What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

We cant afford a staff of closers. Back then I suspect good Assistant coaches were cheaper than they are now.

Also, this admin above RG hasnt shown an incling of being supportive of success.
I’ve said this many times but feel the need to repeat it. We can’t afford a staff that competes with Oregon or OSU of Alabama but we’re paying enough to expect better than what we’re getting. Agree that RG isn’t showing the inclination to be successful but he is throwing a lot of money at a staff that is underperforming.

I want to see lots of Rice, Bru, and Smith on offense next week. Keep the spread plays going

The pac 12 crew today said at halftime that the Arizona D had no tackles from their linebackers when CU ran the ball. For some reason our run pro is absolute garbage right now and the pass pro improved a little.
That reason you’re searching for regarding run pro is the OL, all five individuals no matter who they put on the field, is historically bad. Difficult to imagine it being any worse. I saw guys getting absolutely blown the eff up multiple times yesterday.

Pass pro looked, and was, better but AZ are fricken awful so... Nik stated elsewhere, true barometer game in Berkeley next week.

I get that people are pissed at RG. Looking back, his mistake was not putting a bigger payout in the former guy’s contract if he left early.

And KD gave up an NFL gig to come here. I’m not sure what he made there.
Not much. Most NFL position coaches make $250-$300k. Maybe he made more because he’s an older veteran coach, but can’t imagine it was more than $400-$500k.

Also, “giving up an NFL gig to come here” sounds a bit dramatic. In reality, he gave up a ****ty nfl gig, that he was on the verge of retiring from, for roughly a 7-8x increase in compensation.

Not much. Most NFL position coaches make $250-$300k. Maybe he made more because he’s an older veteran coach, but can’t imagine it was more than $400-$500k.

Also, “giving up an NFL gig to come here” sounds a bit dramatic. In reality, he gave up a ****ty nfl gig, that he was on the verge of retiring from, for roughly a 7-8x increase in compensation.
Yeah. Good points. And KD wanted to end up in Boulder. RG had all the bargaining chips. Well, most anyway.

Yeah. Good points. And KD wanted to end up in Boulder. RG had all the bargaining chips. Well, most anyway.
The only leverage KD had was that it was mid March and CU didn’t have a coach. The pool of exciting, qualified candidates willing to jump from their current situations at that point in time was probably much smaller than normal.

I get that people are pissed at RG. Looking back, his mistake was not putting a bigger payout in the former guy’s contract if he left early.
It was a weird set of circumstances that caused FHCMT to leave after 1 year. And he told them 'no' at least once during their search because it's such bad optics to leave a HC job that fast, but they came back with meeting every demand his agent made.

RG's mistake was that he didn't repeat the Mel Tucker hiring formula with an extra $3+ million in his war chest and a bit more talent in the cupboard to attract the next coach.

Nothing wrong with being a stepping stone job. In fact, it's a good thing because it's only a stepping stone if you have success.

It was a weird set of circumstances that caused FHCMT to leave after 1 year. And he told them 'no' at least once during their search because it's such bad optics to leave a HC job that fast, but they came back with meeting every demand his agent made.

RG's mistake was that he didn't repeat the Mel Tucker hiring formula with an extra $3+ million in his war chest and a bit more talent in the cupboard to attract the next coach.

Nothing wrong with being a stepping stone job. In fact, it's a good thing because it's only a stepping stone if you have success.
In retrospect RG would have been better of naming an interim coach and taking his time to find a guy for the next year.

You don't think we could have gotten a P5 coordinator to leave for a HC job? MSU got a P5 HC to leave for their job at that time, after all.
Likely but it may not have been the guy we wanted.

No question that if we could have found one of those guys that we wanted you take him but if not then don't make a panic hire like they did and tie yourself up with a boat anchor contract.

Likely but it may not have been the guy we wanted.

No question that if we could have found one of those guys that we wanted you take him but if not then don't make a panic hire like they did and tie yourself up with a boat anchor contract.
But you don't have to make a panic hire. That's the point. Signing Day was over. We had our S&C Coach remain to run winter conditioning.

There was no reason not to spend a couple weeks finding the right guy. I can't excuse that hiring process or pretend that it was a choice between a panic hire or spending a year with an interim coach. That's a false narrative.

But you don't have to make a panic hire. That's the point. Signing Day was over. We had our S&C Coach remain to run winter conditioning.

There was no reason not to spend a couple weeks finding the right guy. I can't excuse that hiring process or pretend that it was a choice between a panic hire or spending a year with an interim coach. That's a false narrative.
Don't disagree with you at all. Ideal would have been to take some time, identify one or more qualified candidates, communicate with them to determine their level of interest and what it would take to get them.

If that didn't work though it would not have been a bad thing to take temporary steps and set ourselves up to find the right guy before the next season.

We didn't do any of that. Instead when a couple of high profile guys turned us down we panicked and gave a terrible for us contract to a guy who wasn't qualified.

I wouldn't have been bothered by a couple of weeks or a few months. Most important was the get the right guy, we didn't and we are stuck with him.

Attn: RG
This is how it works

You have to respect an AD who basically comes out and says that they’re firing the guy for not winning enough. I mean, everybody knows that’s why you fire a coach, but the announcement is usually couched in language about wanting to go in a different direction, blah, blah, blah. Not at LSU - “this guy doesn’t win enough”

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

In hindsight, it would have been the best option. It would have avoided hiring Dorrell, and shown that Chev isn’t it. He would have likely been let go at the end of the year and they could have gone through a legitimate search.
I hear ya but…

What if Chiv went 4-2 or 3-3 last year?

Back