What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

It may be a positive.

As bad as we suck right now we need the attention focused elsewhere.

If the Broncos weren't doing well the fans would see how bad we are and we would have no hope of getting them back.

Better to be ignored than to be the butt of all thejokes.
No this program/administration needs all the scrutiny. They need to be hearing how much of a laughingstock they are. The apathetic nature of the Denver sports media toward CU is part of the reason why they’ve been in this position for almost two decades

It may be a positive.

As bad as we suck right now we need the attention focused elsewhere.

If the Broncos weren't doing well the fans would see how bad we are and we would have no hope of getting them back.

Better to be ignored than to be the butt of all thejokes.
you could be right and I'm open minded to being shown wrong, however I still believe that the team being ignored by fans and media is worse than negative attention.

I typically read BuffZone chat-replay to hear how B Howell views things week to week. I thought it was hilarious to see him respond to a questioner as to why the local media isn’t more aggressive with tough questions and follow ups with HCKD. He basically said if they get too aggressive they run the risk of the dept shutting them out completely. I say let the dept take that path. That’d just alienate the program further while the losses mount. It would be programmatical suicide and likely bring about change faster.

I typically read BuffZone chat-replay to hear how B Howell views things week to week. I thought it was hilarious to see him respond to a questioner as to why the local media isn’t more aggressive with tough questions and follow ups with HCKD. He basically said if they get too aggressive they run the risk of the dept shutting them out completely. I say let the dept take that path. That’d just alienate the program further while the losses mount. It would be programmatical suicide and likely bring about change faster.
It's because somehow they are afraid of Plati. I guess after years of being protective like a mother hen, local media has a very real concern that they will lose access if they're critical.

It's because somehow they are afraid of Plati. I guess after years of being protective like a mother hen, local media has a very real concern that they will lose access if they're critical.
Which for guys like Howell and Adam is a big deal since it's their entire livelihood. The network sports guys can survive without Buffs coverage, but I would hope if Plati every barred them from access, they would all go scorched earth on the program.

Indeed. But what access does the local media really even have now? Access to propaganda. Nothing of value is being derived week to week. It’s all just stay the course, been here before kind of garbage. Maybe it’s better to get adversarial with the AD, calling attention to the negative trajectory of the program.

Most of us don’t expect the football program to generate 9+ wins a year on a regular basis. That isn’t going to happen. But it’s reasonable to expect that they win more than they lose most seasons. They are not on that trajectory and the media needs to ask why even if it hurts Plati’s oversized feelings.

They are not on that trajectory and the media needs to ask why even if it hurts Plati’s oversized feelings.
Pointing Laughing GIF

Indeed. But what access does the local media really even have now? Access to propaganda. Nothing of value is being derived week to week. It’s all just stay the course, been here before kind of garbage. Maybe it’s better to get adversarial with the AD, calling attention to the negative trajectory of the program.

Most of us don’t expect the football program to generate 9+ wins a year on a regular basis. That isn’t going to happen. But it’s reasonable to expect that they win more than they lose most seasons. They are not on that trajectory and the media needs to ask why even if it hurts Plati’s oversized feelings.
One of CU's bigger and more involved donors. If more of them spoke out it might drive some change

So basically, asking tough questions at the pressers would be like the NoKor press (HaHa) asking Kim Jong Un why there are so many dead flies in the rice rations.

if anyone has seen a credible financial analysis that looks at the ROI for a university investing in their athletics, TIA for linking it here.

I'm really curious if the evidence is compelling whether its in a University's long term best interest overall (not just financially) to invest in sports. I'm guessing the evidence is not compelling, or the administrations at almost all major schools would be motivated to do so.

Oh Hell. I highlighted a YouTube story about Kelli Brooks and her donation(s) to the CU program and it somehow pulled up video I linked yesterday to the "Stuff Not Important Enough to Get It's Own Thread" thread. Sorry about that....

if anyone has seen a credible financial analysis that looks at the ROI for a university investing in their athletics, TIA for linking it here.

I'm really curious if the evidence is compelling whether its in a University's long term best interest overall (not just financially) to invest in sports. I'm guessing the evidence is not compelling, or the administrations at almost all major schools would be motivated to do so.
There’s the Alabama study that compares enrollment/applications pre Saban and enrollment/applications during Saban era and it’s an overwhelming positive correlation between football success and number of apps.

This would definitely be the case with CU, too. Nobody is coming to CU for the academics, unless aerospace/engineering type of program. People come from out of state to party and take advantage of the outdoors. A really good football program would attract so many more people, thus making it more competitive (and $$$) and give academic reputation a boost as well.

There’s the Alabama study that compares enrollment/applications pre Saban and enrollment/applications during Saban era and it’s an overwhelming positive correlation between football success and number of apps.

