What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expectations For This Year

What are your expectations for this year?

• Tourney Bound

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Tourney Bubble/NIT Lock

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • NIT Bound

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Gonna Be A Long Year

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope to make the tournament this year. I don't expect it. With so much change I honestly don't know what to expect. It's been 4 years since I was this unsure heading into a season. Almost nothing would surprise me except being really godawful, because we have too much talent and too good a coach for that to happen.
Going tourney bubble/nit lock until after I see the Tennessee game.

Even if we miss on the best passer in ‘22 class/tough, scoring, 2-way point-guard/future holder of keys to O/ Avery Brown, we’ve offered 2 6’10/ top-30 guys in ‘23-who live in our state: Fall & Diop.

Amazingly, we also seem to be out-front on ‘23’s Drew Steffe & Gehrig Normand, who could get keys to O if Brown doesn’t see the light...shining off the FlatIrons! They’re both big enough to play 1-3 spots.

In ‘24, we already have offer in to one of the best power forwards I’ve seen come out of the west coast- Jacob Cofie.

Win-Win-Win-Win! LIFE IS SOOOO GOOD!
Fall and Diop are both at the new all basketball school right?

Fall and Diop are both at the new all basketball school right?
Yes, Denver Prep Academy-in old ABA Rockets practice gym. Diop (Pronounced "Jiop") 6'10 point guard w/ multiple quadruple doubles may be higher need than Fall?

Yes, Denver Prep Academy-in old ABA Rockets practice gym. Diop (Pronounced "Jiop") 6'10 point guard w/ multiple quadruple doubles may be higher need than Fall?
You'd know better than I would. I don't get to watch much CBB because I'll be refereeing high school right after Thanksgiving through the end of February.

Hmmm, there's a word I'm looking for to describe DPA. It's right on the tip of my tongue. Got it!
DIRTY

I wish this poll hadn't closed.

If the trajectory of this team moves the way I think it is, I believe we're tourney capable.

If the trajectory of this team moves the way I think it is, I believe we're tourney capable.
I think we're only tourney capable if we win the P12 tourney. Otherwise, we would have to stack some good wins out of conference, say winning 2 of CSU, Tenn, and Kansas. Don't think we'll be good enough for that early on.

I am excited for this team and feel they will be very entertaining to follow this year, but lets put last night into context, they beat a Big Sky team in overtime. Not quite ready to claim them as a Tourney team now.

I think we're only tourney capable if we win the P12 tourney. Otherwise, we would have to stack some good wins out of conference, say winning 2 of CSU, Tenn, and Kansas. Don't think we'll be good enough for that early on.
other hope would be the P12 balling out OOC and us coming on real strong in conference season. Which seems unlikely.

I think that's what we'd need to get a 6- or better seed. If we're talking about just making the Dance as an 11, the bar is lower.

I think that's what we'd need to get a 6- or better seed. If we're talking about just making the Dance as an 11, the bar is lower.
I guess I'd admit to having trouble envisioning what we'll be (ie do we protect the keg like past tourney teams?). And that's to say nothing of how the PAC will fare in OOC.

Last night did not change my opinion of my expectations. I highly doubt this is a tourney team. However, NIT is very realistic and should be a minimum every year as long as Tad is coaching.

Way too early to have a clue really. Lot of talent, no doubt. Yday for me, lacked a lot of flow, but guard play was maybe a bit of a positive. Kind of a strange game ref wise so hard to gauge. Ebbs and whatever for sure this season…who shows up down the stretch!

I was pleasantly surprised by the guard play. Kee looks really good, and by the end of the year Simpson will be getting major minutes.

Some positives to report on guys we've not seen:
Kee looked more confident as the game went on and has some athleticism.
Simpson also showed some explosiveness off the dribble and ability to create.
Lovering is a bit raw, and too skinny, but has a high ceiling here.
Clifford looked like a rising star. Very impressed with all phases. He got some minutes because Da Silva was in foul trouble, but I'd expect he will get minutes going forward.

Some of our vets struggled and I was disappointed in Battey. A foul a minute, and when he did get some P.T. late in the game, he ends up tangling with their big under the basket at the student section and could easily have been ejected for what I saw. Not good. I expect more. He can't do that!

Walker was invisible (which I had hoped would be a problem of the past) and while O'Brien looks like Hondo Havlicek when moving on the court, when he touches the ball, the comparison ends. I hope first game jitters.

Some of our vets struggled and I was disappointed in Battey. A foul a minute, and when he did get some P.T. late in the game, he ends up tangling with their big under the basket at the student section and could easily have been ejected for what I saw. Not good. I expect more. He can't do that!

Walker was invisible (which I had hoped would be a problem of the past) and while O'Brien looks like Hondo Havlicek when moving on the court, when he touches the ball, the comparison ends. I hope first game jitters.
Agree Battey still needs to work on foul trouble and Bari had too many turnovers, but these are some effective stat lines for a couple of guys you think were struggling or invisible.

B4AB495A-4170-47AA-B692-D00214A22395.jpeg

Agreed, but JFC, six turnovers!
I think 4 or 5 were in the first half, and maybe all 3 steals came in the second half.

He started off listless and sloppy with the ball, then played intense for most of the second half. Will be interesting (occasionally infuriating?) to see if he's a guy who just kind of starts off slow before getting a rhythm.

Agreed, but JFC, six turnovers!
I think having the ball in your hands off the dribble is a really hard skill to master for players who weren't guards growing up. Jabari had that great drive and kick to tie it at the end of regulation, but he blew by a close out in the first half and plowed squarely through a defender like he didn't even see him. I think the ball handling/turnovers could be a bigger challenge for him than foul trouble.

Tourney + upper half finish in the P12 is too much to ask out of this year’s squad?

Back