What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Ok - next up. Who should have been OC, Chev, or the blocking sled salesman?
Kap wanted to stay in Boulder, but couldn't just wait and see what happened while Tucker made him an offer to be MSU's OL coach. I think it's possible that the offensive staff in 2020 could have looked something like this...

HC - Chev
OC/OL - Kap
QB - Someone equal or better than Langsdorf
RB - Hagan
WR - Someone who would recruit
TE - Someone better than Cook who would recruit

Way better than the cluster**** we have going on right now, IMO

Once. Again. I am not suggesting that he should have been the HC over anyone else.... other than Karl Dorrell.

Where has Dorrell taken this program that Chev wouldn't have? At the very least recruiting would be better than it currently is, IMO.
We don't go to a bowl game last year with Chev as HC. KD is at least an experienced professional who has had this job on the big stage.

Kap wanted to stay in Boulder, but couldn't just wait and see what happened while Tucker made him an offer to be MSU's OL coach. I think it's possible that the offensive staff in 2020 could have looked something like this...

HC - Chev
OC/OL - Kap
QB - Someone equal or better than Langsdorf
RB - Hagan
WR - Someone who would recruit
TE - Someone better than Cook who would recruit

Way better than the cluster**** we have going on right now, IMO
I think it's funny if you think Chev could hire a better staff than KD. The QB Coach & OC probably would have been Moschetti & Kap would have done what he did.

We don't go to a bowl game last year with Chev as HC. KD is at least an experienced professional who has had this job on the big stage.
Kind of my point of this whole conversation, nik. Chev being elevated to HC on an interim basis would have likely led to a bad 2020 season and then a real search for an actual candidate would have ensued in the offseason. Instead, Dorrell got this team playing above it's capabilities in a bizarre year, culminating in an embarrassing loss to a mediocre Texas team on national TV, then following it up with a full season of embarrassment to the depths not seen since Jon Embree. Now what?

Kind of my point of this whole conversation, nik. Chev being elevated to HC on an interim basis would have likely led to a bad 2020 season and then a real search for an actual candidate would have ensued in the offseason. Instead, Dorrell got this team playing above it's capabilities in a bizarre year, culminating in an embarrassing loss to a mediocre Texas team on national TV, then following it up by a full season of embarrassment to the depths not seen since Jon Embree. Now what?
So your point is that a horrible alternate decision would have been better because the results would have been worse in the short term & easier to move on from?

Yak, I get what you're saying but the problem I see is that RG and LC reportedly love Chev. Say he gets the interim job like you suggest and say we still go 4-2 last year (not really a stretch considering the weirdness). I honestly can see RG/LC giving Chev a similar contract to what they gave KD - meaning we're in the same spot, only a year earlier in the process, but with potentially better recruiting. Which means we're Embree again.

There is no good answer in this situation. The problem starts at the top.

Yak, I get what you're saying but the problem I see is that RG and LC reportedly love Chev. Say he gets the interim job like you suggest and say we still go 4-2 last year (not really a stretch considering the weirdness). I honestly can see RG/LC giving Chev a similar contract to what they gave KD - meaning we're in the same spot, only a year earlier in the process, but with potentially better recruiting. Which means we're Embree again.

There is no good answer in this situation. The problem starts at the top.
I agree, but in this hypothetical, I'll take better recruiting if given the choice.

The offensive staff is led by the guy you'd prefer to promote 🤪
No, the offensive staff is led by Karl Dorrell. I'm also not preferring to promote anyone at this point; just saying that with Chev at HC, at least the recruiting might be at a somewhat competent level. I'm confident Chev could have HC'd this program to a 2-4 record to this point all the same as KD did.

I agree, but in this hypothetical, I'll take better recruiting if given the choice.
Your POV requires so many assumptions is the main problem I'm having.

1. That RG would have only offered and Chev would have been willing to accept an interim tag.

2. That, working under that interim tag and with Chev's professional network/standing, he would have hired a better staff.

3. That as an interim he wouldn't have struggled to retain players during an open transfer year.

4. That he would have found religion on recruiting- something he doesn't like to do- once put in a position where he doesn't have a boss demanding it of him.

The problem was with the way the hire was made, the staff he was saddled with and the ridiculous contract awarded. The scenario you hypothesize was almost certainly not possible and had a high likelihood of being about the only alternative to KD which would have been drastically worse.

1. That RG would have only offered and Chev would have been willing to accept an interim tag.

2. That, working under that interim tag and with Chev's professional network/standing, he would have hired a better staff.

3. That as an interim he wouldn't have struggled to retain players during an open transfer year.

4. That he would have found religion on recruiting- something he doesn't like to do- once put in a position where he doesn't have a boss demanding it of him.

The problem was with the way the hire was made, the staff he was saddled with and the ridiculous contract awarded. The scenario you hypothesize was almost certainly not possible and had a high likelihood of being about the only alternative to KD which would have been drastically worse.

#1 is a damn good point. RG probably would have not only given him a guaranteed job, but he'd throw an extra 2-3 years in too.

We are talking about which is less ****tier, so ultimately, we end up in a ****ty spot.

In this, which is less ****ty hypothetical scenario, I think you go with Chev because you can move on a lot quicker when it failed. That alone would push me towards that hire. Ultimately, he would fail and fail big, but at least you move on after 2 years.

However, the same athletic director is in charge, so RG has already proven to have given up completely, so either way he goes and hires Dorrell after this year and we just nuke the Champions Center from space and move on with our lives.

Fair points, although I don't really subscribe to the idea that it would have been drastically worse.

I think I get it now. What I really think we're all trying to say here is, screw this argument it's 9 days until basketball season.

Pick Me Colorado Buffs GIF by Pac12Network

If Chev really wanted to be a head coach and show he's the top choice for CU or any other school, you do more, not less. Saying the recruiting would be better under Chev as an interim is just wishful thinking, or he'd be busting his balls recruiting right now to show what he's got. His record as a OC isn't going to get schools beating down the door to hire him.

So Chris Brown coaches now. Umm ok? Damn good back, but what has he been doing? The game he played isn't this one, even though it would work with the right folks. You have to have them, we dont.

If Dorrell is fired, Gary Barnett should be the interim coach
He's 75 years old and hasn't coached in 16 years.

fwiw, on the hypothetical we needed an interim (won't happen) and also didn't tap someone from the staff, I'd go with Cabral. He's done it before successfully, has an existing relationship with the team in his role, and at least we know he'd make them feel loved to minimize quitting or mass exodus.

Back