This would definitely be the case with CU, too. Nobody is coming to CU for the academics, unless aerospace/engineering type of program. People come from out of state to party and take advantage of the outdoors. A really good football program would attract so many more people, thus making it more competitive (and $$$) and give academic reputation a boost as well.
If you look at Instagram, there are a ton of kids who grew up all across the country who are interested in Alabama - almost entirely because of football success/partying. Alabama is becoming a true national university in a not so nice part of the world.

If you look at Instagram, there are a ton of kids who grew up all across the country who are interested in Alabama - almost entirely because of football success/partying. Alabama is becoming a true national university in a not so nice part of the world.
My SIL just started a professor gig at a school nearby Mobile. My brother is putting in a final 12-18 mos. here to take a better/more robust pension, and most likely moving down there to soak in retirement. My step-niece and niece are now Frosh at Bama. Which was an upgrade from attending kNU. So, the national interest is there if two natives bail out of going to Lincoln to take advantage of squeaking in on in-state enrollment to Bama.

My SIL just started a professor gig at a school nearby Mobile. My brother is putting in a final 12-18 mos. here to take a better/more robust pension, and most likely moving down there to soak in retirement. My step-niece and niece are now Frosh at Bama. Which was an upgrade from attending kNU. So, the national interest is there if two natives bail out of going to Lincoln to take advantage of squeaking in on in-state enrollment to Bama.
Good for them. Not to insult either place too graphically, but isn't living in Nebraska / Alabama kind of a Sophie's Choice?

no question that doing well in sports leads to increased applications. however that doesn't really answer the ROI question (but does hint at one aspect of it).

Good for them. Not to insult either place too graphically, but isn't living in ****braska / Alabama kind of a Sophie's Choice?
Probably. My brother has painted the scenic landscape of Mobile pretty well. Basically the only thing saving it would be the proximity to the nicer parts of the Gulf coast. My brother desperately wants to retire in the Phoenix area - so, I take that in to consideration when he tells me about the woes of living in Mobile for a few years. From what I’ve seen of Tuscaloosa, Bama and kNU could be sister-cousin college cities. Though, Bama gets the nod for HC queen in that analogy.

no question that doing well in sports leads to increased applications. however that doesn't really answer the ROI question (but does hint at one aspect of it).
I kind of wonder about this too. Driving more applications is great but I don’t think CU has a goal of dramatically increasing enrollment. If they are getting a deeper pool of really qualified applications, that’s great, but if the increase is in football fans on the margins of meeting enrollment criteria I’m not sure it adds a lot.

The answer has to be yes, there is an ROI impact otherwise why would all these schools do it?

I kind of wonder about this too. Driving more applications is great but I don’t think CU has a goal of dramatically increasing enrollment. If they are getting a deeper pool of really qualified applications, that’s great, but if the increase is in football fans on the margins of meeting enrollment criteria I’m not sure it adds a lot.

The answer has to be yes, there is an ROI impact otherwise why would all these schools do it?
I don't think there's any question that success in sports impacts ROI.

the question is whether the impact is such that the return is greater than the investment. this is the $1b question, IMO.

Well, selectivity and admittance rate matter. And yes, of course, it’s going to bring more high level people into the fold by sheer numbers. More selective, lower admittance rate, better academic reputation.

I don't think there is any question that a strong football program has a lot of benefits to a university as long as the school does not go crazy and lower academic standards or cover up unacceptable behavior by athletes and coaches. I think too many of the people that control CU have the belief/fear that you can't have a successful football program without scandal and accepting a bunch of student athletes that have no possibility of academically succeeding in a legitimate way. Because of that fear they are very comfortable making sure that the program does not become too successful.

Well, selectivity and admittance rate matter. And yes, of course, it’s going to bring more high level people into the fold by sheer numbers. More selective, lower admittance rate, better academic reputation.
Boulder is reaching maximum density which means the university can’t grow enrollment too much. How much? I’m not sure. So, does that mean increasing the out of state student ratio even more? The state legislature will get itchy about that and does that incremental tuition revenue boost really even make much of a difference? I’d love to be wrong here.

Boulder is reaching maximum density which means the university can’t grow enrollment too much. How much? I’m not sure. So, does that mean increasing the out of state student ratio even more? The state legislature will get itchy about that and does that incremental tuition revenue boost really even make much of a difference? I’d love to be wrong here.
I’m not saying increase enrollment necessarily, but rather increase the number of applicants (good and bad) and in turn, increase competition and lower the admittance rate.

not to speak for Yak, but the economic benefit with a higher application rate is that the university admissions dept. accepts a high percentage of top applicants (vs a higher number of applicants). this theoretically leads to higher performing alumni making bigger donations down the road.

Back