy
Simpson
Allen
Da Silva
Walker
Hurlburt
Lovering
Clifford
O'Brien
Hammond
Ruffin
Smith

not the right thread for this, but I really hope Allen is able to recover fully from what seems to be a pretty gnarly surgery. I had my labrum in my hip repaired towards the end of my college career and it still affects my running/lower back...him being a dude is gonna be crucial for us, we've been at our best when we have go-to wing scorers

If the team does click, Tad has done another great job of crafting a schedule to optimize RPI/NET Rankings.

If CU can pull off a win against either Tennessee or Kansas at home, that should be a Tier 1 win. A win against Milwaukee or CSU could end being a win against another Tourney team.

Hopefully UCLA and Oregon have good out of conference showings. That alone would lift the entire conference, maybe giving the Pac12 another tourney team.

Basically, if the teams on our schedule end up performing as expected, our resume could end up looking good even if we experience highly volatile play from a talented, but mostly inexperienced group.

not the right thread for this, but I really hope Allen is able to recover fully from what seems to be a pretty gnarly surgery. I had my labrum in my hip repaired towards the end of my college career and it still affects my running/lower back...him being a dude is gonna be crucial for us, we've been at our best when we have go-to wing scorers

I hope you’re an outlier because I just had that surgery 2 months ago.

If the team does click, Tad has done another great job of crafting a schedule to optimize RPI/NET Rankings.

If CU can pull off a win against either Tennessee or Kansas at home, that should be a Tier 1 win. A win against Milwaukee or CSU could end being a win against another Tourney team.

Hopefully UCLA and Oregon have good out of conference showings. That alone would lift the entire conference, maybe giving the Pac12 another tourney team.

Basically, if the teams on our schedule end up performing as expected, our resume could end up looking good even if we experience highly volatile play from a talented, but mostly inexperienced group.
I want to see a Pac-12 that's good enough that in a re-load year like this we could go in knowing that 17 or 18 wins will have us on the correct side of the bubble line.

Good to know. Gonna make sure I don’t skip any PT now.
I haven’t had hip issues, but with other things, it’s also about not doing things before you’re ready. It can be frustrating when you feel great but you’re still under restrictions that give it enough time to heal.

I haven’t had hip issues, but with other things, it’s also about not doing things before you’re ready. It can be frustrating when you feel great but you’re still under restrictions that give it enough time to heal.
Never dealt with a hip issue either really, minor type bull****. A knee, I can relate to that. Also, the coming back too early part. Other things like getting shot up so you could play also applied.

Nice to see Wilner picking Buffs in weekly power ratings where I have been also: 4th.

Jake Shapiro also had good point that Tad says this team is really good, & Tad’s only been wrong about his teams once at CU:

Interesting that some of the so-called “media experts” recognize CU may have a special team. But fan-base may be too traumatized from years of low expectations to notice the shift happening before it’s eyes? I’ve waited 30 years for Sweet-16 level roster. I’m not missing the boat! So excited for this season, & the next couple!

Hope I’m right, cause Avery Brown joining Hurlburt & Smith would be 3 years in a row of multiple 4-star level talent. Brown is as under-rated as Walker & da Silva were: all 3 should have been/should be 4-stars.

Even if we miss on the best passer in ‘22 class/tough, scoring, 2-way point-guard/future holder of keys to O/ Avery Brown, we’ve offered 2 6’10/ top-30 guys in ‘23-who live in our state: Fall & Diop.

Amazingly, we also seem to be out-front on ‘23’s Drew Steffe & Gehrig Normand, who could get keys to O if Brown doesn’t see the light...shining off the FlatIrons! They’re both big enough to play 1-3 spots.

In ‘24, we already have offer in to one of the best power forwards I’ve seen come out of the west coast- Jacob Cofie.

Win-Win-Win-Win! LIFE IS SOOOO GOOD!

Back