What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

You can’t be serious, right? Let’s blame Allbuffs for the recruiting failures now?

…… because the results on the field and watching the Buffs get blown out AGAIN is a great way to attract recruits?
And don’t forget, even our own press homers blasting…which is probably more impactful that a bunch of idiots posting on the interblogs

I would actually agree with you if CU had the same record but we were seeing improvements. It stinks to see the program back in 2012 mode. We are spiraling and it’s evident that HCKD has no idea how to turn it around - the fact that we are in the tail spin speaks to his lack of understanding of the what is happening around him. He can’t evaluate coaches, has no input on game day, and doesn’t appear concerned about the sh**show he created.

The thing I am most disappointed in HCKD is his failure to personally deliver on his main promise when he got hired. He talked about how committed he was to teaching and developing players, yet he has no words of encouragement or reflection during games and players have regressed.

Bottom line, I might feel differently if he was trying. He isn’t, and the program can’t afford to let it continue.
KD kinda uses the military montra of a general that says nothing and somehow the troops are supposed to know whether they are doing good or bad. Todays players like Tik Tok type of feedback all the time. I thought PJ Fleck was a tool, but his teams and his antics are something I would be happy to have even part of now.
KD must be gone or we might not have a single talented player left around to build on

We need to build a program, not fire another coach. College FB sees CU as a graveyard for coaches and a dysfunctional program> Firing KD would just add to that.

Can you imagine a recruit reading Allbuffs? They'd want to stay away for sure.

IMO, if the regents have a voice, KD stays. Jumping ship from the B12, spending a fortune to preen for the P12, then having our "partners" jump ship - a wet dream for football haters,
Going winless again next year under Dorrell would certainly provide consistency.

Your argument might have some merit if the team was remotely improving or recruiting was improving. Neither is true. In fact, there is not a shred of evidence that Karl Dorrell is even a marginally qualified coach. Let me, again for the 12th time, recount his career in positions of authority.

At CU, he was OC under Neuheisel where he inherited a terrific team, which quickly started to deteriorate on offense under his watch. The talent was so good, it somewhat masked how bad he was. The deterioration was there, and anyone watching CU post McCartney could absolutely sense the program was headed in the wrong direction.

When Neuheisel jumped ship to UW (in part because he was on the hot seat at CU), he brought Dorrell with him as OC. He was terrible, and Neuheisel quietly forced him out because they were friends and teammates from UCLA. Dorrell had a relatively soft landing as an NFL position coach, keeping his resume in tack.

He was then given his next leadership position at UCLA, where he inherited a ton of talent. Those rosters were stocked with NFL talent, which he parlayed into highly mediocre seasons. The UCLA beat writers to this day insist his bowl record at UCLA was one of the biggest mirages in college football. He was soon fired. All of these writers warned us that Dorrell would be historically awful when CU hired him in 2020.

After another stint as a position coach, Dorrell’s next leadership opportunity is OC at Vanderbilt where he produced one of the worst offenses in Vanderbilt history, and he was fired after a single abysmal year.

At CU, the 2020 4-0 start was largely due to the fact that he couldn’t actually install anything new, and relied mostly on the schemes in place. Since that time, he’s hardly won a game.

His hiring of assistants has been awful. He has hired one terrible coach after another. OL Coach Rodrigue, OC Sanford, and DC Wilson have all been lambasted as bad hires, and the results speak for themselves.

Karl Dorrell is probably a nice guy. I think he is a dutiful soldier that makes a good position coach. But that is his ceiling.

He needs to go. Today.

My fear this morning is the half measure.
If KD is announced gone, we can begin again.
If Phil and Rick do nothing I will be bummed, but sadly not surprised.
If Wilson (or any other assistant or coordinator for that matter) is sacked to placate the fan base I will be livid. We've already seen that movie, it sucked.

Bottom line, I might feel differently if he was trying. He isn’t, and the program can’t afford to let it cocontinue.
I believe he thinks he is trying, and he believes everyone else is the problem. It's not a case of him not trying, the problem is, he is incapable and is an incompetent football coach.

RG had built up credibility and AD equity with the Champions Center build and MT hire. Now, his legacy will be the Dorrell hire, staying with him to long and will inevitably lead to him being replaced shortly as well.

A solid two months to get the coaching hire figured out would be nice. And who knows if it’s Bronco then he could start right away. Mine the portal and get to work on recruiting now

I believe he thinks he is trying, and he believes everyone else is the problem. It's not a case of him not trying, the problem is, he is incapable and is an incompetent football coach.

RG had built up credibility and AD equity with the Champions Center build and MT hire. Now, his legacy will be the Dorrell hire, staying with him to long and will inevitably lead to him being replaced shortly as well.

right now, it’s not the hire as much as the inaction despite national embarassment. The longer it takes to fix this, the worse the legacy will be. There is a clear choice that could help CU that even the local press, fan base, etc is advocating for

We need to build a program, not fire another coach. College FB sees CU as a graveyard for coaches and a dysfunctional program> Firing KD would just add to that.

IMO, if the regents have a voice, KD stays. Jumping ship from the B12, spending a fortune to preen for the P12, then having our "partners" jump ship - a wet dream for football haters,
Congrats on the successful lobotomy. Let us know how it works out for you.

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

I'm annoyed that KD won't just resign. He was pulled off the couch, given millions of dollars, and never really had a career lined up as a CFB head coach. Take your bucks, let the school off the hook and resign.
He had a job already. It’s just that his buddies decided to make him much richer. Until you fire the buddy in charge, KD stays and will get the money he is owed.

How about we just announce the hiring of Dorrell’s replacement for the 2023 season now - let that coach assemble a staff, start working the portal but don’t fire Dorrell since we’re paying him anyway. Make him coach the rest of the season knowing it’s his last. He’ll either quit or gets to shoulder the 0-fer entire on his own shoulders.

I'm speechless.

Is there truth to the rumor that before Dorrell was hired boosters offered Rick George a ton of money only if they had a say in the hire?

My kids told me this is what they’d heard and I kind of remember something to that effect was floating around at the time.

Anyone else getting the feeling that there will be no announcement or even any communication from CU today? Any other program would have taken action by now.

feels pretty hopeless.

Back